Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: GFC: 1984 Michael Jordan's "first" jersey

Were Dave Corzine and Mark Olberding twin brothers?
    Yeah, that's Corzine. And it looks like Orlando Woolrigde to the right.

I guess it's not?? Sure looks like him but not his number.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    I guess it's not?? Sure looks like him but not his number.
    I think he is wearing another player's jersey. Olberding has dirty-blond STRAIGHT hair, Corzine has dark, afro-ish hair. It has to be Corzine. Look at some pics and compare.

*sorry to hijack this thread, but there are very few threads that interest me (still waiting for Vick to get busted with steroids, the bandwidth on this site might explode)

Rudy has done some fine research on this Jordan. It would be nice if Grey Flannel would do the same.

Rudy has done some fine research on this Jordan.
    Agreed! And I always enjoy a hoops thread.

It would be nice if Grey Flannel would do the same.
    There ain't no money in research.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I think he is wearing another player's jersey. Olberding has dirty-blond STRAIGHT hair, Corzine has dark, afro-ish hair. It has to be Corzine. Look at some pics and compare.
    at first i thought you guys were out to lunch but looking at these two pics and it really does seem like corzine put on olberding's jersey..

anyway, my point still stands that the photo is from 1982/83 because noone but olberding wore #53 that season and in 1981/82, artis gilmore wore #53 and i don't think there's any confusing gilmore with olberding/corzine.

rudy.

Banned

Rudy-

Clearly, Grey Flannel must have some insight to this or at least some additional information that allows them to make their claims that this is MJ's first jersey-have you or any other Forum reader contacted Ritchie Ruzek or T.J. with your findings and concerns?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    dave

how's this:

the photo shows #53 for the bulls, mark olberding. he's the tall, bearded fellow. olberding only played one season for the bulls - 1982/83. in 1981/82 he played for for the spurs. check out the guy behind olberding wearing #2-something.

rudy.
    Works for me...the Bulls must've been transitioning that season.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Rudy..

I was thinking more about this "first" thing....wouldn't the picture of Jordan holding up the Bulls jersey at a press conference be considered his "first" issued jersey?

also the GFC description seems pretty vague to me...I like concrete details about jerseys before I decide to bid on them....how many times Jordan won MVP doesn't make the jersey anymore real to me

if I was interested in this jersey I'd sure like to know what the circumstances were with the Sotheby auction....Sotheby's provided the same apparent "style match" photo at that time as well...so whats the deal?...I would contact David Kohler to see if he could shed some light

Quote Originally Posted by lund6771 View Post
    I was thinking more about this "first" thing....wouldn't the picture of Jordan holding up the Bulls jersey at a press conference be considered his "first" issued jersey?
    the idea of a "first" is interesting because it's somewhat subjective. for me personally, a player's "first" jersey is the one they wore in their first regular season game. as i discussed with another forum member, if you went to the NBA HOF and they had the ball from jordan's "first 3 pointer" or "first game" would the ball be from the preseason or regular season?
    noone ever refers to any firsts or lasts from preseason play.

anyway, GFC stated it was the "first jersey issued to jordan", as opposed to worn by him. i don't even understand the statement or how it could be made. how could anyone but jordan and the equipment manager surmise the order in which jordan physically received his jerseys? isn't it likely that jordan was issued several jerseys at once? was he really issued one jersey at a time and on different days? how is GFC saying that he was issued this one before his others? perhaps they mean "worn". in the case of the press conference home jersey, it probably is the first bulls jersey made for/handed to jordan, even prior to any practice jerseys. maybe it's even the same jersey he wore in his first regular season game. if it were the same shirt, then that shirt would truly, in every single sense, be the first shirt jordan was issued AND wore.

i'm not sure how conclusive hallum's comment can be given that PR directors typically aren't involved in the everyday details of equipment management such as what jerseys a certain player was issued and when exactly they were issued them.

rudy.

GFC: "In the photo match that accompanies this jersey, MJ is wearing white Nike sneakers which he only wore early in his rookie year. He later switched to his patented red and black Air Jordan Nike’s that season."

NBA.com:
    "Jordan's personal style was equally authentic and unique as his basketball skills. Nike signed him to a major shoe deal because of his anticipated appeal, but he surpassed even the loftiest of expectations.One version of the sneakers he wore in his first preseason was an unseen before blend of his team's red and black colors that the NBA initially considered in violation of the "uniformity of uniform rule." Subject to fines if he continued to wear them, he occasionally did and the demand for that version and others in the Air Jordan line was unprecedented."
    http://www.nba.com/history/players/jordan_bio.html

rudy.