Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brett Favre 1996 Game Worn Jersey

Please give me your opinions on this jersey. Very nice from championship year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRETT-FAVRE-auto...d=p3286.c0.m14

Thank you.

Re: Brett Favre 1996 Game Worn Jersey

I'm skeptical.

There's something about the sleeve numbers that doesn't look right. They look too thin in a couple photos, but that could be an optical illusion caused by only seeing half of the letters folded over.

I'm tempted to put in an offer, but before I did I'd want a MEARS evaluation first.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quick follow-up: I'm very wary of evaluating a Favre jersey from a couple out-of-focus pictures, especially given recent history.

That's why I'd want to get MEARS involved.

Where is Guy Hankel when you need him?
    email is matmuell at umich.edu

Is there even the slightest possibility that there can be a legit Favre jersey out there with no provenance? Personally, the Grey Flannel LOA means nothing to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Sure, there's a possibility. The Packers sold gamers, some were given away. I'd say that the possibility is higher for earlier jerseys such as this one - 1996 was before Favre started selling them on his website, and everything now comes with a Certificate of Aurthenticity from him or the team.

Likely? No. But possible.

I'd still want MEARS to take a look at it before I spent a single cent. Heck, even if the jersey came with a folksy and heartwarming letter describing how Favre gave it to a clubhouse attendant in exchange for a Coke, I'd still want MEARS to take a look at it before I spent a single cent

I have to say that since SCD did that article on Favre gamers I've become intrigued to say the least. I did notice the nameplate seems to be acceptable as far as length goes.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/77...ootball-League

The Starter logos seem to be correct placement. I agree that the chances are slim, but with due diligence, atleast a team issue may be had. Little expensive though for that.

Banned

How old is the GFC LOA, if I may ask? The reason I bring this up is, in the late 1990s, when I was employed by them, Grey Flannel did make a bulk purchase of game-used and game-issued jerseys from the Packers, including back-up Super Bowl unies. If the LOA is from a decade or so ago, then this may well be one of them. If it's from the last few years, then that's not the case.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    How old is the GFC LOA, if I may ask? The reason I bring this up is, in the late 1990s, when I was employed by them, Grey Flannel did make a bulk purchase of game-used and game-issued jerseys from the Packers, including back-up Super Bowl unies. If the LOA is from a decade or so ago, then this may well be one of them. If it's from the last few years, then that's not the case.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    November 13, 1996 - but it makes no mention of such a bulk purchase, appears to be one that came individually to them for 1996 auction from an outside source.

My experience is that you can find legit Favre gamers with no provenance; I've handled a few myself.

Regarding this jersey, I'm not pronouncing it "good" or "bad", but if I were interested in this, here's what I would do:

1) Reference photos and video from the following '96 games: 8/2 vs. Pats, 8/11 vs. Steelers, 8/17 vs. Ravens, 9/1 vs. Bucs, 9/9 vs. Eagles, 9/15 vs. Chargers, 10/14 vs. 49ers, 10/27 vs. Bucs, 11/3 vs. Lions. These are all the green jersey games before the date of the GF letter (you could just focus on these games if you assume the date of the letter to be correct AND you assume this letter was made to accompany this jersey).

2) Compare some aspects of this jersey with the photos and video. Look at the placing and tilt of the NFL shield. Look at how the nameplate is sewn on. Take a close look at the space between the bottom of the Starter sleeve logos and the top of the first yellow sleeve stripe. Look at how the front and back number "4"s are aligned compared to the bottom of the striped collar and nameplate, respectively.

3) Ask the seller to measure the jersey to confirm the tagged size.

Since physically examining the jersey first isn't likely, these are some important starting points.

Something else worth mentioning: Note the holes at the top of the GF letter. There was once a polaroid photo of the jersey stapled there. They did this before putting images directly on the letters.

Guy