Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: GFC: 1984 Michael Jordan's "first" jersey

His first regular season game was against the Bullets.
    I have that DVD somewhere (2nd half only), I could always dig it up if somebody wanted me too.

Whoops.

Meant to add his first game that his actual first game was a home game.
    I got that entire Milwaukee game on DVD too though.

Something from the item description that I do not understand:

"To add to this pristine provenance, we have detailed notes from our consignor who had many conversations with Tim Hallum of the Chicago Bulls who recalled “if that jersey has a number and name change, sounds like you have the very first jersey this organization issued Michael Jordan.” This treasure of basketball history is also accompanied by a photo of Michael wearing this very jersey early in his 1984-85 rookie year."

Preseason? The game photo looks convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    warren, wouldn't it be interesting if the jersey had been used solely during preseason games and not at all during the regular season? if that's the case, then it may have been the first jersey issued to jordan but i'd think the value would take a substantial hit if it had never been worn during the regular season. at a minimum, i think it's evident that it's not the first road jersey jordan was issued for the regular season.

here's the other odd thing about the GFC jersey. the previous number on the jersey seems to have been #35. i can't make out the previous name but it seems to have started with a "W". in 1984/85, there was no #35 on the bulls nor was there a #35 on the 1983/84 bulls.

rudy.

the other thing that perplexes me about the current GFC jersey is the tagging. all of the other 1984 jordan jerseys i've seen had rawlings tags on the outside tail and no tagging in the collar. the GFC jersey has collar tagging and no tail tagging. can any nba collectors offer insight into this variation?

as a buyer i'd want to know if the GFC jersey was used solely in the preseason and also when and where the GFC photo was taken.

rudy.

Banned

It's possible that the jersey, if indeed, a number changed, recycled piece, was from 1982-83. Two players wore 35 that year: Larry Kenon and Larry Spriggs.

Rudy: I have seen the collar tag in early 1980s Rawlings jerseys (Bulls and Rockets), but the ones I can remember usually had some type of tail tag also. Not saying the jersey being analyzed is wrong, but saying that it would be unusual.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I think if this can be proven to be Jordan's first pre-season jersey ever worn with the Bulls, it will be the most valuable basketball jersey in history. Can it be proven?
    Pre-season or regular season doesn't matter, if it is Jordan's first Bulls jersey.

Could #35 be a pre-season player who never made the final roster? It would be nice to know that Jordan's first professional jersey is still in existence.

The abundance of phony Jordans on the market cause concern for the true legitimate relics. Whether or not this Grey Flannel Jordan is what it is claimed to be.

i suppose each collector is different. personally, i place far less value on preseason/training camp/spring training jerseys than regular season. of course in this case i understand that if it were preseason only it would still technically be the first jersey he was issued even if it never saw regular season action. i suppose any potential bidders could decide the value for themselves. i do think they ought to know though whether it ever saw regular season action. i think most would interpret the GFC ad to imply that it's jordan's first regular-season gamer. (of course, that would be impossible given that his first ever regular season game was at home). my point was that it's likely not even his first ever regular season road shirt.

anyway, this french guy has this shirt and he calls it a procut:

http://23raisons.free.fr/jersey.html

re: the name/number change
    perhaps the bulls kept a separate stash for their preseason games and these shirts routinely had name/number changes?

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post

Does it appear that the black vinyl heat-pressed layer of the number "3" is missing?

Is this a camera angle issue?

Could this be evidence of a front number change?
    When these heat-pressed numbers were changed they often would break apart in layers.