• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Wells Blasts "Juiced" Bonds

Originally posted by JETEFAN
    Federal law is not the point here, did pot make Jenkins a great pitcher?....NO, did gambling make Rose the all time hit king?....NO, did steroids help Bonds hit homers?........still thinking........YES!!!!! Bottom line, whether innocent or not, whether he knew it or not, Steroids gave Bonds an unfair advantage over Ruth or anyone else, and the almost 1000 more at bats didn't hurt!!!!
    So hang the black man because he has more at-bats, nice argument.

Oh and by the way, who knows if pot made Fergie a better pitcher or not, you and I are not ones to judge which drugs are acceptable. If that was the case, Bonds' drug was not on the baseball list of illegal drugs while Fergie's drug was against baseball's personal rules. Keith Hernandez said in 1980 when he was hitting .390 that cocaine made the baseball look like a beach ball coming to the plate.

Comment

• Yankwood
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
      So hang the black man because he has more at-bats, nice argument.

Oh and by the way, who knows if pot made Fergie a better pitcher or not, you and I are not ones to judge which drugs are acceptable. If that was the case, Bonds' drug was not on the baseball list of illegal drugs while Fergie's drug was against baseball's personal rules. Keith Hernandez said in 1980 when he was hitting .390 that cocaine made the baseball look like a beach ball coming to the plate.
      Joel, you just try way too hard for this guy (Bonds). He ain't worth it. And, um, please don't make this racial. That's way too cheap. And besides didn't George just stick up for Fergie Jenkins? Let's see, what color was he?

Comment

• Nathan
        • Nov 2005

Joel,

This is into the realm of the absurd now. When turning this political failed last time by, you now attempt to turn it racial. Either way is equally shameful. After all, what race is Hank Aaron? And would people be as repulsed by, say, Ken Griffey Jr chasing down Babe Ruth? Of course not.

To suggest that there's a double standard between Jenkins and Bonds is ludicrous. Consider that the federal government doesn't classify marijuana (Schedule I) and anabolic steroids (Schedule III) as even being close to the same thing; they also don't provide for similar penalties between the two either.

Trying to spout off the "Bud's rules didn't make it illegal" is crazy. If I were to commit a crime while in Canada and was barred from playing in that country, would it be acceptable for me to play against the Blue Jays anyway since MLB's rules don't specify any sort of punishment or even regard that as being criminal?
        Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

• JETEFAN
          • Dec 2005

[quote=trsent]So hang the black man because he has more at-bats, nice argument.

Oh and by the way, who knows if pot made Fergie a better pitcher or not, you and I are not ones to judge which drugs are acceptable. If that was the case, Bonds' drug was not on the baseball list of illegal drugs while Fergie's drug was against baseball's personal rules. Keith Hernandez said in 1980 when he was hitting .390 that cocaine made the baseball look like a beach ball coming to the plate.[/quote

Now, now, let's not cherry pick!! The specifics of this thread is Bonds and the home run record!! It's not about which drugs are acceptable, it's about which one's help you hit homers. Bonds is the flavor of the month, we can address the other cheaters as broken record's come up. Give the Babe another 1000 at bats and that's another 85-90 homer's... important don't ya think!! Just another Barry homer diluting agent.... I know, I know, what about Aaron? let's stick to the flavor of the month remember ..Barry "Cheater" Bonds. ......By the way, let's keep it quiet about Kieth Hernandez's cocaine making the baseball look like a beachball story. Barry might be reading!!!! Barry on steroids and watching a beachball comming at him!!!....POW!!..STRAIGHT TO THE MOON Alice!!!

Comment

• trsent
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Ok, you guys are right...

They should take Barry Bonds to the fireing squad because he may eventually hit more home runs than Babe Ruth and he may have taken a drug that made him stronger.

I have seen the light.

Oh yeah, and George Bush the Current is a great president.

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Oops, I forgot to mention, I believe I should be barred from this forum.

Think about it.

17 years ago I was a cocaine addict. Yes, for about six months of my life I abused coke and it may be why now I support drug users and a policy of "innocent (or unknowing) until proved otherwise, and not just by some jackass's opinion" for game used jersey sellers and OJ Simpson.

If anyone cares, I have been clean and sober for all 17 of those years.

I should have been a Steroid addict.

Comment

• skipcareyisfat
                • Nov 2005

Let me think...how can I divert attention to an absurd stance on a SPORTS RELATED topic? I know! I'll bring up race and politics and let the suckers bite. Good ole fashioned democratic strategery. BRILLIANT!!!
                "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Comment

• trsent
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by skipcareyisfat
                  Let me think...how can I divert attention to an absurd stance on a SPORTS RELATED topic? I know! I'll bring up race and politics and let the suckers bite. Good ole fashioned democratic strategery. BRILLIANT!!!
                  So you want me to agree with the views that they should embarrass baseball and put an asterisk by the career home run total of Barry Bonds?

