Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Giambi released by A's...

....so unless he catches on somewhere (although I really don't know who would want a 38-year old .193 hitter who's still injured..) I'd say he'll be calling it a career real soon.That sucks...

....ah well,I guess pretty soon my answer to "what player do you collect" will be Chase Utley...

Farewell,Giambino!

Joe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!

Re: Giambi released by A's...

While Giambi was having a miserable season, I think a team in contention could actually use a left handed power hitter for pinch hitting duties (somewhat akind to how the Philles picked up and used Matt Stairs last year). I wouldn't be shocked if he got picked up.

I actually hope that he does get picked up,if just for one last hoorah and chance at a Championship down the stretch..he deserves it-except for the 'roids,he was one of the game's good guys..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

A team would be stupid not to pick him up thats in contention, in my opinion. Yeah, might not be the player he used to be, but he still has the pop in his bat. I've seen about 4 or 5 of his bombs at the A's games this year and he's still got it when he gets around on it. He can definately come off the bench for say, the Red Sox, Cardinals or someone and be a big threat. I'm a huge G fan and wish him well.

Aaron

Plus I'm pretty sure I read whoever signs him is only responsible for paying him the league minimum of $400,000-so how could you go wrong?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Exactly, but not to be too nit picky, its actually cheaper. Its the pro rated amount of $400,000 which is the current league minimum, so its a bargain. The A's had to eat the $4mil plus the $1.25 mil buyout for his option year of next year. My old roommates girlfriend works at a Chili's in the area and said he's always in there. I got pissed at her for not telling me this sooner. Guess he won't be in anymore. She said he'd always tip 100$ of his bill. He'd come in with his wife, sit in the bar, no one would bother him. She said he loved it there. I agree with you, he's a class act. Always has been always will be. I was bitter as hell when he left. Even boo'd him when he made it back to Oakland as a Yank for a series because I hated to see him go but it was me voicing my frustration. He's a great guy all the way. I was lucky enough to meet him once at a promotional event and shook his hand. He's a stellar dude.

Aaron

My brother just emailed me and thinks that the yankees will pick him up to give godzilla a break at dh.I think they might do it so that he can retire as a yankee.Being a huge giambi fan i just would like to see him go out on a high note and not just fade away.I am really surprised that a's did this to him.I guess there is no reward for loyality.He comes back to the team to have them cut him.I understand it's about the team,but they could have handled it better.I sure hope he does sign with the yankees.

I am truely jealous of you and your roommates girlfriend.If i worked there and he came in.I would get fired real fast as i would have a stack of things for him to sign with his meal.Yeah i am not surprised that he is a big tipper.He seems like a very nice gut.And i am really jealous that you got to shake his hand and meet him.Man,that would great to meet him.I would give just about anything to be able to meet him.The closet thing i got was last season at the inflatable toliet they call a stadium here in minnesota.Me and my brother were sitting vip first row by the yankees on-deck.And giambi was standing by me and some twinkies fan was giving him trash about his thong.And i just said,"he is just jealous cause he is not you" and giambi starting laughing and nodded at me.That was worth the price of the tickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    Exactly, but not to be too nit picky, its actually cheaper. Its the pro rated amount of $400,000 which is the current league minimum, so its a bargain. The A's had to eat the $4mil plus the $1.25 mil buyout for his option year of next year. My old roommates girlfriend works at a Chili's in the area and said he's always in there. I got pissed at her for not telling me this sooner. Guess he won't be in anymore. She said he'd always tip 100$ of his bill. He'd come in with his wife, sit in the bar, no one would bother him. She said he loved it there. I agree with you, he's a class act. Always has been always will be. I was bitter as hell when he left. Even boo'd him when he made it back to Oakland as a Yank for a series because I hated to see him go but it was me voicing my frustration. He's a great guy all the way. I was lucky enough to meet him once at a promotional event and shook his hand. He's a stellar dude.

Aaron

Banned

Well...I guess I'll never collect on the GU cap he promised me during his first stint with the A's and ducked out on giving to me (I traded him a matted Mickey Mantle advertisement from the 1950s).

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I'm not sure if Giambi was one of the "good guys" of the game. I'll never forget when he got the chance to be in last years HR derby despite not making the All Star team, and rejected the opportunity because he wouldn't be on the team, and left all Yankee fans with their fake mustaches disappointed.