Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murfsteve25
    • Oct 2008

Fan in Boston gets g/u bat taken away

As im sittin here watching the Red Sox/Yankees game, Mike Lowell was up to bat in the bottom of the 2nd and his bat went flying into the stands. The bat hit a fan but he held onto the bat. The fan sat back down in his seat and held the bat up as he was looking at it. Within SECONDS, security runs down and literally grabs the bat out of the fans hands and runs back up the steps. The camera was still on the fan and you could clearly see how confused he was as he threw up his hands.
    Always buying David Justice items
  • yanks12025
    • Jan 2006

Re: Fan in Boston gets g/u bat taken away

Crap, you beat me to it, so now we have two posts about it.

Comment

• murfsteve25
      • Oct 2008

ya...lol i just saw yours too. That sucks for the fan that they just took the bat from him like they did. I thought anything going in the stands was fair game?? Security pretty much ripped the bat from the fans hands.

Comment

• metsbats
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by murfsteve25
        As im sittin here watching the Red Sox/Yankees game, Mike Lowell was up to bat in the bottom of the 2nd and his bat went flying into the stands. The bat hit a fan but he held onto the bat. The fan sat back down in his seat and held the bat up as he was looking at it. Within SECONDS, security runs down and literally grabs the bat out of the fans hands and runs back up the steps. The camera was still on the fan and you could clearly see how confused he was as he threw up his hands.

Are you sure it was security and not a Steiner rep
        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• David
          • Sep 2024

Maybe they were worried he got injured and wanted to destroy the evidence.

Comment

• joelsabi
            • Aug 2005

did the fan get a replacement bat or that was that?
            Regards,
            Joel S.
            joelsabi @ gmail.com
            Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• murfsteve25
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by joelsabi
              did the fan get a replacement bat or that was that?
              no idea. the camera was on the guy long enough to show him confused and upset. Then it went back to the ballgame. From what I saw, I'd guess that was that since the security guy didnt say anything to the fan. He literally walked down, grabbed the bat out of the fans hands, and went back up the steps. You couldnt snap your fingers quicker than what happened.

Comment

• mvandor
                Banned
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by metsbats
                Are you sure it was security and not a Steiner rep
                Too funny. In a bad economy they'd mug a guy for a bat!

Comment

• mbrieve
                  • Jul 2008

Does Fenway have a no bat policy? I know that Comerica Park does not allow fans to possess bats in the park. If you buy a bat from Marc at the Authentics booth, I believe they hold onto it until the end of the game or whenever you leave the stadium. Maybe the guard will hold onto it until the end of the game and then give it to the fan.

Just a thought...

Comment

• metsbats
                    • Nov 2005

In any case that was really an abrasive way of handling the situation. A paying customer (who paid a premium at Fenway to see the Yankees) gets hit with a flying bat and gets the bat abruptly yanked out of his hands. No "sir are you ok after that flying projectile hit you". If this happened in Yankee stadium there would be a lawsuit in the making.
                    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
                      • Sep 2007

if some usher came down and tried to snatch the bat out of my hand after it hit me he would get the bat wrapped around his head. Thats a BS move no matter how you try to play it out and if he is smart he will use the publicity of it happening with literally millions of people watching (Red Sux/Yanmees no less) to get some free tix as well as a replacement bat.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                        • Dec 2008

Like I said in the other thread.....

".......from my cold, dead hands."

There is NO WAY those security morons would have gotten that bat from me. I would have held onto it as they escourted me out of the park, but NO WAY.......NONE WHATSOEVER, would I have let go of it.

Then, I would have been on local news, made a HUGE stink, probably having the whole thing escalate and end up on ESPN's SportsCenter. They have NO RIGHT to steal that bat from that fan.....PERIOD.

I challenge anyone, especially from the other recent thread we all just had on this topic, to prove me wrong.

I am not playing "tough guy" here.....I'm talking legality. Once it enters the seats and hits me.....it's MINE!

Comment

• murfsteve25
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
                          Once it enters the seats and hits me.....it's MINE!
                          Agreed!

Comment

• mattmueller
                            • Dec 2007

Squeeze:

If you are asking for somebody to provide an indication of how you would not own the bat legally, I will copy my post from the other thread below. I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of the legality of the situation is that you have no basis for your assertion of finders keepers related to a bat in the stands.
                            _______
                            ...If I recall reading the legal issues on the McGwire and Bonds cases correctly, it is my understanding of the legal principles that allows fans to keep balls that make their way to the stands via home run, toss by player after a foul ball etc. is that of intentional abandonment. The team/MLB owns the ball, but has intentionally given up the ownership rights to it once it reaches the stands because they let the ball go without any intention of retrieving it. This abandonment premise has been built based on 100+ years of this tradition of fans keeping the balls, as well as in part codified by teams that put statements on signs and backs of ticket stubs indicating ~"fans may keep balls hit into the stands".

This is much different than bats, helmets, jerseys, etc. which make their way into the stands. Because there is consistent history of teams retrieving these items (e.g. NOT intentionally abandoning them) if they get to the seats, and because there are no signs or tickets that say "you can keep bats that end up in the stands", teams have consistently invoked their rights to retain the property. Therefore, there is no common law abandonment case, and those items remain the property of the team / MLB.
                            ____

Matt
                            email is matmuell at umich.edu

Comment

• eisenreich8
                              • Jun 2007

Right. If the organization's intention is to get the bat back, they are going to get the bat back. Quickly, neatly, completely.

Comment

Working...