Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Most unusual events you have ever seen at a live sports event.

Sad day in Twins history. Displeasure toward a player for leaving happens, but to act out in childish methods like this leaves an indelible mark on the city...

I recall the Indians to a lesser degree. Upset because longtime fan favorite Jim Thome departed for Philadelphia via free agency, year s later returning to Cleveland as a White Sox player hurt Thome because if negative press etc and poor fan reaction. However, I don't recall fans doing anything idiotic like the Twins did... Knuckleheads.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    Sad day in Twins history. Displeasure toward a player for leaving happens, but to act out in childish methods like this leaves an indelible mark on the city...

I recall the Indians to a lesser degree. Upset because longtime fan favorite Jim Thome departed for Philadelphia via free agency, year s later returning to Cleveland as a White Sox player hurt Thome because if negative press etc and poor fan reaction. However, I don't recall fans doing anything idiotic like the Twins did... Knuckleheads.
    It wasn't just displeasure about him leaving. Knoblauch was a first class A-hole his time in MN and demanded to be traded. Quite frankly I think he got what he deserved.

And no, that incident didn't leave a indelible mark on the city.

The oddest thing I ever saw at a Twins game was a woman (roughly age 22) and her daughter (roughly 4 years old) were sitting next to me. The girl stood up and walked over to her mom, standing directly infront and facing her mom. Her mom lifted up her shirt and the girl took a sip and sat back down. They did that a couple of times throughout the game. They are free to do what they want to do but I would have appreciated a heads up so I could make sure to look the other way.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Banned

I want to say it was September of 1995, but I could be off a bit. Cubs closer Randy Myers gives up a potential GWRBI home run to a Houston Astros player, after which a drunken fan, surprisingly from the first base box seats and not the bleachers, charges the mound with the intention of throwing a punch at Myers. Baaaaaad move...I was buddies with Myers, and knew some of his background, which included survivalist exercises. He laid out the fool with one punch. A guy would be a total idiot to take on Myers one-on-one while he was sober...doing it drunk...Moron City!

Dave M.
    Chicago area

After going to Giants football games for almost 30 years now, I have seen some crazy stuff (most of it in the parking lot before and after games).

One time, before a playoff game vs the Vikings in January (single didget, maybe low teens temperatures), some guy was grilling in his back seat with a charcoal grill, flames up to the roof. His buddy was in the front seat laughing. I moved my car away form his.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    dfirest1,

Um......I certainly don't want to derail your nice fun post, or cause you any grief......but that door you purchased doesn't match up with the car in the fire. The only reason I'm pointing this out to you is so that you may take it up with whomever you bought it from if they represented this door as "the" one from "the" burning race car in the picture.

Look at the numbers and how they lay out with the white racing stripe coming off the bottom of the car (touches your "1", doesn't come close to the one on the car on fire)......the silver racing stripe and how it touches the top of the number one on the car on fire (and yours, where they don't touch at all).....or the little shield below the "1" (it's to the right of center on the fire car....to the left of center on the door you bought).

At least you have a nice door from a race car of his......just not the driver's side door from the car that burned. Sorry to break it to you, and I hope it doesn't take away any of your excitement about the piece. It shouldn't, your piece is still nice.

My best regards,

Steve
    Steve, when your right, your right! I didn't notice until after I had put the post on the site.

My wife and I attended the Timberwolves game where JR Rider's mom came out onto the floor to defend her son.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

I was at a Dodgers/Cubs Game in Chicago when a Dodgers fan caught a Cubs player HR ball. Raul Mondesi, not knowing it was a Dodgers fan that caught it, was in RF. The fan threw the ball back onto the field. Mondesi catches it and fires it back into the stands. Raul had a cannon, and I never heard what actually happened to the ball or where it went.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GarkoCollector View Post
    I was at a Dodgers/Cubs Game in Chicago when a Dodgers fan caught a Cubs player HR ball. Raul Mondesi, not knowing it was a Dodgers fan that caught it, was in RF. The fan threw the ball back onto the field. Mondesi catches it and fires it back into the stands. Raul had a cannon, and I never heard what actually happened to the ball or where it went.
    I was playing home runs on Waveland Avenue (fell on and claimed a Dante Bichette HR) during the 4-15-97 Cubs-Rockies tilt at Wrigley. Later in the game, Quinton McCracken hit one in the left centerfield bleachers, with a numbnuts fan throwing the ball back. The ball was picked up by Cubs CF Brian McRae, who angrily heaved it over the bleachers and into the back yard of what used to be the Budweiser building (called that because of a rooftop ad for Bud). Another Ballhawk retrieved it several minutes later after being guided to its location by several fans in the back of the bleachers.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

jobathenut- I was at the Tyson vs. Holyfield "bite" as well and it was everything you described. I remember being totally confused about what Holyfield was jumping around about, until the bigscreen replayed the bites in between rounds. Before the fight, I was able to get baseballs signed by Floyd Mayweather Jr and Shannon Briggs, who were both spectators. Both were really nice and approachable, of course Mayweather hadn't made it big yet and it looks like the money may have changed him a bit...

Anyway, I was able to dig up one of the ticket stubs from the fight. I have the one my dad used somewhere around here It was an unbelievable spectacle and while the fight itself can't be ranked among the best ever, I doubt if I'll ever have an experience like that at a sporting event again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

reed-That was quite the experinece was'nt it? Yeah like i said,i still talk about it to this day.And people always want to know about it when they come over and see the ticket as i have it framed along with the poster and some other items.I even have the betting odds slip in there.I still have all the items i got including a media guide i got from a guy from a local newspaper i became freinds with.I could tak about the fight and that weekend for hours.I was able to meet (i should say see) alot of sports people and celebritys.I was into autographs,so i sat by the autographs hounds around the elevators at the mgm.And thats where i saw alot of them as they checked in.I saw donald trump,and i came up to him and shook his hand.And he said, "what can i do for you?".I said,"how about a million dollers".He was very friendly and laughed,and said," sorry i have it on the fight".I was able to get ken norton sr autograph as he did a signing at the mgm.And got my picture with him.I tired to get a autograh from his son,but he blew me off and kept walking,which i understand.I saw don king and there were way too many of his people around him to even get close.Also ran into sugar ray,as i was waiting for a cab at the mgm.And was able to get my picture with him.Then i over heard on the radio from the hounds that ozzy and manson and jenny mccarthy were at the hard rock.I also saw royce gracie from ufc fame.Yeah besides the outcome of the fight,it was a great time.As far as the bite,when holyfield first jumped i said to the people around me asking what just happen.I said tyson just bite him and they didnt believe me.And then he did it again and the place went nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by reed1216 View Post
    jobathenut- I was at the Tyson vs. Holyfield "bite" as well and it was everything you described. I remember being totally confused about what Holyfield was jumping around about, until the bigscreen replayed the bites in between rounds. Before the fight, I was able to get baseballs signed by Floyd Mayweather Jr and Shannon Briggs, who were both spectators. Both were really nice and approachable, of course Mayweather hadn't made it big yet and it looks like the money may have changed him a bit...

Anyway, I was able to dig up one of the ticket stubs from the fight. I have the one my dad used somewhere around here It was an unbelievable spectacle and while the fight itself can't be ranked among the best ever, I doubt if I'll ever have an experience like that at a sporting event again.