Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Wells Blasts "Juiced" Bonds

Oops, I forgot to mention, I believe I should be barred from this forum.

Think about it.

17 years ago I was a cocaine addict. Yes, for about six months of my life I abused coke and it may be why now I support drug users and a policy of "innocent (or unknowing) until proved otherwise, and not just by some jackass's opinion" for game used jersey sellers and OJ Simpson.

If anyone cares, I have been clean and sober for all 17 of those years.

I should have been a Steroid addict.

Let me think...how can I divert attention to an absurd stance on a SPORTS RELATED topic? I know! I'll bring up race and politics and let the suckers bite. Good ole fashioned democratic strategery. BRILLIANT!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skipcareyisfat
    Let me think...how can I divert attention to an absurd stance on a SPORTS RELATED topic? I know! I'll bring up race and politics and let the suckers bite. Good ole fashioned democratic strategery. BRILLIANT!!!
    So you want me to agree with the views that they should embarrass baseball and put an asterisk by the career home run total of Barry Bonds?

Why don't they have them on the single season ones also.

In fact, break them down:

Babe Ruth 60 (The God of Home Runs)
    Roger Maris 61 * (He cheated, because he played more games and his name is not spelled M-A-N-T-L-E)
    Mark McGwire 70 ** (He cheated because he may have used a drug that is classified as being worse than cocaine or marijuana by the general public, but it was ok to use it in The World Wrestling Federation until they recently also started testing for it. Oh wait, Hulk Hogan's title reign in WWF and WCW should be struck from the record books also, unless we put an asterisk by it because he may have used a drug that some people feel is worse than cocaine or marijuana)
    Barry Bonds 72 *** (He cheated because the general public just doesn't like this guy and he may have used a drug that is classified as being worse than cocaine or marijuana by the general public)

Give it up, nothing will be done except for childish wining by people like those posting above me.

Banned

If Maris Cheated Then Babe Ruth Cheated Also

I just called my old high school and admitted to cheating on a math test in 11th grade. They agreed to add an asterisk to my transcript. Honesty feels so good.

Banned

Babe ruth must be the biggest cheater in the game since he was the first one to do it, so lets start an induction in the hall of fame for Ruth as being a cheater

Quote Originally Posted by skipcareyisfat
    I just called my old high school and admitted to cheating on a math test in 11th grade. They agreed to add an asterisk to my transcript. Honesty feels so good.
    That's funny. I dare you to call the IRS and tell them you cheated on your taxes. I bet they will give you more than an asterisk.

Quote Originally Posted by sylbry
    That's funny. I dare you to call the IRS and tell them you cheated on your taxes. I bet they will give you more than an asterisk.
    Easy there! I'm only good for one or two feel-good moments per month. I think I'll ride the high of this one for a while. Besides, I would NEVER knowingly cheat on my taxes.

Joel,

Thanks for sharing your story; here's hoping you remain sober for the next 17 years as well.

Unfortunately, I think you've oversimplified this issue. I don't think for a second that there is anything more than an extreme minority who would want to see Barry Bonds fail simply on the basis of race. Heck, the current record is held by a black man and I don't see anyone grumbling about that. And if this was Ken Griffey Jr chasing down history, I think the general public would be much more openly accepting than has been the case with Bonds.

As far as your facetious attaching of an asterisk to every number higher than Babe Ruth's 60, I don't buy the reasoning for each of those either. Certainly MLB was shortsighted for attempting to take a stand on a nobody like Roger Maris passing a hallowed mark. McGwire's use of andro was well-documented during the chase for 62, and the end result is that andro (legal both by MLB standards and by federal substance control standards at the time) was more heavily tested and has since been outlawed. It has nothing to do with what the general public believes andro causes and a lot to do with medical science has shown. And as for Barry Bonds chasing 71, the fact isn't that the general public has issues with steroids but with the fact that steroids have long been conclusively shown to not only be a performance enhancer but also detrimental to health (and that assumes that steroids was the extent of what he took). The fact is that the federal government has strictly regulated the sale and distribution of steroids for a number of years and they are the ones who classify it on a higher level than marijuana and on the same level as cocaine and other drugs.

As far as the general public wanting to see Bonds fail because he isn't a likeable guy, I think we're getting somewhere there. The simple fact is that Bonds has had, at best, a volatile relationship with fans. Fans vote with their wallets and their hearts. Fans have no problem rooting for an Albert Pujols, a Cal Ripken, or that 25th player on the bench who went out of his way to sign a card for their kid. But fans certainly will take issue with the player who blows off interviews, refers to himself in the third person, or tells those asking for an autograph to "get a (fill in the blank) life" while charging over $1000 for a scribble of ink without an acknowledgement.

The simple fact is that Barry Bonds has alienated so many people over the years that there are very few who want to see him succeed. It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity or socioeconomic status. It has to do with the fact that someone who should be the ultimate ambassador for baseball is such a dislikable guy who has brought the wrath of fans down upon him because of his own doing. That's all there is to it.

Banned

Nathan I agree with everything you said accept one thing i do take offense too. Roger Maris was far from a nobody and im talking about before he hit 61 home runs. dont get me wrong thats what made him over all famous of course, but he wouldnt have been signed by the Yankees if he was a nobody

Remember during this era it wasnt common place to hit a ton of home runs.

Significant accomplisments before hitting 61 hrs in 1961

1958 28 home runs
    1960 39 home runs
    2 time all star - 59 and 60
    1960 AL MVP
    1960 gold glove
    1960 most rbi's

I would not say he is a nobody!!!!