Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Pete Rose possible reinstatement..

No offense Cincy13 but you're way off base. I'm with Red October. Pete played to win every game and he managed the same way. The info is that he bet on the Red EVERY game-not just with certain pitchers. How much he bet I don't know. There's no way he manages and starts betting again baseball again. He'll probably always gamble but I'm sure he could give up betting baseball.

Banned

I'm a huge Rose fan and when I initially heard the news today I was stunned.

As much as I think Pete was a great player, his gambling could have done more damage than good for the game of baseball. There are no excuses and he will never be in the HOF. If Pete was let in, what message will this send to the next player that thinks he's larger than the game itself. I think by keeping him out, it sends a srtong remider to the other players. If anything he will always serve the purpose as a stong example of what not to do.

For 90 years this rule has been posted in every clubhouse.

Rule 21
    d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

Seems simple to me.

Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Joe Jackson was proven innocent in court. He should never have been banned. Besides that he is long dead. his sentence is up. Let him appear on the ballot already!

Forgiving people for their past mistakes is a beautiful thing.

I am a huge Pete Rose fan and collector.

I support Selig reinstating Rose -- at least for the purpose of allowing the current Baseball HOF members to vote on his HOF entry.

Chuck Lumb
    Cincinnati native
    Chicago resident

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    Forgiving people for their past mistakes is a beautiful thing.

I am a huge Pete Rose fan and collector.

I support Selig reinstating Rose -- at least for the purpose of allowing the current Baseball HOF members to vote on his HOF entry.

Chuck Lumb
    Cincinnati native
    Chicago resident
    Chuck,

Do you have an email that I could contact you at?

Quote Originally Posted by murfsteve25 View Post
    To bring a good point back up that was said earlier:

It's the Hall of FAME, not Morality.

There are reasons why each member of the HOF is in there, it's because they were beyond good at what they did. Pete is the all time hit leader, so its obvious that he was beyond good at hitting right? So he should be in. He didnt cheat to get those hits. He didnt use PED's. He did it right. He just happened to do something on the side that was away from his moments at the plate.
    This is a solid point. You start going thru that Hall, you will find off the field adventures most likely aplenty. Rose for the Hall.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

My email address is tacprc@yahoo.com. Thanks. Chuck

I knew I'd get blasted in here, but remember the NBA ref who made sure Tim Duncan fouled out to fix the playoffs? Come on, it could happen in baseball.

I've no objection to putting Joe Jackson in the HOF and posthumously removing the ban on Buck Weaver, whose only offense was not revealing the others' plot. But I disagree that the "innocent" verdict exonerated anybody. The trial was a farce. Legal tecnicalities ( mainly ambiguities in the law) would have cleared them even if they'd all confessed! After the trial, the jury full of Sox fans celebrated at supper with the players.

Joe Jackson did confess, but his signed confession magically disappeared before the trial. Then it magically reappeared in the White Sox offices later when he sued them. Because of that, the lawsuit judge blocked his judgment on the grounds that he'd obviously perjured himself at one of the trials.

The real culprit who got away was Charles Comiskey, who almost certainly obtained and hid the confession in an effort to keep his players. There's no way he belongs in the HOF, but he's there.