Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Giambi released by A's...

jobathenut,

Do you think there's any chance that the reason Jason Giambi didn't want to be in the home run derby, which by the way is one of the most popular events the weekend of the All-Star break, is because he's not on steroids anymore?

When he won the home run derby years ago, he was hercules. His arms were so pumped up with chemicals, I thought his skin was going to tear.

So, at this point in his career, do you think maybe he didn't want to make a complete fool out of himself by attempting to match his steroid-induced showtime from yesteryear?

Just a thought.

I knew when i mentioned the great cal,that i would hear from you.I did'nt mean any offense.I was not comparing numbers,as i know cal had better.As i went on baseball reference to look up his stats to be sure.And i was wrong,as he only batted once under .200 and that was his rookie season.But i did notice that he sure had alot of errors in the field,almost 30 a couple of seasons.I was just trying to make the point that the a's didnt handle it good.As every player has slumps,and they could've been more respectful to him.You did'nt see cal's team cutting him in the middle of the season.And you really can't compare the two playing wise as they were different type of players.Again,i have always loved reading your post's and didnt mean any offense to you.And i am so sorry i misspelled his name.That's just my poor grammer.It's "ripken".and not "ripkin",i am such a idiot.Hope we are still good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Hey Joba, I hate to break it to you, but Cal "Ripken" never was hitting under the Mendoza line after 83 games...Giambi had 73 strike outs this year and Cal's highest strike total in a season was only 78 ....Oh, and don't forget that Cal could also help the team win with his defense as well (there wasn't one pitcher on the Orioles staff that didn't want the ball hit to Cal in a big situation).....Not the same situation at all...No matter how you sliced it, the Orioles were always a better team with Ripken in the lineup (can't say that for the A's)

Hey thanks joe-mvpfan-I am happy to know i'm not all alone on this.Me and you brother.You got to love the haters though.I mean how many names on that steriod list and people still jump all over him for it.Even though he was a man about it and admitted to it.And did'nt play the childish quote,"i did'nt know it was that".I get sick of hearing haters on here.I mean how many years ago was that.Those people really need to build a bridge and get over it.The guy deserved better than what the a's did to him.I will admit he is at the end of his career.But if he agrees to come back to the a's than have the respect to play at least the season.I just think it was a total slap in the face what they did to him.And that whole derby thing is a joke.What a bad guy for wanting to spend time with his family.But then it was proberly the fact the steriods were the reason why he did'nt join the stubid batting practice.You got to love haters logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000mvpfan View Post
    ..I think jobathenut's got it right-and I'm pretty sure at the time he declined to participate,that Giambi had mentioned to interviewers that he was looking forward to spending the break home in Nevada.And who can blame him?He had already won a derby and I'm sure at this point in his career he needed the rest more than another title-and I'm also sure he would of been killed in the NY press had he participated and then had his numbers spiral down even worse...

Just my .02...
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    So because he did'nt want to take part in a stubid home run derby.That makes him not a "good guy".Maybe because he was'nt playing in the game,he thought it would be a waste of his time.Maybe he did'nt want to take part in the stubid contest so he could spend the break time with family and friends.And he felt that was more worth his time than to take part in the stubid contest.That he realized how stubid and pointless the home run derby is.And felt that spending time with his family during the break is better than giving up his break to take part in batting practice.As that's all the stubid thing is.I mean why don't they just have the guys measure themselves.I have no idea what the home run derby proves.WOW,you can hit a home run having a pitcher pitch it right where you want it.Takes no skill at all.Anyway,that's another topic.I think it's silly to say he is not a good guy because of this.I realize it was at yankee stadium and it was the last all season of the stadium and blah,blah,blah.But those fans can see him play in a game.Why would they need to see him in a completely nonsense contest.Just a very silly arguement.
    It just made him look selfish whgen the fans did so much for him that all. He could have paid them back but opted not to and given them something they want, but he was self centered, that's my argument.

Why is it that when anyone voices a differing opinion, the best line most guys can come up with is that the person is a "hater."

Two things I do not allow anyone, even children, to say about someone else is that they are "stupid" or that they are a "hater."

Now, Joba, you know I like you. I would respect your writing more if you found words to replace "stupid" and "hater."

PS Weren't you at the double-header in the Dome back around the late '90s-early 2000s. Might have been the last double-header played in the Dome. Giambi was playing first. One of the games was Turn Back the Clock too -- Giambi had taken a scissor and cut the sleeves off shorter to fit better. And I think the first game went maybe 16 innings ... and then the night game. Jason G. was in his prime and I enjoyed watching him from just a few seats away. Some day remind me to send you photos I took of him that day.

No,I think the point of his not being in the derby was why should he spend the whole break in NYC just to participate in it?The rest of the participants were in town for the game anyway-not so for Giambi.
    As far as his being ABLE to perform in the derby,I don't think that would of been a problem.As Aaron said earlier,he can still launch one when he gets ahold of one..and could he really have done any worse than Piazza did in past derbies,or even Mauer in this year's??

Take care,
    Joe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!

Banned

From what I've learned people are always going to differ. Joba, Joe and I are all fans. If others have a differing opinion, that's fine and dandy. All I konw is, I've had nothing but positive experiences with G. He's awesome in my book and nothing will change that. If Lastings has an opinion of G being selfish or whatever, thats his opinion and he's entitled too it, whether the rest of us agree or not. Its too bad, though because it seems to some that G was damned if he did or damned if he didn't. I don't think he should have felt obligated to do the HR Derby to satisfy the fans. Most of the fans there at the All Star Game I'm sure see him take BP every night, so there is not much difference. Why would someone do the HR Debry that wasn't invited to slected to the game? I would not participate myself if I was not an All Star. I didn't think Ryan Howard should have been there about 2 years ago just because he was the winner the previous year. Didn't make any sense to me.

Aaron

I'm just trying to say that the commisioner waived the rules to Jason after he said he would do it and because of the support of the fans and their mustaches. Once Selig gave him the OK, he said that he needs to be on the All Star team too. Maybe it doesn't make him a bad guy, it just makes him look childish.

Banned

Joe

Didn't know if you knew this or not but there is a game used Giambi throwback on MLB.com now. Its under the Tampa Bay Rays auction site. He had only 1 AB because I think he was taken out due to an injury. It ends on the 28th I believe. I'm holding out for a jersey from this year with the OPD patch. Hopefully they'll have one soon at the games.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by cordovacollector View Post
    PS Weren't you at the double-header in the Dome back around the late '90s-early 2000s. Might have been the last double-header played in the Dome. Giambi was playing first. One of the games was Turn Back the Clock too -- Giambi had taken a scissor and cut the sleeves off shorter to fit better. And I think the first game went maybe 16 innings ... and then the night game. Jason G. was in his prime and I enjoyed watching him from just a few seats away. Some day remind me to send you photos I took of him that day.
    Giambi wasn't the only person who cut off the sleeves of his jersey that day. I give you Matt Lawton.

Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.