Why don't they have them on the single season ones also.

In fact, break them down:

Babe Ruth 60 (The God of Home Runs)
                  Roger Maris 61 * (He cheated, because he played more games and his name is not spelled M-A-N-T-L-E)
                  Mark McGwire 70 ** (He cheated because he may have used a drug that is classified as being worse than cocaine or marijuana by the general public, but it was ok to use it in The World Wrestling Federation until they recently also started testing for it. Oh wait, Hulk Hogan's title reign in WWF and WCW should be struck from the record books also, unless we put an asterisk by it because he may have used a drug that some people feel is worse than cocaine or marijuana)
                  Barry Bonds 72 *** (He cheated because the general public just doesn't like this guy and he may have used a drug that is classified as being worse than cocaine or marijuana by the general public)

Give it up, nothing will be done except for childish wining by people like those posting above me.

Comment

• suave1477
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

If Maris Cheated Then Babe Ruth Cheated Also

Comment

• skipcareyisfat
                      • Nov 2005

I just called my old high school and admitted to cheating on a math test in 11th grade. They agreed to add an asterisk to my transcript. Honesty feels so good.
                      "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Comment

• suave1477
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2006

Babe ruth must be the biggest cheater in the game since he was the first one to do it, so lets start an induction in the hall of fame for Ruth as being a cheater

Comment

• sylbry
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by skipcareyisfat
                          I just called my old high school and admitted to cheating on a math test in 11th grade. They agreed to add an asterisk to my transcript. Honesty feels so good.
                          That's funny. I dare you to call the IRS and tell them you cheated on your taxes. I bet they will give you more than an asterisk.
                          Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

• skipcareyisfat
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sylbry
                            That's funny. I dare you to call the IRS and tell them you cheated on your taxes. I bet they will give you more than an asterisk.
                            Easy there! I'm only good for one or two feel-good moments per month. I think I'll ride the high of this one for a while. Besides, I would NEVER knowingly cheat on my taxes.

Comment

• Nathan
                              • Nov 2005

Joel,

Thanks for sharing your story; here's hoping you remain sober for the next 17 years as well.

Unfortunately, I think you've oversimplified this issue. I don't think for a second that there is anything more than an extreme minority who would want to see Barry Bonds fail simply on the basis of race. Heck, the current record is held by a black man and I don't see anyone grumbling about that. And if this was Ken Griffey Jr chasing down history, I think the general public would be much more openly accepting than has been the case with Bonds.

As far as your facetious attaching of an asterisk to every number higher than Babe Ruth's 60, I don't buy the reasoning for each of those either. Certainly MLB was shortsighted for attempting to take a stand on a nobody like Roger Maris passing a hallowed mark. McGwire's use of andro was well-documented during the chase for 62, and the end result is that andro (legal both by MLB standards and by federal substance control standards at the time) was more heavily tested and has since been outlawed. It has nothing to do with what the general public believes andro causes and a lot to do with medical science has shown. And as for Barry Bonds chasing 71, the fact isn't that the general public has issues with steroids but with the fact that steroids have long been conclusively shown to not only be a performance enhancer but also detrimental to health (and that assumes that steroids was the extent of what he took). The fact is that the federal government has strictly regulated the sale and distribution of steroids for a number of years and they are the ones who classify it on a higher level than marijuana and on the same level as cocaine and other drugs.

As far as the general public wanting to see Bonds fail because he isn't a likeable guy, I think we're getting somewhere there. The simple fact is that Bonds has had, at best, a volatile relationship with fans. Fans vote with their wallets and their hearts. Fans have no problem rooting for an Albert Pujols, a Cal Ripken, or that 25th player on the bench who went out of his way to sign a card for their kid. But fans certainly will take issue with the player who blows off interviews, refers to himself in the third person, or tells those asking for an autograph to "get a (fill in the blank) life" while charging over $1000 for a scribble of ink without an acknowledgement.

The simple fact is that Barry Bonds has alienated so many people over the years that there are very few who want to see him succeed. It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity or socioeconomic status. It has to do with the fact that someone who should be the ultimate ambassador for baseball is such a dislikable guy who has brought the wrath of fans down upon him because of his own doing. That's all there is to it.
                              Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

• suave1477
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2006

Nathan I agree with everything you said accept one thing i do take offense too. Roger Maris was far from a nobody and im talking about before he hit 61 home runs. dont get me wrong thats what made him over all famous of course, but he wouldnt have been signed by the Yankees if he was a nobody

Remember during this era it wasnt common place to hit a ton of home runs.

Significant accomplisments before hitting 61 hrs in 1961

1958 28 home runs
                                1960 39 home runs
                                2 time all star - 59 and 60
                                1960 AL MVP
                                1960 gold glove
                                1960 most rbi's

I would not say he is a nobody!!!!

Comment

Working...