Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Warning: eBay will be using photos without creators' permission

Quote Originally Posted by rose14 View Post
    I wish Ebay could provide one legitimate reason for doing this. I can't think of one. Too much potential for fraud.
    It has become a cliche, but it fits here - follow the money.

EBay's Number One Priority is generating sales, and this will obviously be a popular move among Sellers and potential Sellers who either don't have a working digital camera or scanner, or are too lazy or stupid to use one.

That it facilitates fraud and misrepresentation is a relatively unimportant factor to them, as that doesn't impact them negatively - as I'm sure a cost analysis has shown them - in a financial way, as much as instituting the new policy will affect them positively by increasing sales among the aforementioned demographic.

One thing Buyers can do, of course, is to refuse to bid on items whose listings contain "borrowed" photos, and let the Seller know that you want to see a photo of the actual listed item.

Do yourselves a favor and HANDWRITE your ebay name and the date on a piece of paper and put it next to your items that you sell on ebay. It makes it a little more legit.

If i see a seller "joeschmoe" selling a jersey and "billybad" is hand-written next to the item on a piece of paper, obviously they are using "billybad's" photos.

Great info, thanks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fabes23 View Post
    Do yourselves a favor and HANDWRITE your ebay name and the date on a piece of paper and put it next to your items that you sell on ebay. It makes it a little more legit.

If i see a seller "joeschmoe" selling a jersey and "billybad" is hand-written next to the item on a piece of paper, obviously they are using "billybad's" photos.

Great info, thanks!
    I don't sell on eBay, but I REALLY likee your idea. If your ID and the date is large enough to be seen, it should make your images useless for any scammers to try and employ. I also suggest placing this ID in the middle, or in an area where a scammer can't crop out the ID without rendering the image useless.

Dave M.
    Chicago area