Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Sense???

Maybe I am missing something here; but occasionally like this week I'll have an auction with a buy-it-now and I'll have 7 "watchers." Now, in a buy-it-now, what the hell is there to watch??? A person could but it on day one for the same price as the guy on day 7...

Anybody knows what I'm missing here, please advise. Beats me.

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com
  • Mauer7
    Banned
    • Oct 2008

Re: Sense???

Sometimes people with similar items will watch items with no intention to bid or buy. They just want to see what it sells for.

Comment

• skyking26
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mauer7
      Sometimes people with similar items will watch items with no intention to bid or buy. They just want to see what it sells for.
      That's about the "only" sense I could see as you could have it at said price on day #1...

Anybody else?
      ROBERT KOPPEL
      Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Comment

• jv225
        • Jan 2009

Maybe they are considering buying it but they want to think about it for a day or 2 so they put it on the watch list so they don't forget about it. That's the only reason I can think of.
        Always looking for anything Cowboys Game Used

Comment

• mattmueller
          • Dec 2007

I mark items as "watch" for both of the previously mentioned reasons.
          email is matmuell at umich.edu

Comment

• otismalibu
            • Nov 2005

They're hoping no one bites, then they'll email you a lowball offer after the auction ends.

I've got some property listed with around 45 watchers, yet only 2 people have emailed with questions. Who knows.
            Greg
            DrJStuff.com

Comment

• spartakid
              • Oct 2008

I do that sometimes, usually if it has a best offer available so that I can see what it sells for if I'm trying to see what the market value is on something. Since of you're watching it, you'll see if a best offer was accepted and for how much.
              Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• skyking26
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
                They're hoping no one bites, then they'll email you a lowball offer after the auction ends.

I've got some property listed with around 45 watchers, yet only 2 people have emailed with questions. Who knows.
                I had it listed right in the auction that the item was being sold at break-even to sell it, and no lower offers would be accepted, to discourage the 7 watchers for emailing later with ridiculous offers...
                ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• jkalathas
                  • Dec 2007

they do it just to piss us off

Comment

• mvandor
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2007

You're dealing with the general public. That means Joe Average, the guy getting the 'C's next to you in high school.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                      • Dec 2008

RK,

Those 7 watchers are probably ebay employees who have tagged your auction while they brainstorm an 11th hour managers meeting over pizza and try to figure out a way to justify the shutting down of your auction.

To them, listing your item for a "But It Now" and stating that you are listing it low, at break even, so it will sell...... just has to be against company policy.

Because it just makes too much sense.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate ebay?

Comment

• skyking26
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
                        RK,

Those 7 watchers are probably ebay employees who have tagged your auction while they brainstorm an 11th hour managers meeting over pizza and try to figure out a way to justify the shutting down of your auction.

To them, listing your item for a "But It Now" and stating that you are listing it low, at break even, so it will sell...... just has to be against company policy.

Because it just makes too much sense.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate ebay?
                        Yea, all I'm looking to do these days is slim down the collection. I bought the mirror at $250 in 2005 and just have no room to display it really. As is the case with several items, I'm not willing to lose $$, but break-even and offering to drive and hour and deliver it to your door isn't apparently good enough. Many friends have compared ebayers to tire-kickers, and I see why. If you are not willing to "give" and item away, it won't sell...
                        ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• jobathenut
                          • Nov 2008

skyking-I am right with you my friend.I never understood that when i used to sell on ebay.Why you would watch a buy it now item.I always hated that as a seller as it gives you a false sense that you'll be able to sell it.And what even got me more upset is when it was (like i always did)a buy it now or best offer.Just make a offer.And as a buyer i never watched a item,if i was interested,i would bid on it.Anyways,i don't know why i keep responding to threads about that place saying i have been doing a shelf boycott for about a year now,since they went to paypal only.And you are right,ebay or what i called it-"garagesale bay" is all about getting give away prices for items.But items like a potatoe chip that looks like bush get big money on there.Man,i hate ebay-EBAY IS A JOKE.

Comment

• NYCrulesU
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2009

I have a number of items on my watchlist. I would love for a seller to come to me and complain about my watching their item. I would gladly go watch something else and spend my funds elsewhere.

Comment

• skyking26
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by NYCrulesU
                              I have a number of items on my watchlist. I would love for a seller to come to me and complain about my watching their item. I would gladly go watch something else and spend my funds elsewhere.
                              I think you are missing the point: This was a buy-it-now auction. What are they watching? There is nowhere to go... You either buy or don't buy... I don't get it - there is nothing to watch.
                              ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

Working...