I think the A's were generous in offering Giambi a contract in the first place. Given his sharp decline in New York (which just so happened to coincide with his being caught in this steroid scandal), I think he was lucky to have been offered a chance to start for any team. His production this year, or lack thereof, was more than enough reason to cut him.

Baseball's a business and I can probably name a half dozen others, who haven't been implicated for cheating, who have been treated worse by their teams. Giambi might be a nice guy, but he cheated and it's hard to imagine him having the career he enjoyed, without the illegal substances he used during his prime.

I wish Giambi all the best and if he happens to catch on with a contender down the stretch and can contribute, more power to him. But nobody in Major League Baseball owes him a thing. He's made many millions of dollars playing a sport he enjoyed. While he might have been polite to fans, I wouldn't want a sub .200 hitter on my roster, let alone starting at first base. When you consider the harm he (and many others) have done to the game, I find it difficult to join the Giambi pitty-party bandwagon.