Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newest Met Mystery

During my daily search for G/U Met jackets I came across this offering:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-Keith-Mille...d=p3286.c0.m14

A game worn 1986 Starter Keith Miller jacket.

Keith Miller wore #25 throughout his Met career. Even #25 in some Spring Training photos. There's been three Mets,including coaches who ever wore #58 none named miller(kind of low,only three)most notable is Sandy Alomar Jr
    Of all the players who's last name is Miller and there are five, none ever wore #58. So indeed another Met mystery.
    I'm guessing Miller was given this in Spring Training '85,'86 ? He never played for the 1986 Mets by the way(Mets debut 6-16-1987) so ST jacket?
    I emailed Zane and I'm guessing he's on vacation. I'm surprised to find he's not a member of this forum(member search) I thought he was(unless under a different name).

Re: Newest Met Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    During my daily search for G/U Met jackets I came across this offering:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-Keith-Mille...d=p3286.c0.m14

A game worn 1986 Starter Keith Miller jacket.

Keith Miller wore #25 throughout his Met career. Even #25 in some Spring Training photos. There's been three Mets,including coaches who ever wore #58 none named miller(kind of low,only three)most notable is Sandy Alomar Jr
    Of all the players who's last name is Miller and there are five, none ever wore #58. So indeed another Met mystery.
    I'm guessing Miller was given this in Spring Training '85,'86 ? He never played for the 1986 Mets by the way(Mets debut 6-16-1987) so ST jacket?
    I emailed Zane and I'm guessing he's on vacation. I'm surprised to find he's not a member of this forum(member search) I thought he was(unless under a different name).
    I would start with the '86 Media Guide for this one. Does anyone on the forum have a copy? The player # should be able to be verified in the guide (keep in mind he would have only been on the Mets in ST that year; his first season of Major League ball was 1987.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Perhaps I am way off base here but I purchased a on-field authentic Oakland A's jacket from Gerry Cosby in 1988 and had McGwire sewn onto the back.

Is it possible that some guy named Joe "Schmoe" Miller who wears #58 in his Softball Beer League wanted to do the same thing with a Mets jacket?

I am in no way accusing anyone of misrepresentation, I'm speaking hypothetically.

By the way, the A's jacket was stolen from me when I was at college in 1998. If anyone ever sees it for sale, I am offering a reward and the current owner will be arrested. Just an FYI
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I collect the Starter Met jackets (Name on Back)because its virtually impossible to fake them. And there unique. This is probably a ST jacket. But at $500? That was probably a nod to the '86 team. But not enough homework by the seller. I just acquired a Mike Marshall Met heavy Starter jacket and short sleeve batting practice pull over both have numbers and names on back signed letters from Marshall totall was $400 both. The David West heavy jacket went for under $100. So,$500 +shipping for "Miller"?

If you are set to press charges against the current owner of the McGwire jacket maybe you won't get a response as fast as if you target who sold it to him. Unless the thief still has it. And I doubt that.

Banned

It doesn't look to be from 1987 ST, as Street & Smith's shows Keith Miller as #62 that spring.

Dave M.

Dave M. Thank you. So not just #25 in spring training. He signed as a amateur w/Mets in Sept 84 So it possible in '85 or '86 ST he wore #58. Did they issue long sleeve jackets in spring training anyway?With name on back to single A amatuer league players for their less than a month stay before being shipped back to 1985 A-Lynchburg and then 1986-Jackson? I'm doubting that.
    here's a ST photo with #6,so another number(and to answer my own question as to the need for jackets in ST-long sleeves in Florida).

That jacket in my opinion is not from 86.

There were 3 styles of jackets during the 86 season and they all had the 25th anniversary patch.

1. Heavy Starter blue full zipper jacket
    2. Cloth BP full zipper jacket
    3. Windbreaker

The jacket in the auction is half zippered and does not have the patch.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Here's a photo from the 86 WS.

1 Bobby O wearing the heavy jacket w/ patch
    2. Borat wearing the BP cloth type (the patch cannot be seen but it's on the left shoulder)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Here's a better shot of the jacket style no. 2 with patch...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    metsbats86@aol.com

David,whats going on. Thanks. So that hopefully narrows it down to ST 1985. Anyone with a guide book from '85?
    I'm starting to lose interest in this but I've never seen any of these jackets forged ever. The closest to someone not ever wearing one but it was made for them was Mark Langston(Mets made the trade sending Howard johnson,Tampani,West but Mariners pulled out at last second). I was in the Mets clubhouse shop in Queens I think 1989 and hanging from the ceiling for sale was the unused Met jacket with LANGSTON stiched on the back. I think they wanted $190 back then which was crazy but I wish I had it now. But again I've never seen a NOB jacket/warm-up forged.