What do you want to happen to your collection when you die?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lund6771
    • Dec 2006

Re: What do you want to happen to your collection when you die?

Originally posted by gatorcollector
    Any coincidence that you posted that around 4:20 this afternoon?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by skyking26
      I have 2 children. After I kick off, I'd like them to get the stuff divided evenly (by my wife) and it will be handed down the ranks (grandkids etc) thereby. Some stuff they will have no interest in and may elect to sell, some stuff I spent alot of time getting auto'd etc., so I'd like that to remain in the family...

RK

NOTICE TO FORUM: PLEASE READ POST DIRECTLY ABOVE. IT WAS POSTED BY A TRUE GENTLEMEN, AND A REAL MAN. AN HONEST MAN.

Thanks, RK,

Steve

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dewey2007
        Good question. I haven't really thought about this until you started the thread but definitely a good thing to think about it since you never know.

If I have children I would probably leave it to them because my wife wouldn't want it. She could do without the stuff now so I know she wouldn't want to deal with it later on. I would and will also consider donating my Alameda player stuff to our local museum and my Cal-Berkeley stuff to the University athletic department.

Or I might just take it all with me!
        Same goes for you, Dewey. Honest, sincere, and totally from the heart.

Just get a BIG plot if the last statement comes true.....

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
          Buzz-kill

I know.......I'm just a bit more wordy than you, sorry.

Comment

• eisenreich8
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by gatorcollector
            Not to be morbid or anything, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this topic. Have you made specific plans for your collection if you were to pass away? Will your family sell it off? Keep some?

Personally, I would want my collection donated to the University of Florida. I think they could put together a pretty cool display using my stuff. Or maybe they could auction it off to raise money for the program.

What about you guys?

That's the ticket Gator. I would let Jim Eisenreich's Tourette's Foundation auction off whatever they saw fit, to raise funding for their programs.

I've got plenty of other crap that my family can play with. Toys my folks never had. Beach house, boats, stuff that's harder to move. They can play with them or sell them. It's only material stuff anyway, not the stuff that matters most in life: love, respect and morals.

The game used memorabilia will probably find a home long before I'm in the ground. Retirement is 3 years away for me and the rest of my days will be helping sons become dads and enjoying the benefits of many years of hard work.

At this point in time I don't think my boys have any interest in my collection, any more than I listened to my dad's Dixieland collection.

They are too busy playing baseball themselves and me coaching them there may be a collection we can build all our own. Thanks for the thread Gator.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
              • Dec 2008

Speaking in realistic terms, those of you that have worthwhile collections understand......"toys" have seals that dry up, oil leaks, they go out of style, they break down.....they require maintenance.

Houses are always a great investment, but also require upkeep, and sometimes a lot more than expected.

But historic sports collectibles that are one of a kind only become more historic and collectible as time goes on, as more interest is developed in the sport. Every year there are more and more "fans" who eventually desire to participate in the wonderful hobby we enjoy.

You do the math. Supply and demand.

All you have to do with your collection is display it proudly, protect it, and enjoy it as it enhances your life exponentially.

So when your number is called, I would think the decent thing to do would be to allow your family to do as they see fit with it. If it truly is a collection of importance and magnitude, then most likely you have already had discussions with them about this very subject, and the decision has already been made.

But in those cases where you have something that only means something to you?......then maybe it's not important what the outcome is, and then it's OK to donate it to whomever you see fit. Far be it from me to tell anyone what to do with their possessions.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                • Sep 2007

If the kids don't want it, I'll sell it off to someone who wants it and use the extra cash to fund my retirement. At this rate, gas will be around $7 a gallon - and I'll need every dime to fill my RV.

I donate plenty to charity - I work hard, and don't get paid enough, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that.
                Dave
                Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                River City Redbird Authentics
                http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Scene: In front of my house

Man: How much for the bat?
                  My Daughter: Oh. How about $10?
                  Man: I don't know. It has a crack. See. (show bat crack)
                  My Daughter: OK $2.50 and it yours.
                  Man: Gee. Thanks. (hand $2.50)
                  My Daughter: No, thank you. If you are into sports, there's another box of old sport equipment over there.
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com
                  Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• eisenreich8
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by bigtruck260
                    If the kids don't want it, I'll sell it off to someone who wants it and use the extra cash to fund my retirement. At this rate, gas will be around $7 a gallon - and I'll need every dime to fill my RV.

I donate plenty to charity - I work hard, and don't get paid enough, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that.

I agree Dave. Between the cash and blood donations and the walk for this and that over the years.....I truly don't have a significant cash investment in game used anymore. At one time I had a sizeable stash but capitalized on the sale of most of it after the 2004 WS, and focused more on personal collecting, such as Eisenreich and 2 HoF'ers.

Not that this has any GU relevance, but I would have a much tougher call on how to divest myself and/or my family of all the Civil War-related stuff I have. Well into the 6 figures, that was my first passion in collecting and would set up my survivors nicely.

Then I got into collectable firearms, also a great investment and the ones I don't take to the range are the ones that aslo will always have a devoted buyer following.

Next came baseball GU & GW, which I cherish, but which would truly be among the first things I would liquidate if I had to, but God willing, it will stay in my sports room, cuz I ain't checking out till I'm ready to.

Comment

• rj_lucas
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by eisenreich8
                      cuz I ain't checking out till I'm ready to.
                      Make sure the 200-year old blunderbuss you take to the shooting range knows that...

Rick
                      rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by rj_lucas
                        Make sure the 200-year old blunderbuss you take to the shooting range knows that...

Rick
                        rickjlucas@gmail.com
                        Is this a "Pawn Stars" reference?

Comment

• eisenreich8
                          • Jun 2007

Rick
                          rickjlucas@gmail.com

Yikes Rick, I wouldn't dare live-fire an antique. Those babies did their job in their century, my collectable/modern ones better hold together.......

Comment

• rj_lucas
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
                            Is this a "Pawn Stars" reference?
                            Yeah, I could see Corey with a blunderbuss, going all pilgrim on Chumlee's backside with a muzzle full of pea gravel. Good times...

Rick
                            rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

• spartakid
                              • Oct 2008

Yeah, I could see Corey with a blunderbuss, going all pilgrim on Chumlee's backside with a muzzle full of pea gravel. Good times...

Rick
                              rickjlucas@gmail.com
                              I love that show, having flashbacks of Chumlee testing out the cattle roping machine..
                              Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                                • Nov 2005

"Pawn Stars" is a great show. Joe six-pack's "Roadshow".

Comment

Working...