X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbrieve
    • Jul 2008

Re: Detroit Tigers GU

Originally posted by skyking26
    Lance Parrish 1984 sourced glove with PSA/DNA. Glove was given to a friend of Lance whom is now in his 90's (Cecil).

I'm guessing this is Cecil Johnson. He was a one-time minor league pitcher turned sportswriter for the Holland Sentinel. He lived in my childhood neighborhood in Holland, Michigan and was the reason I got into collecting.

I had the privilege of viewing his collection on several occasions--easily the most extensive private collection I had ever seen in person to date.

He collected all teams/players, but he focused most on Lance Parrish--I remember several jerseys, bats and cleats. This glove was probably his most prized possession. I remember a local television reporter from WOOD TV, Warren Reynolds, did a feature story on his collection, which ended with one of them using the Lance Parrish glove to play catch.

All the years I knew him, I wanted to buy a few pieces from his collection. My dad inquired maybe 15-20 years ago for me and at that time was told he had sold almost all of it in bulk, but had kept some of the collection, his Lance Parrish collection specifically.

All of that to say, nice pickup! Look for an e-mail from me.

Comment

• BirdsOnBat
      • Sep 2014

That Parrish glove is sweet. That bright orange outline on his glove is such a fond memory to me of growing up watching 80's baseball.

Comment

• Klattsy
        • Aug 2010

If anyone comes across any Warwick Saupold items I'd be appreciated on the heads up. Or Zac Shephard, Jack O'laughlin, Ulrich Bojarski MiLB.

Thanks.

Comment

• TigersCubs84
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by joecoco
          Call me old fashioned, but I miss the rings on Rawlings bats. Is it just me? Beautiful bats, by the way.
          Agree, I think the colored rings were great. That Fulmer is really nice, would be even better with an orange ring, in my opinion.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by TigersCubs84
            Agree, I think the colored rings were great. That Fulmer is really nice, would be even better with an orange ring, in my opinion.
            Same here. I especially liked the team-based color coding of the rings on blonde bats. They sometimes helped to date bats more precisely with pre-1980 Adirondacks.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• Moose1984
              • Feb 2015

Chet Lemon photo matched to Donruss BB Card

Attached Files

Comment

• mbrieve
                • Jul 2008

I haven't contributed in a while since I slowed down my game used collecting. I've been on the lookout for a Placido Polanco Marucci "Polanco Cut" bat for some time, finally found one at the right price. I just always liked the look of the large knob. This bat is from April 21, 2007.

Took a photo with the other half of the former Tigers double play combo partner, Carlos Guillen (Sam 06, Rawlings 06, Nokona 08). I previously shared these bats, but the link is now broken due to Photobucket changing their hosting policy.
                Attached Files

Comment

• russyurk
                  • May 2008

Digging thru this post looking to reference some of the great info we used to share. Forgot how much I miss this site, the people, sharing great pickups, knowledge and appreciation for all things game used.
                  Russ - Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, Team USA and Detroit Tigers GU.

Comment

Working...