Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it ok to replace a missing patch?

I have a few jerseys from over the years that I picked up with some patches missing. Some cases may be from the teams reusing them, others from collectors removing them for some reason. They have the outlines from the patches and I know what was there at one time.

My question is about restoring the patches to these jerseys. Is it acceptable to “restore” a jersey in this way and returning it back to its original condition? If ok, does it turn into a “restored” jersey, then would the price drop to less than when it was original and missing the patch?

Next, if I do choose to replace any of the removed patches, does anybody know a good place to find game used patches? I know there are patch collectors out there, but I am not sure if they have patches that had been removed from a jersey or fresh patches that were made for collectible purposes. I do not think I would want to place a crisp fresh patch on a well worn jersey, just does not seem right.

Thanks for any suggestions and input. John

Re: Is it ok to replace a missing patch?

If its an original patch, then I think restoring is ok as long as you disclose that to a potential buyer.

A repro patch should be left off the jersey, IMHO.

Different collectors and genres have different tastes and informal rules, but the general rule in all areas of collecting is you can alter or restore something so long as you clearly communicate the restoration at sale, trade or auction.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Different collectors and genres have different tastes and informal rules, but the general rule in all areas of collecting is you can alter or restore something so long as you clearly communicate the restoration at sale, trade or auction.
    I agree unless there wasn't a patch there in the 1st place.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Andrew,

Just to understand (or not misunderstand) what you are saying. If one has a jersey from a year that sported a particular patch and for some reason the patch was never sewn on the jersey (in other words not removed), it's ok to sew on the patch and not disclose it because you are restoring a patch that never was there and was supposed to be for that year?

Thanks
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I agree unless there wasn't a patch there in the 1st place.
    Andrew,

You took the words out of my mouth. This applies to 1 specific jersey in my collection... it is a 2006 Carlos Beltran Mets jersey authenticated by Steiner and by MLB. The MLB hologram dates the jersey to a specifc game where he homered. I have video of this home run.

The anomaly here is that jersey is missing a patch. The video supports the missing patch. In this case, adding "the missing patch" afterwards will severely degrade the jersey...

Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Andrew,

You took the words out of my mouth. This applies to 1 specific jersey in my collection... it is a 2006 Carlos Beltran Mets jersey authenticated by Steiner and by MLB. The MLB hologram dates the jersey to a specifc game where he homered. I have video of this home run.

The anomaly here is that jersey is missing a patch. The video supports the missing patch. In this case, adding "the missing patch" afterwards will severely degrade the jersey...

Nick

Nick,

The Skyline patch was missing from Beltran's jersey for that game?

There were no other patches in 2006.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Nick,

The Skyline patch was missing from Beltran's jersey for that game?

There were no other patches in 2006.
    Yes, indeed. There is no skyline patch on his jersey, and this is 100% supported by the video of the game. A nice little anomaly, huh?
    Looking for ...

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Yes, indeed. There is no skyline patch on his jersey, and this is 100% supported by the video of the game. A nice little anomaly, huh?

This proves anything is possible!
    metsbats86@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    This proves anything is possible!
    David,

Feel free to check it out --

http://www.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_arc...=nym&ym=200606

Click the link titled "Beltran's homer" under June 27th.

I have some funny feeling that the fact he has 2" extra sleeve length added to all of his jerseys may be the reason why some of them are missing patches.

If you take a look at June 28th, he's also wearing a jersey that's missing a patch. It may or may not be the same jersey.

Nick
    Looking for ...