Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Mark Teiria bat flys into the stands BUT fan gets a Game Issued!!!

[quote=suicide_squeeze;154854]suave......I'm with you on this one.

I know the players coddle and baby their gamers, do all kinds of personal modifications like rubbing them down, placing the proper amount of pine tar, etc., bas as I fan, I'm just telling you the way it is.....

If that bat comes flying into the seats directly from the players hands, I'm instanting turning into Charleton Heston:

"From my cold, dead hands....." is the only way their taking that bat from me! Once it leaves the field, it is no longer their property. I know it would be the decent thing to do (give it back), but quite frankly, screw that noise. These players, especially Mark Tex, are making indecent amounts of money playing this game. WE PAY FOR IT, buying tickets to attend games while supporting them.

Guys:
    I'd love to be able to keep the used bat as well...I'm just saying that in some (maybe many) stadiums, security isn't going to give fans an option or the chance to make tracks with it. Although this is a home run ball story, it shows how aggressive stadium security can be. I was at the game where former White Sox SS Scott Fletcher hit his first MLB homer. I was dating a girl at the time who was a big Fletcher fan, so I dashed halfway around old Comiskey to offer the guy who got it a $50 bill for it to give to her as a gift. I found the guy, but the ball he had was a brand new one, not the HR itself. The guy told me that Sox security demanded the ball back, and gave him the new one in its place. It's easy to SAY you'll take off or battle for the item, but reality may just not allow you to be successful.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I hear ya, Dave......But once it flys into the seats......

"From my cold, dead hands".

On a more serious note, it is my understanding they have no legal basis to "demand" anything back once it leaves the field and goes into the seats.

The only reason people oblige security in a case like that is because they are caught off guard, and don't know any better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    I hear ya, Dave......But once it flys into the seats......

"From my cold, dead hands".

On a more serious note, it is my understanding they have no legal basis to "demand" anything back once it leaves the field and goes into the seats.

The only reason people oblige security in a case like that is because they are caught off guard, and don't know any better.
    You're right on that last sentence...most of the guys on Waveland have been approached for key home run balls, and have held their ground.

BTW...excellent emoticon. Charlton Heston would be proud.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

A lawyer told me fans have a right to stuff that flies into the stands.

Is that really true? How come at basketball games if ball goes into crowd they have to give it back? Same with footballs kicked in pregame?

That is a good question. One may be the social norms and pressure. Another may be that, whatever the keep it law, a team has a right to ask you to leave and/or not come back.

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing22784 View Post
    Is that really true? How come at basketball games if ball goes into crowd they have to give it back? Same with footballs kicked in pregame?
    That is a good question, and I believe it falls under the "customary rule" law, if you will, of the game.

In basketball, they basically only use one game ball for the entire game. So on the rare occasions it does fly into the crowd, it is "customary" to give it back, usually to the ref who is there reaching out for it as if expected. I don't know what would happen if a fan refused to give it back, as I have never seen that happen. My guess is he would get boo'ed out of the arena, so you just won't see that happen. In any case, they obviously do have others in the event suave is there, and he makes a mad dash with a loose ball.

I have seen both examples at pro football games, and am fairly certain if you catch a football in the stands, it yours. The ones that don't know better sometimes hand it back to the guys on the field asking for it back.

But in major league baseball, it is customary that any baseball that flys into the seats is an instant souvenir. And that is the rub. Are bats, too?
    To me, yes. I know as a fact......at a MLB game, if it enters the seats, in any part of the park......it's YOURS. It is your choice whether or not you want to give it back to the player.

(I know Derek Jeter entered the seats face first a few years back.....I would have liked to see a fan make off with him.....but somehow I think that may have been a tough one.)

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    That is a good question, and I believe it falls under the "customary rule" law, if you will, of the game.

In basketball, they basically only use one game ball for the entire game. So on the rare occasions it does fly into the crowd, it is "customary" to give it back, usually to the ref who is there reaching out for it as if expected. I don't know what would happen if a fan refused to give it back, as I have never seen that happen. My guess is he would get boo'ed out of the arena, so you just won't see that happen. In any case, they obviously do have others in the event suave is there, and he makes a mad dash with a loose ball.

I have seen both examples at pro football games, and am fairly certain if you catch a football in the stands, it yours. The ones that don't know better sometimes hand it back to the guys on the field asking for it back.

But in major league baseball, it is customary that any baseball that flys into the seats is an instant souvenir. And that is the rub. Are bats, too?
    To me, yes. I know as a fact......at a MLB game, if it enters the seats, in any part of the park......it's YOURS. It is your choice whether or not you want to give it back to the player.

(I know Derek Jeter entered the seats face first a few years back.....I would have liked to see a fan make off with him.....but somehow I think that may have been a tough one.)
    Actually if you notice, Jeter goes in with a hat and walks away without a hat. That disappeared pretty quick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

I have seen both examples at pro football games, and am fairly certain if you catch a football in the stands, it yours.
    At this year's SB, the net got hung up behind the uprights. Can't remember if it was a FG or PAT, but everyone in the area was ready when they saw the net malfunction. Went right over my buddy's head. Cool souvenir for someone.

I've seen this MANY times, when Jake Fox was in Tenn last year he would let his almost knobless bat slip right out of his hands. They would give the fan a Pro Stock from the $10.00 bat can in the Shop.