Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: Pete Rose possible reinstatement..

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    I do believe that he is innocent

His batting stats show nothing to disprove that and first hand accounts of the game state that all of the supposed triples that he botched were never hit to him
    Read historian Gene Carney's book, called 'Burying the Black Sox: How Baseball's Cover-Up of the World Series Fix Almost Succeeded'.

Even Eddie Cicotte stated that the $5000 given to Jackson (which, by the way, was given to Jackson AFTER the World Series and which he attempted to return) was 'hush money', and that Jackson did not participate in the fix.

In Jackson's 1924 civil trial against Charles Comiskey (which Jackson won, but was overturned on a technicality), Comiskey himself testified under oath that Jackson 'played all games to win'.

The fact that Comiskey is in the Hall of Fame and Jackson is not is a travesty that should have been addressed decades ago.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

I also read that Jackson tried to tell Comiskey what was happening but Comiskey wouldn't see him

So who is to say that Comiskey wasn't involved as well
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Banned

I'm with Chakes and Lucas, I've always believed Joe Jackson was innocent. There are too many documented testimonies from others not to see this. The rumors that he shaved points is pure nonsense and can't be supported with facts. But it does make for good arguement material, if you're one who likes to argue just to argue.

Everyone knew about the fix before the series...Ban Johnson, Charles Comiskey...everyone. Joe tried to return the money twice and Comiskey wouldn't see him. Since Commy knew before the Series, he could have lost his franchise. He wanted to distance himself from it as much as possible...which is why his lawyers got confessions out of Jackson and Cicotte. Who were they protecting; the players???
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by staindsox View Post
    Everyone knew about the fix before the series...Ban Johnson, Charles Comiskey...everyone. Joe tried to return the money twice and Comiskey wouldn't see him. Since Commy knew before the Series, he could have lost his franchise. He wanted to distance himself from it as much as possible...which is why his lawyers got confessions out of Jackson and Cicotte. Who were they protecting; the players???

.....the point being......there were a LOT of rotten eggs in the basket besides the "8 men out".

Maybe it should have been called the "8 scapegoats a grazing"?

Why do you think Shoeless Joe tried twice to return the $5K? Because he wasn't involved? He may not have activly participated, but he knew.

So I ask you....what's the difference? He took the $5K for hush money? C'mon........

Banned

I think the Mantle/Mays thing could be different then Rose. If Shoeless isn't getting in anytome soon, Rose has no shot at all. I'll give you 10-1 odds.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    .....the point being......there were a LOT of rotten eggs in the basket besides the "8 men out".

Maybe it should have been called the "8 scapegoats a grazing"?

Why do you think Shoeless Joe tried twice to return the $5K? Because he wasn't involved? He may not have activly participated, but he knew.

So I ask you....what's the difference? He took the $5K for hush money? C'mon........
    Jackson is a scapegoat...THEY ALL KNEW.

It is funny if you read Landis' statement. Where was Jackson more guilty than anyone else?

"Regardless of the verdict of juries, no player who throws a ballgame, no player that undertakes or promises to throw a ballgame, no player that sits in conference with a bunch of crooked players and gamblers where the ways and means of throwing a game are discussed and does not promptly tell his club about it, will ever play professional baseball."

Joe:

1) Never sat in conference with the players when fixing games was discussed (even Weaver did this).

2) Never promised to throw games. They used his name to make the fix sound sweeter to the gamblers.

3) Was given money AFTER the Series, but and tried to return it the next day (yes, this is prompt). Then tried to bring it up again when he signed his 1920 contract.

Guess what...Schalk and Collins both knew about a fix (just as much as Jackson) and didn't come forward. Comiskey knew too and even tried to bury it. Ban Johnson was in the same boat. Those are a lot of tarnished Hall of Fame plaques.

The point is that it is easy to assign blame to eight players and everyone has a tendancy to view this as a somewhat isolated incident. EVERYONE was involved to some level; whether fixing a game, trying to cover it up, or just trying to ignore it. Several Series before 1919 had been fixed and the Black Sox dumped games in the 1920 pennant race too. Game fixing was pervasive and almost destroyed the game. Viewing it through this lens, it is understandable why MLB has consistantly taken such a harsh stance on gambling since 1920.
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Banned

Well, unlike Pete, Shoeless's joe's statistics don't warrant HOF induction. Go check em' out and you'll agree with me. And you can't say shoulda, woulda, coulda either. If you do we'll put Bo Jackson in the HOF too.