Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 23 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Re: Detroit Tigers GU

I'm just curious if anyone can add as to what the handwriting in marker on the tag represents? "JS" "G"

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I'm just curious if anyone can add as to what the handwriting in marker on the tag represents? "JS" "G"
    JS are the initials of the tigers equiptment manager Jim Schmakel and G stands for gamer (I've always assumed). His initials were seen on most tiger jerseys if they left the clubhouse, but nowdays w/ authentics, some do leave w/out his initials on them.
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    JS are the initials of the tigers equiptment manager Jim Schmakel and G stands for gamer (I've always assumed). His initials were seen on most tiger jerseys if they left the clubhouse, but nowdays w/ authentics, some do leave w/out his initials on them.
    I was looking at the Carlos Guillen 2010 Home Jersey with the EH patch on Saturday. I noticed that the jersey had the JS and G marking on the tag although it was on the game issued rack. Marc Himelstein came over and try to sell me on the jersey. He stated that they were selling it as a game issued because it was not MLB authenticated. He did say Jim Schmakel often makes these markings "to feel a part of the process." Marc said it in a little bit of a snide tone. I know that Jim has been doing this for years and I believe it was his way of authenticating stuff. It is now a bit dated as the Tigers obviously don't give it much weight.

It still could be Jims way of letting us know what was used or not when it leaves the clubhouse. I noticed on that issued rack too some he had marked 'N'...I figured that was for 'new' or 'not used' which I thought was kind of cool.
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Here's a couple photos of a Magglio bat back in 2008 which I thought were cool because it shows he used the same bat in BP & during the game that day (thanks Rich for putting these together for me!!!). Ive had the bat for a year or so...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

It still could be Jims way of letting us know what was used or not when it leaves the clubhouse. I noticed on that issued rack too some he had marked 'N'...I figured that was for 'new' or 'not used' which I thought was kind of cool.
    Dale, you are absolutely right and I saw the same thing. Even though Marc was a little dismissive, he still looked at the labeling Jim provided and confirmed the markings on the taggings as being accurate. I think the frustration for Marc is that he can't get his mark-up without it being MLB authenticated.

Glad you mentioned the "N" marking, that was the first time I had ever seen that on a Tigers jersey. Good to know what to look for especially if/when some of this stuff hits the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    Dale, you are absolutely right and I saw the same thing. Even though Marc was a little dismissive, he still looked at the labeling Jim provided and confirmed the markings on the taggings as being accurate. I think the frustration for Marc is that he can't get his mark-up without it being MLB authenticated.

Glad you mentioned the "N" marking, that was the first time I had ever seen that on a Tigers jersey. Good to know what to look for especially if/when some of this stuff hits the secondary market.
    Yep, I agree w/ you 100%!!
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Thanks for the information. I got this jersey directly from Bill Ripken himself a couple weeks ago. He told that the equipment manager for team USA in the WBC was the Tigers equipment manager (Bill was the third base coach) and he brought it out with him to give to Bill that spring.

Tigerdale picked up these gloves at Tigerfest for me. I haven't seen anyone other than Jackson wearing this style, in this color. I guess they could be his, but anythings possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned

Angry Re: Detroit Tigers GU

This goes back to as far as the 1980s. In that era, unlike now, the Tigers made a concerted effort to restrict game-used jerseys getiing in the hands of fans and collectors. It was not uncommon for game-used dealers at Detroit area shows to hide their Tigers unies under their tables and only bring them out for trusted customers. Horror stories have been told of dealers even having their Tigers jersey inventory confiscated by undercover team employees under threats of calling the police to charge the dealer with possession of stolen merchandise. Back then, the JS and G notations were Schmakel's way of marking an item as being legitimately released into the marketplace by the team Jerseys without these markings on the tag (at least the JS) were considered by the team to be stolen property, and undercover team employees would visit small and large card shows looking for the unmarked ones.

Dave Miedema