Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Removing an Autograph from a Jersey

I took a few of your suggestions on using Ink-Away to remove an autograph from a jersey and it worked GREAT!! It completely removed the autograph that was in black Sharpie. I used it on a jersey that was about 30 years old and was afraid at first, but after it dried, there was no indication at all on the jersey that I used anything. It cost me about $20 (with shipping) for a bottle and I bet that a bottle can be used for 25 or more jerseys. I also used about 50 Q-tips and a bunch of paper towels...let me know if you need any help in doing this for yourself and I can go into detail and talk you through how I did it.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE RECOMMENDATION!!

Re: Removing an Autograph from a Jersey

Just out of curiosity, does this work for paint pen too? Not that I want to remove anything; I am just curious.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

The jersey had some silver paint pen on it and it removed that as well...super stuff!!!

If it is a common jersey that came to you washed, after removing the ink, I would sure as shootin' want to find a way to remove any chemical left behind. I'd give it a wash. Mild soap, lotsa rinse, first rinse regular spin, all the rest, gentle.

BETTER ADVICE: Do the following before you start to experiment.

Talk to a professional dry cleaner for advice, or better yet a museum conservator. Or yet the best, the conservator at the baseball HOF. Send him an email with photos of the item, the problem, your potential treatment (include the product name), and ask what his advice would be. And at least the offer to pay a fee for an opinion, so the choice is up to them. Most conservators love to help!

What happens if 10 to 15 to 25 years from now you have a great jersey with a chemically caused "age spot" or stain or deterioration? What if indirect sun doesn't hurt the reat of the jersey but starts turning that area a different shade.

(It's an aside, but just how many of us have great auto's reduced to a fraction of their worth on those weird baseballs from just 1995-6 or so that all looked like they rolled around in some ballpark urinal?)

I never do anything permanent to a jersey without talking to a museum conservator. Especially if it is a valuable jersey ... I let THEM remove the unwanted stuff.

But you can tell, I am a perfectionist when it comes to preserving my items. Mine might not be HOF stuff (Well, some is) but it gets treated like it.

Did you use the Ink-away pads to remove the autograph or another version?

Thanks

The Ink Away I used was in liquid form in a small plastic bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeytigers View Post
    I took a few of your suggestions on using Ink-Away to remove an autograph from a jersey and it worked GREAT!! It completely removed the autograph that was in black Sharpie. I used it on a jersey that was about 30 years old and was afraid at first, but after it dried, there was no indication at all on the jersey that I used anything. It cost me about $20 (with shipping) for a bottle and I bet that a bottle can be used for 25 or more jerseys. I also used about 50 Q-tips and a bunch of paper towels...let me know if you need any help in doing this for yourself and I can go into detail and talk you through how I did it.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE RECOMMENDATION!!
    Do you have before and after pics you could post? Also was the auto on the jersey itself or on the numbers? Thanks!

Hello Can You Post Any Picture Of The Ink Away? Thank You

Here is the before and after pictures...and the Ink Away
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks for posting the pics. I have a St. L Cardinals jersey that is autographed by a player no one has ever heard of. Only played about 9 games in the majors. Bought the jersey for the jersey and not the auto so I'd like to remove the signature. Thanks again!