What do you want to happen to your collection when you die?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • halzeus
    • Apr 2008

Re: What do you want to happen to your collection when you die?

My son, nephews, and neice will get all of my Michigan items.

We have many Wolverine fans in our family.

Comment

• thegoodz15
      • Dec 2007

i never had to think about this living in new york 10 years ago as i was single and buying up yankees items and game used bats. fast foward after 9/11 and i now maintain one of the largest yankees game used collections on the east coast, living in florida just turning 47 and having my first child a year ago....i really starting thinking about this.....for instance.....a month ago i purchased a item i had been looking for 20 years....after purchasing it i realized i had my daughter college to pay for...lol......after sending pics to a friend of mine for 20 years ..he couldnt believe i had it....his offer was around 50k.....if it was a bat....i would have said no....but it was the first time in my life i had i had another somebody to think of....my guess my daughter would get the stuff and my wife would call sothebys or hunt auctions....and what took me 40 years to build....would be gone in 20 minutes....lol.....so until that day im buying yankees game used bats more then ever.....hehe..and we will send a 18ft truck anywhere in the usa for game used bats....and ya know since 1984 i still really love this shit.......

thegoodz15......scott

Comment

• coxfan
        • Feb 2009

I want my heirs ( wife and daughters) to be free to sell or donate whatever they're not interested in. But I'm concerned that they may not know the significance of each item. So I keep a running file on a flash drive that records pertinent data such as where I got something and why I think it's important. I update it whenever something new is added.

They know about the flash drive. Fortunately, my wife and daughters all get along well, so I'm sure they can decide what to do amicably with each piece.

Comment

• RaiderNationPDX
          • Mar 2011

I'm in my mid-twenties, so hopefully I've got a long while before this becomes an issue, but I've made some plans. Especially after seeing where some folks' collections end up after they're gone (ShopGoodwill.com, for one - sad), I at least want my heirs to at least know what everything is, so I keep a written ledger of everything: what it is, which game it was used in, identifying marks, provenance (split into substantiated and unsubstantiated), etc. with attached receipts/COA's and a flash drive of photos. Fire-resistant safe, along with documentation of other valuables.

Now, what they choose to do with it is a different issue. My wife will likely keep the hockey stuff, but she has full license to unload whatever she doesn't want, hopefully for as much cash as possible. Whatever kids we may have should have a crack at it, but if they end up being into musical theater or something, that might be a tough sell...

Barring that, I'm totally on board for the aforementioned game-used pyre.

Comment

• Shipp_96
            • Feb 2011

I have advised my wife to sell it all and make what she can off of it; the sad thing is it's the best "investment" I have.

She claims she would want to keep it all to remind her of me, but I have implored her to sell it. Keep a jersey I wore while watching a game or maybe some signed 8x10s, but I hope she would sell all the GU stuff.

Comment

• Larry Pelliccioni
              • Nov 2005

Charity.
              Let Go, Let God.
              Larry Pelliccioni

Comment

• 34swtns
                • Apr 2006

My wife has a short list of people to call to help her dump this junk.
                Highest bidder, baby!

Comment

Working...