Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steiner Sports....yes Or No

Hi Readers, just wanted some imput on opinions regarding what Steiner has done to the game used market. Being a Yankees fan, I remember when finding a good game used Yankees item especially uniforms, was quite a feat and something to be proud of. I want to clearly state that I am in no way saying anything negative about Steiner Sports nor have I had any negative experiences with them. I just want the imput of other Yankees collector's to see if they are as fustrated as I am..."game used", "game issued"...."game issued" today "game used " tomorrow. $25.00, $25,000.00..... . I am quite sure that there are many GOOD Yankees items out there, but because they are lacking the Steiner sticker or letter, people totally stay away from them. Remember the Yanks have been around a little longer than Steiner....at least I think so

Thanks
    George

Banned

Re: Steiner Sports....yes Or No

Jetefan what is your question your rambling about a bunch of stuff with Steiner but there is no specific question?

Are you asking about them flooding the market with more Yankees Game Used items? If so yes they are BUT the prcies are being charged high enough to where it will still be balanced out. An item you might have gotten years ago you might have paid $500 to $1000 for now will cost you $5000 to $10,000 so even though there might be more you still might not be hat quick to jump on it bcuz of the price.
    (What they are doing is no different then what ever other team is doing now) all the temas are flooding the market now with game Used items whether its FanFests, MLB.com, Dealers, Auction Houses. People just like to point out Steiner bcuz they were the first to capitalize on it with the most sought after Team and there prices are a bit higher then most teams

If your askin about the prices? What a lot of people do not realize Steiner is not the sole blame on the prices they are being charged Top Premium dollar from the Yankees which in turn they have to charge higher to turn there profit.

What they ar

Well, the only way I can answer this is to give my personal experience. It used to be tough to get them even if you were willing to spend the money. Now, if you're willing to spend the money, it's easy to get them. In other words, I didn't use to have a Yankee jersey. Now I have two. I don't know if that's good or bad for you. For me, it's good because I like to collect what I like because I like it and not because I plan to sell it. Resale value doesn't really interest me.

I have no problem with Steiner or their prices. Good for those who can afford some of it. I bought a Yankees piece as well and it was worth every penny. I even photo-matched it to the 2004 ALCS which I was pretty excited about. I watched every game of that series and I can distinctly remember thinking how cool it would be to own something from it. Now I do. I only want to add authenticate pieces to my collection, so the amount of money I'm willing to pay automatically becomes secondary. If it isn't real, why pay anything for it?

Banned

Thats another thing a blanket of security you get from knowing that it is undoubtedly the real thing coming from steiner.

I'm new to the forum and have a question regarding a game-used value. Any estimates out there on the value of a game worn (2001) autographed Jimmy Smith Jacksonville Jaguar helemt. I'm donating it to a very good charity and they are looking to place a value on it.
    Thanks for any help.

I would personally suggest starting a new post with that question. Just a thought.

Let me be more specific, I don't have a problem with the Steiner game used stuff, they can charge whatever they want. It is up to us if we pay or not. My problem is flooding the market with tons of "game issued" crap that we all know, the stickers and the Steiner letters are thrown away, and are passed off as "game used" with letters from (take your pick). This puts a premium on Steiners stuff because you really don't know if anything else, though all the tagging is correct, is actually game used or doctored. Example: Steiner " game issued" Rivera, Jeter, Posada etc. $1000.-$1500. Get the jersey, roll around in the yard for a while...presto!! "game used" jersey $2500. to whatever. I know, I know this could happen and does with anybody, and Steiner is not at fault, but they are supplying the amo!! Did anyone see a recent Steiner show with a visit to their wharehouse!! There is not way in the world there was or still is that much "game issued" stuff in existance. Could the boss be ordering 3-4 sets for each player for game use and a little extra for Brandon????

Quote Originally Posted by JETEFAN
    My problem is flooding the market with tons of "game issued" crap that we all know, the stickers and the Steiner letters are thrown away, and are passed off as "game used" with letters from (take your pick). This puts a premium on Steiners stuff because you really don't know if anything else, though all the tagging is correct, is actually game used or doctored. Example: Steiner " game issued" Rivera, Jeter, Posada etc. $1000.-$1500. Get the jersey, roll around in the yard for a while...presto!! "game used" jersey $2500.
    People who roll around their yards are weird. And anyone who would buy a game issued Steiner piece then go to the trouble of removing any link to Steiner are missing the point of why Stiener is able to charge 25K for a Jeter jersey. Do you seriously think an educated collector would be willing to pay anywhere close to that if it doesn't have Steiner documentation? No sir. You want to see what non-Steiner Yankees "game used" star jerseys really go for? Look at Bricol Sports' last couple of auctions.

My personal opinion is that in a few years - the prices you are seeing for Yankees modern game used jerseys will be ridiculously low compared to where they are today. There is so much new Yankees stuff in the market and eventually the "fad" of owning these pieces will be gone - and the prices that Steiner and other Dealers are reaping on both game used - and issued items will drop dramatically.

Pre 1995 call it Yankees jerseys will always be in high demand ( really pre-90 except for early 90's Mattingly, O'Neill, Bernie, Boggs, etc. pieces ) - and so will some of the new stuff we are seeing now - but only for star players and with legitimate use on the jerseys. You will see people stop buying game issued items - or if they do sell, they will be at prices just slightly higher than store jerseys.

Most people that are buying the new stuff don't care about the resale - they just want a piece in their collection. I have always said - if you buy something, you better want to keep it a long time.

Game used memorabilia values and prices go up and down just like any other collectible - your chances of seeing increases in value and prices is best realized by purchasing and collecting vintage items...... Just my humble opinion......Jim