Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ripken game used 95 Road Jersey

Okay Orioles & Ripken experts, I would appreciate any feedback on this 1995 Cal Ripken Jr. Gray Road Jersey from the year Cal broke Gerhigs streak. Any feedback on whether this is the real deal would be a great help.

Thanks
    Brett

DESCRIPTION:

From the record-breaking season in which Ripken broke Lou Gehrig’s prestigious consecutive game streak, presented here is a game worn Cal Ripken Jr. gray knit road jersey from the 1995 season. Jersey wears the appropriate Russell Athletic tag, size “48”, with 2” extra length designation. The “95” year tag is appropriately sewn on underneath the primary tag. Capping off this jersey and defining its prominent year of usage, Ripken has signed across the front in silver metallic marker, “Cal Ripken Jr. – Iron Man – 5.30.82 – 9.6.95 – '2131'.” In excellent condition. An official Steiner certification hologram is affixed in the proximity of the signature. LOAs from Grey Flannel and Global Authentication.

Click on a thumbnail image above to display a larger image below.

Click on a thumbnail image above to display a larger image below.

Banned

Re: Ripken game used 95 Road Jersey

I am not a ripken expert but i would say it looks pretty good and it comes with 3 LOAS.

I mean 3 LOAS is pretty good.

Now I realize the Steiner LOA is most likely for the autograph, I am assuming the other 2 are for the actual jersey. I would say it is highly likely real!!!

Banned

Great jersey-this is the first time I have seen a "Ripken Gamer" with the front 8 upside down! Would love to know who wrote a LOA on this "unique and rare" version of a Rip gamer.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

So Howard are you saying this is not the real deal? I am assuming if the front 8 is upside down that this could not be real then?

THanks
    Brett

Banned

Hello Howard I am curious myself is there that much of a difference between the number is being upside down or not what i mean is "8" its 2 circles put togather how can you tell which is the right side.
    Thats my first question.

Second..... Just becuz the 8 is upside down means its a total fake????? I mean something like that can be an easy manufacturers mistake.

If the 8 is up side down it doesnt exactly set off red flags of being a fake it might make me question it a little but not exactly a fake!!!

Banned

Brett-
    There is always a chance Rip wore it, however, I can't locate a single photo from 1995 of him playing with such a shirt-can you? If you are comfortable with a Rip jersey that has an upside down 8, by all means go for it!

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

Here is a photo of Rip in 1995-notice how the large portion of the 8 is on the bottom, as it should be. Compare it to the jersey in question..........

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

(moderator note- didn't edit message- just put in a good link to the ripken photo, so all could see.....)

I too will do some additional photo searches. I must admit it was/is hard for me to see the difference in the 8 as Mr. Suave says. I trust your judgement on that element however. I will see if I can come up with any photos of it. I am beginning to believe that the authenticators out there simply sign off on anything. Again, not saying it is fake but if the 8 is upside down, you would think three companies authenticating would have had somebody notice this error.

Thanks
    Brett

Man, is THIS jersey back AGAIN?!? OK, repeat after me: it doesn't matter that the front 8 is upside down, this is a script that was only used by the Orioles late in 1996. You can find evidence of Roberto Alomar wearing it on the road in the playoffs that year, and of a couple of other players wearing it at home, but it was NOT worn in 1995, and was not worn on the black jerseys (not at issue, here, but it's come up before.) It could have 60 LOAs, and it still would not be what it purports to be.

So what you are sayin is that somebody purposely mistagged this jersey to pass it off as a game used 95. Since it is tagged 95 from what you are saying this is a fake. Where and how many times has this jersey shown up before? UR auctions sold a similar Black alternate Orioles Ripken game worn same exact type of autograph and everything back in December 2005 I believe. I think it was supposedly same year, same exact auto etc. SO you are saying this jersey is not just mistagged, it is a complete and utter fraud? What the LOA thing says to me is that somebody is just signing off on these things without doing any type of real homework.

Thanks
    Brett