Ebay bidding shenanigans? What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suicide_squeeze
    • Dec 2008

Re: Ebay bidding shenanigans? What do you think?

Originally posted by mattmueller
    As it turns out the correct answer is A, dedicated fan of the superstar who only wants authentic items at a certain price and only from XYZ. B***X bid on the identical item after already winning one because they wanted two of them. Turns out that it is not really that hard to look at the seller's history and winning bidders to decode the B***X system, find that ebayer and shoot them a quick message. Of course they could be lying, but their bids have not shown up in the most recent auction, and the price ended below $150.

Matt

That's because YOU called them on their scam, Matt. They had to do SOMEthing to redirect.......and this "buyer" probably QUICKLY called his dad/brother performing the auctions, and said "HEY, I had better not bid on this one at the same level.....WE'RE BEING WATCHED!!"

Why don't you tell us who the seller is, and what the item is......I think someone mentioned....a bat? I'd like to check out this ficticious bidding history stuff for myself. I'd like to see the "feedback exchanged" between the two.

Comment

• jppopma
      • Mar 2006

Matt,

I agree with Squeeze. You can only take a person's word for what it is worth. When you don't know who that person is, it is even harder. I also think that the "buyer" is related to the seller; and in turn, will tell you a pretty convincing story.

If seller A is using buyer B to shill their items. Of course buyer B will make up a very nice story about the items and hype them up as much as possible for seller A. I would not be suprised if he didn't tell you that he was only bidding because the first one he bought was just so darn perfect that he needed another one....

It's you money dude, but we are just trying to look out for you.

JP

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Swoboda4
        what's the problem with telling us who the seller is. All you did was state facts you didn't slander anyone.
        Exactly........c'mon.....cough it up....

Comment

• rj_lucas
          • Apr 2009

This is one of the oldest tricks in the eBay book i.e. a seller (or their proxy) bids an item up to the point where the seller is willing to sell it to someone else. By doing so, the seller effectively sets a reserve price without paying the eBay Reserve Fee.

Rick
          rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

• mattmueller
            • Dec 2007

There is something about the fire, ready, aim mentality on the forum lately that is a bit off, in my humble opinion. Since I am satisfied with the explanation and do not believe there is anything shady going on, I see no reason to identify the seller or buyer.
            email is matmuell at umich.edu

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
              • Dec 2008

There is something about the fire, ready, aim mentality on the forum lately that is a bit off, in my humble opinion. Since I am satisfied with the explanation and do not believe there is anything shady going on, I see no reason to identify the seller or buyer.

Matt,

No problem. It's not important if we know.

But I am curious....you started this thread, and you seemed to be on track for exposing something amiss. Now you are taking a 180 degree about face on what more than a few friendly members have identified as a gimmick response for shill bidding.

What was your reasoning for starting the thread and asking for our thoughts in the first place then?

Baiting us so you can comment on our mentality? That doesn't seem logical. So.....what's up? I have always thought you to be a reasonable forum member, and still do. But you seem to be eerilly off on your conclusion. You may be right.......but most of us feel it's just not likely.

Comment

• mattmueller
                • Dec 2007

Squeeze: The point in asking other's opinions was to see what other people thought. I thought something odd was going on, was bored at work one day so I started off the thread. After having a few more facts come to light shortly thereafter, it no longer appears to me to be an issue. This was not just a case of the suspicious bidder simply telling me that they want to own more than one of the items being bid on, I am not quite that dumb/naive. It was the explanation provided and the ability to look at their bidding and buying feedback for a period of more than the last 31 days allowed by the disguised bidder history in each auction. If I had that information from the start, it would not have been an issue to begin with. If the odd bidding occurs again in the future with no reasonable explanation, I will let people know to be wary of the seller's auctions.

I have not gone 180 degrees on the subject at all. I may have hinted that I thought there was shill bidding, but I was not in the 100%, has to be shady business going on camp. If I was in that camp, I would have approached the subject much differently. Frankly, I am not 100% in the everything is fine camp yet either, just comfortable enough with the situation to not start accusing people of shady business. If you think I am an idiot, I guess I am ok with that.

Also, if I wanted to start a thread on people's mentality, I would just start a thread on it, or add to any of the others that are already out there. That said, I do find some of the responses interesting.

Matt
                email is matmuell at umich.edu

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                  • Dec 2008

Squeeze: The point in asking other's opinions was to see what other people thought. I thought something odd was going on, was bored at work one day so I started off the thread. After having a few more facts come to light shortly thereafter, it no longer appears to me to be an issue. This was not just a case of the suspicious bidder simply telling me that they want to own more than one of the items being bid on, I am not quite that dumb/naive. It was the explanation provided and the ability to look at their bidding and buying feedback for a period of more than the last 31 days allowed by the disguised bidder history in each auction. If I had that information from the start, it would not have been an issue to begin with. If the odd bidding occurs again in the future with no reasonable explanation, I will let people know to be wary of the seller's auctions.

I have not gone 180 degrees on the subject at all. I may have hinted that I thought there was shill bidding, but I was not in the 100%, has to be shady business going on camp. If I was in that camp, I would have approached the subject much differently. Frankly, I am not 100% in the everything is fine camp yet either, just comfortable enough with the situation to not start accusing people of shady business. If you think I am an idiot, I guess I am ok with that.

Also, if I wanted to start a thread on people's mentality, I would just start a thread on it, or add to any of the others that are already out there. That said, I do find some of the responses interesting.

Matt

Matt,

In referring to the two comments of yours I highlighted above, please consider the following:

I do not think you're an idiot. Your opinion and conclusions are yours, and you are certainly entitled to them without having to have any backlash for them.

In regards to the first highlighted comment, my opinion is after expressing your view on what you find to be the answer to what was going on there.....I don't believe anyone would bother commenting on any further "odd bidding" activity with this seller's items. We know what's going on.

Further more, you have chosen to "protect" (for lack of a better word) this seller by refraining to share what the item is, or tell us who he is.....so really, after we gave our opinions to you, what else is there to talk about? Nothing.

You feel you have it figured out, and believe what you have been told, so more power to you. There would be nothing to gain by rehashing the same circumstances at a later time.

See you on another thread partner.

Comment

Working...