Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Vintage Yankees Jersey

Looking for some input and insight...

I picked up this jersey recently (on the cheap) and just wanting to find out a few things:

I know that Goodman & Son have made many Pro jerseys in their history, but I am NOT aware of them ever having made any 'Replica' or 'Authentic' models for the 'secondary' market or retail sales - I could be wrong on this.

This jersey is polyester - but MUCH heavier than modern polys...

I took a picture of the button holes as they show the professionally done 'horizontal' rather then 'vertical' slots (so the buttons don't come open during play)...

The NY Logo is faded, but the Goodman tag and the jersey don't appear to have ever been washed (no fraying) - I believe the jersey was on display somewhere.

Other than the Goodman wash tag in the color, there is no other tagging on the jersey and there is no sign that the jersey is altered in any way shape or form.

Also, there is no stitch pattern showing any number ever having been affixed to the jersey.

Is this possibly a Yankees Club House 'Team Issue' jersey that was simply never prepped for use?

Please see the pics and let me know your thoughts....

- Chris

Re: Vintage Yankees Jersey

The style of NY on the front looks similar to what was used in the movie "Bang the Drum Slowly" starring Robert DeNiro and Michael Moriarty.

Goodmans and Son may have supplied the uniforms for this movie.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tcfor3 View Post
    The style of NY on the front looks similar to what was used in the movie "Bang the Drum Slowly" starring Robert DeNiro and Michael Moriarty.

Not the case, unfortunately. The movie players wore flannels made by McAuliffe and year tagged 1972. A few have hit the hobby market over the years. Also, the NY on the Mammoths (team nickname in movie) didn't have the same base on the bottom of the Y or other flourishes in design that the real-life Yankees NY have.

I know what it isn't...but am sad to say I don't know what it IS, either.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by tcfor3 View Post

I checked images from the movie:

There logos are just straight line NY. This has the flair outs and such like the Yankees logo.

I do like the thought process though!

Thanks!

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I know what it isn't...but am sad to say I don't know what it IS, either.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Dave -

So I can rule out 'Bang the Drum Slowly'... do you happen to know if Goodman ever made jerseys other than for Pro teams???

I would like to see if I can at least rule that out... either way, I'm into this jersey for LESS than $20.00!

- Chris