ESPN - Jose Canseco Said He Knows A HOFer That Used. Who do you think it is?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spartakid
    • Oct 2008

Re: ESPN - Jose Canseco Said He Knows A HOFer That Used. Who do you think it is?

Originally posted by Dewey2007
    I think it's Canseco's way of just keeping his name out there especially during a big time for MLB with the recent HOF inductions. This is what Jose had to say about Rickey in "Juiced":

"Rickey Henderson was a genetic freak, a man with such incredible legs and arms that even past his fortieth birthday he looked like a mini body builder. To me, he was one of the best players in the game, and maybe the greatest leadoff hitter of all-time. He was a good teammate to have too. He just played the game, worked hard, and busted his ass everday"

Also, this was in a local column written last month.

"But there are signs that Canseco might be forgiven, at least in certain quarters. Rickey Henderson, headed for the Hall of Fame in August, said Tuesday that he'd have been happy to see Canseco (at the 1989 WS team reunion). He also stood up for Canseco when "Juiced" came out, saying that the former Bash Brother wasn't a liar."

My guess is Boggs. He might have used them to help him with injuries during the last couple years of his career.
    Possibly, and it's hard to speculate without Jose coming out and saying it, which I believe he'll eventually do. I wholeheartedly agree with you that he's trying to stay in the spotlight by intermittently dropping names of players. This is why I wouldn't be surprised if he kept a few of the names to himself and didn't mention them as steroid users in his book. Otherwise, if he were to release all the names at once, we'd forget about him. The one reason I believe it's Henderson is that this would be the time for him to drop Henderson's name if he was ever going to do it, basically like a statement that a user has been elected. If it's not Henderson, then Jose picked a very bad time to do this, right after the inductions. My money's on Henderson.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• 3arod13
      • Apr 2006

Re: ESPN - Jose Canseco Said He Knows A HOFer That Used. Who do you think it is?

Originally posted by spartakid
      Possibly, and it's hard to speculate without Jose coming out and saying it, which I believe he'll eventually do. I wholeheartedly agree with you that he's trying to stay in the spotlight by intermittently dropping names of players. This is why I wouldn't be surprised if he kept a few of the names to himself and didn't mention them as steroid users in his book. Otherwise, if he were to release all the names at once, we'd forget about him. The one reason I believe it's Henderson is that this would be the time for him to drop Henderson's name if he was ever going to do it, basically like a statement that a user has been elected. If it's not Henderson, then Jose picked a very bad time to do this, right after the inductions. My money's on Henderson.
      I also think it's possibly Henderson. Only because Canseco never mentioned a HOFer before. After Henderson's induction, he mentions it.
      Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• vonbrandingo
        • May 2009

Confident it's not Boggs. Loud and clear message even after a few beers.

Comment

• emann
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dewey2007
          My guess is Boggs. He might have used them to help him with injuries during the last couple years of his career.

See, I find that more of a reason Boggs didn't use them. He barely broke 3K hits and was struggling at the end to keep going in that last season... I think if he used them, he may have kept playing a bit longer with less struggle.

Boggs played like 90 games & Canseco played about 60 together. Both had short seasons on the D-Rays...

For the record, I own 2 Boggs, 2 Hendersons and 1 Canseco bat, so obviously I'm not playing favorites.

Comment

• TFig27
            • Oct 2006

I heard Boggs did something else :

On KJR radio in Seattle back in April, he claimed that Boggs could drink 50-60 beers on a trip from New York to Seattle. I'm not talking about drinking 50-60 beers while on a 3-game road trip to Seattle. As a player, he could drink that much on the way to Seattle. Later in the interview, Nelson called former teammate Paul Sorrento on the air, and he estimated that Boggs could actually drink 70 beers on a cross-country trip
            sigpic
            TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
            A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
            J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
              • Dec 2008

It's absolutely positively Henderson.

And I'm sure the abuse lasted for many years.......MANY years.

He was a genetic freak alright.

Just not naturally. IMO.

Comment

• Lokee
                Banned
                • May 2008

I have no evidence on this but how come no one has mentioned Nolan Ryan ? He played with Jose for 2 years. It is quite possible.

