Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Giambi released by A's...

Do you always believe what the "players" tell you, maybe he did spend time with family, but of course he would never say that he would have a night on the town even if that's what his intent was?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    First off, Thanks to Reed for the kind comment......I think

Aaron,

Even though I kind of tongue-n-cheek it, you correctly paraphrased it.

Let's be realistic about it. Giambi knows that the year he won the home run derby, he was at or near the top of his game......and his PED use.

If he were to perform in the same capacity.....as a participant in the home run derby last year......he is smart enough to know that at age 37 (then), and clean from everything he was taking, his showing would've been much less than the year he won it, and potentially dismal.

Add to that the fact that he had a growth in his head that was career (if not life) threatening while with the Yankees, I would guess Aaron that he is not using HGH at this point, detectable or not, simply because of the health issues he suffered from.

If he is crazy enough to be using something after all he's been through, then I guess there's nothing that would surprise me. But, he is smart enough to know that he shouldn't display his home run hitting ability at his age, and off the juice, so I suggested the easy way out was to say he wanted to take the much needed time off to spend with family (& friends, sorry Joba!).

Whatever the case, whatever the truth, I wish him well, because like McGwire, he's a baseball guy, seems to be a genuine human being, and for whatever reason, I just like him. I hope he finds one last burst, somewhere, and ends his pretty darn good career on his terms. If it could only be that way for all of them.

Steve,

I hear you my friend. I didn't mean to imply that G was still using HGH, I just mean its conceivable anyone out there could still be using. There are some guys with size and some not. I think you'd be nuts to still use anything in question. But I'm sure there are those that still feel the need to risk it. I surely wouldn't use anything. I could see where it would be damn tempting. Heck, I've never done a drug in my life, but if I was to try something it would be the juice just to see how much more strength I could gain. But I'm paranoid about putting any junk in my system, and I hate needles(I know there are other ways to take juice without needles). Its sad really. My best friend is a super talented baseball player but when he was going to tryouts he kept getting told "you're too small". He's 6'1 and 175lbs. As ripped as anyone could get naturally but not huge. He should be playing pro ball. But when he was doing the tryouts, all the scouts were obsessed with the big, huge strong guys. I feel so naieve because I look up to these guys and thought they were getting big naturally through hard work. It is possible to do it without juice, but the juice definately helps pack on the lbs quicker. I was always impressed when someone would show up to spring training with 15lbs of muscle and thinking, I wish I looked like that. I guess now we know how it happened. Its too bad. Total bummer.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    First off, Thanks to Reed for the kind comment......I think

Aaron,

Even though I kind of tongue-n-cheek it, you correctly paraphrased it.

Let's be realistic about it. Giambi knows that the year he won the home run derby, he was at or near the top of his game......and his PED use.

If he were to perform in the same capacity.....as a participant in the home run derby last year......he is smart enough to know that at age 37 (then), and clean from everything he was taking, his showing would've been much less than the year he won it, and potentially dismal.

Add to that the fact that he had a growth in his head that was career (if not life) threatening while with the Yankees, I would guess Aaron that he is not using HGH at this point, detectable or not, simply because of the health issues he suffered from.

If he is crazy enough to be using something after all he's been through, then I guess there's nothing that would surprise me. But, he is smart enough to know that he shouldn't display his home run hitting ability at his age, and off the juice, so I suggested the easy way out was to say he wanted to take the much needed time off to spend with family (& friends, sorry Joba!).

Whatever the case, whatever the truth, I wish him well, because like McGwire, he's a baseball guy, seems to be a genuine human being, and for whatever reason, I just like him. I hope he finds one last burst, somewhere, and ends his pretty darn good career on his terms. If it could only be that way for all of them.
    Dude, the only reason Bud Selig asked Jason to be in the contest is because of the lack of guys willing to do it. When is the last time a guy not in the all star game itself has ever been in the HR contest? I think Ryan Howard did it and he is an idiot for doing it. At Jason's age of 37 why wouldnt he want those days off? If Jason was voted in the game by the fans like he almost was he told Selig he would participate. Believe it or not most players that go to the all star game dont like going. They are honored to be there but its an exhausting two days and most would rather be at home sleeping in their own beds. You cant get on a guy for not wanting to be in a stupid HR hitting contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlevv View Post
    Dude, the only reason Bud Selig asked Jason to be in the contest is because of the lack of guys willing to do it. When is the last time a guy not in the all star game itself has ever been in the HR contest? I think Ryan Howard did it and he is an idiot for doing it. At Jason's age of 37 why wouldnt he want those days off? If Jason was voted in the game by the fans like he almost was he told Selig he would participate. Believe it or not most players that go to the all star game dont like going. They are honored to be there but its an exhausting two days and most would rather be at home sleeping in their own beds. You cant get on a guy for not wanting to be in a stupid HR hitting contest.
    Carleev,

I don't disagree with your scenario at all.

All I am saying is, once it was obvious that Jason wasn't going to be an All-Star, the decision was made easy for him.

Trust me when I say that as a pro player, to be on the biggest stage of the year in your sport (2nd to the World Series only for the two teams that get there), what does that say about you if you do not want to participate?

Again, I like Giambi, so I don't really care what the truth is......and I'll completely accept his explanation, since he wasn't voted into the All-Star game.

This isn't that big of a deal. I just know that he is "relieved" he didn't have to make a choice, as an All-Star, to participate in the HR Derby. It's all about the fans. We pay these guys salaries......the ones that choose to "sit it out" are bums......IMO.

Carlevv-its baldgannon@yahoo.com

Aaron-MLB also has a game-used base from the Oak/Cle ALS game signed by Garko and Giambi..pretty cool base,opening bid $300,no bidders as yet..

Joe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!