Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Mark Teiria bat flys into the stands BUT fan gets a Game Issued!!!

If a player wants to keep a bat, he should learn to hang on to it. It's ridiculous to try to make a fan cough up the bat after it came flying in the stands. A flying bat is dangerous. The least a player can do is let the fan keep it.

Since when does the rule "when something leaves the field " its no longer the players apply. Some players buy their own bats. If he drops it and you pick it up does that make it yours. If a fan drops his wallet on the field does a player get to keep it. While it would be disappointing for a collector, I understand the player taking it back. That doesn't always happen. At a Rangers game this year I saw Josh Hamilton throw his bat a long way into the stands and they let the fan keep it which was great, but that may be the exception.

If a bat, ball, puck or whatever, enters the stands hits you and hurts you, you can not hold the team liable. I'm keeping it!

so the player "loses" his bat in the crowd... its his game bat and was prepared for the game..... what happens when he breaks his bat on a pitched ball? does the game stop? the players have more than 1 bat waitting to be used... the player should be grateful the fan wasnt hurt...that bat comes flyin at me, its mine.

If a fielding glove accidentally fell off a players hand in the stands would it belong to a fan. Come on, it would be nice if they let fans keep a bat, but a bat is part of the players equipment. Its not the same thing as a ball. The argument that if a player wants to keep his bat he should hang on to it makes no more sense than saying if a fan drops his wallet or watch on the field it belongs to the players or the team because if the fan wants to keep his watch or wallet he should hang on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Tex takes a huge swing and by accident lets go of the bat. It flys over the dug out into the stands and an older gentleman got it. Security ran over to the fan and took the bat back and gave it to Tex. Tex inturn gave security a Game Issued bat to give to the fan.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.
    Did you see when a younger guy ran down the aisle to the bat and tried to yank it away from the older couple.

One reason to side with the fan who catches a bat is the team says if a an errant slice of bat flies into the stands and pierces a fan's skull or knocks out a kid the team has no responsibility. Considering this, it's tough not side with the fan who catches a bat and wants to keep it.

Look, I agree its great for the fan to get to keep the bat. If I got one I would want to keep it also. And I thought it was great when the Rangers let the fan keep the Hamilton bat he let go of that flew into the stands. But the people who simply say that they are going to keep the bat no matter what had better realize they could be dealing with security and could be prosecuted for theft, although I doubt a team would do it, if they tried to run off with the bat. If a team lets a fan keep the bat, its their gift to the fan. Its not because the fan owns it.

Im a big fan ofMark Teiria, he's cool

Are there any season ticket holders here that have seats near the field/dugout? Im wondering if it says anything in the rules and regulations for season ticket holders.