Comment

• frikativ54
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Fnazxc0114
                  has he been wrong yet?
                  He lied and lied for Roger Clemens. I sure wonder what other secrets he is conveniently keeping.
                  Les Zukor
                  bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                  Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                  (617) 682-0408

Comment

• spartakid
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by frikativ54
                    He lied and lied for Roger Clemens. I sure wonder what other secrets he is conveniently keeping.
                    That may be true, but has he ever lied about the subject that we're talking about? Besides the legal issues he'd face (not that he has much to take at this point) he would lose all credibility, which I believe he still has when it comes to steroids. I'm sure that he knows tons of people that used, which would lead me to believe that he doesn't have to lie about steroids. In other words he has enough good information, and it would be stupid of him to taint that with lies because if he were ever outright caught in a lie, we wouldn't believe or read anything else he had to say. I have no doubt that he is doing this for spiteful and selfish reasons, maybe even a combination of the two, but he has been reliable with the players he's named (to the best of my knowledge and someone correct me if he's been proven to be lying about someone using) and in the end that's what matters.
                    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• frikativ54
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by spartakid
                      That may be true, but has he ever lied about the subject that we're talking about?
                      Yes - Didn't Canseco repeatedly say that Clemens was clean? Wasn't he willing to sign an affidavit saying that Clemens never tried steroids?

Or am I misremembering?
                      Les Zukor
                      bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                      Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                      (617) 682-0408

Comment

• Carlevv
                        • May 2007

Its Reggie Jackson he's talking about 100 percent!

Second of all, Steroids isnt the only way to "cheat". Do you think guys like Wade Boggs, and Cal Ripken never took amphetimines? How do you explain playing for 20 odd years and never had taken something that is banned by baseball today. Steroids is one of MANY drugs players have been taking for a lot of years. I get tired of everyone thinking its just steroids. Guys have been taking testosterone, HGH, greenies, aderal, dexidren, ridlin, and every other drug they could get their hands on before testing was introduced. I can assume a lot more than one hall of fame player has taken one of the drugs i mentioned let alone snorted a line of coke.

Comment

• JasonM33
                          • Oct 2006

You all know I'm a huge Canseco fan. With that said all this "I know but I'm not telling" stuff is getting old. I liked him better when he was just ratting people out and they were all mad. Canseco lot credibility with me when it became clear that he was outing certain guys and covering up for other guys. I think if you are going to start telling on people you should tell on them all. If not then keep your trap shut about it.

Oh yeah, for the record it better not be Rickey.

Comment

• whatupyos
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Carlevv

Second of all, Steroids isnt the only way to "cheat". Do you think guys like Wade Boggs, and Cal Ripken never took amphetimines? How do you explain playing for 20 odd years and never had taken something that is banned by baseball today. Steroids is one of MANY drugs players have been taking for a lot of years. I get tired of everyone thinking its just steroids. Guys have been taking testosterone, HGH, greenies, aderal, dexidren, ridlin, and every other drug they could get their hands on before testing was introduced. I can assume a lot more than one hall of fame player has taken one of the drugs i mentioned let alone snorted a line of coke.

THANK YOU!!!!! I've felt the exact same. You have people on here talking about the "purity" of the game blah blah blah blah. It was not uncommon to have a bowl full of greenies in the clubhouse in the 50's-70's. Guys would take handfulls of that stuff. Its not steroids, yes, I know but when you're hurt and not feeling your best, just pop a few greenies and you're flying high, literally...or snort a line. Look at the coke heads in the game! I'm sure we all know who they are. I could care less whether some's juicing, or snorting coke or popping greenies like they're breathe mints. I love the game period. It pisses me off when I hear "cheater" and "purity of the game" when greenies isn't natural just like steriods aren't so get off your high horse, all those people who are holier than thou. Enjoy the game for its entertainment purposes. Look at the WWE. I enjoy the entertainment value. Its a guys soap opera. What about all of you people who speed on the free way, or cheat on a test....ooooooooo, you're a cheater, what about the purity of academics!! See how ridiculous that is?

Now for all you who like to argue, I am not saying everyone should do roids and pop greenies, just don't say the roid users are bad and let the greenie poppers get off like they are saints.

Aaron

Comment

• whatupyos
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by frikativ54
                              Yes - Didn't Canseco repeatedly say that Clemens was clean? Wasn't he willing to sign an affidavit saying that Clemens never tried steroids?

Or am I misremembering?

I agree with you. Did he protected Clemens in his book. I believe he's even said Clemens never even cheated on his wife and then the whole country singer fiasco came about.

I can't wait for his next fight. He'll probably get his arse whooped by another nobody.

Aaron

Comment

• 3arod13
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Carlevv

Well said! I find it ridiculous that so many want to act as if it's only during this era that this type of cheating/conduct occurred.
                                Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

Working...