Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: GFC: 1984 Michael Jordan's "first" jersey

re: dave o'brien's pic

given the shoes that jordan is wearing in dave's pic wouldn't be safe to say that the pic is definitely from the preseason as jordan never wore those particular shoes in the regular season?

rudy.

re: aeneas' matches

the game vs nj. game # 25 or 39. here's a pic of jordan vs the nets in 1984-85. can't tell conclusively if its game 25 or 39 but i'd say judging from his white/red nike air ships, it's more likely to be 25.

rudy.

... larger size of my pics
    Attached Images Attached Images   

..larger size..2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As a casual observer with no stake in trying to prove or disprove this jersey's authenticity, I think the evidence tilts towards this being a Jordan rookie gamer of some sort. Serious Jordan collectors have to weigh this against whether there's even a chance that an iron-clad bullet-proof photo-matched Jordan rookie gamer even exists, especially his "first" one, and what that would fetch price-wise compared to this. If you were to replace "Jordan" with "Lemieux" and we were looking at photos of Mario's rookie year, with debates over little nuances like previous heat-sealed numeral remnants and whether he wore it in game 5 or game 35, I'd be all over it and in fact I'd be hoping for people to raise doubt in order to keep competitive bidders away.

I got this from an APBR member. I'm assuming it's accurate.

Not sure if every Bulls pre-season game has been established in the press clippings above or not. But, FWIW...

10/5 Bulls 102, Ind 98 @ Peoria
    10/7 Bulls 107, KC 100 @ St. Louis
    10/9 Bulls 100, Mil 97 @ E Chcago
    10/13 Bucks 99, Bulls 84 @ Milw
    10/15 Bulls 91, NY 90 @ Glens Falls
    10/18 Bulls 112, NY 93 @ NY
    10/19 Kings 103, Bulls 89 @ Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    I got this from an APBR member. I'm assuming it's accurate.

Not sure if every Bulls pre-season game has been established in the press clippings above or not. But, FWIW...

10/5 Bulls 102, Ind 98 @ Peoria
    10/7 Bulls 107, KC 100 @ St. Louis
    10/9 Bulls 100, Mil 97 @ E Chcago
    10/13 Bucks 99, Bulls 84 @ Milw
    10/15 Bulls 91, NY 90 @ Glens Falls
    10/18 Bulls 112, NY 93 @ NY
    10/19 Kings 103, Bulls 89 @ Chicago
    wait a minute..if the bulls first preseason game was in peoria, then does that mean that for jordan's first preseason game he would've worn a home jersey?

rudy.

1) alberto's last 2 pics show the knicks. in the last pic jordan appears to be wearing black/red shoes. in his first regular season game at MSG, jordan had a correct jersey. i believe this likely means that alberto's last 2 pics are from the same exhibition game as dave o'brien's pic; the preseason game in glen falls.

2) according to press clippings, jordan's first preseason game was in peoria, IL against indiana. as such, jordan would've worn a home jersey. in his first preseason game, jordan wore a home jersey. in his first regular season game, jordan wore a home jersey. in his first road regular season game, jordan didn't wear the GFC shirt. it is not possible for the GFC shirt to be jordan's "first" shirt, either preseason or regular season.

robert, do you feel it was remiss of GFC, who stand to collect a handsome profit on this jersey, not to do the research that a small collection of amateur collectors managed to do for free, before declaring they likely had jordan's "first jersey"? i do. GFC had 1 photo that was previously used by Sotheby's. this thread managed to produce several photos showing jordan wearing the incorrect font. none of the posters on here have access to all of the resources of the NBA HOF and none of them claim to be the "official authenticators for the NBA HOF" yet they all outperformed GFC's efforts several times over. usually you get what you pay for in life but GFC seems to be an exception. GFC did end up being remiss, but it was in calling the shirt jordan's "first", not the reverse. if this is indicative of the effort GFC puts into his highest-end premier items, one can only imagine what they do with the mid-range items.

rudy.

nba.com:

"Perhaps appropriately, it began in Peoria. You know the old line about whether it will “play in Peoria,” being shorthand for whether it would be accepted by America. Michael Jordan’s first professional game was in Peoria, an NBA exhibition between the Bulls and Indiana Pacers. Jordan scored 18 points in 29 minutes and the Bulls won.."

so much for it being his first jersey. i guess now the only question left is whether he ever wore the jersey in the regular season.

rudy.

Grey Flannel needs to uncover a photo of Jordan from this game in Peoria.