Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question(s) of the day.

I know the forum has gone through this several times, but would everyone mind replying with thier age,location and collecting interests. If you feel up to it, here are a couple additional questions:

1 - what was the best deal that you ever got on an item?

2 - which item in you collection is your "holy grail"?

3 - if you had access to a time machine and could back to the 1860's-1940's to see one team or player play the game, who would it be. Also, if you bring back one relic with you, what would it be?

Ryan

Re: Question(s) of the day.

Name: Rob L
    Collecting Interests: 19th Century Baseball

Best Deal: I guy put up a page from an autograph book of the 1933 Cleveland Indians. The signatures included Walter Johnson (manager at the time). He had a BIN for $ 75.00 and I happened to see the auction 15 minutes after it was posted. Needless to say, I picked it up.

Holy Grail Item: Tough one. Either my flat pre-1860 townball bat or the Leslie's Illustrated Creighton memorial woodcut from November 1865 (prominently framed and displayed above our bed).

Time Machine: Back to the early 1860s to see Jim Creighton play. Bringing back a trophy ball from that era would be awesome.

Take care,

Rob L

Name: Clint
    Collecting Interests: Pre 1920 baseball, some football and basketball
    Best deal: 1910 Goldsmith baseball in box for $20 dollars at a farm sale
    Holy Grail Item: 1954 Baltimore Orioles away jersey. Not in great shape but extremely rare first year jersey.
    Time Machine: I'd like to go back and see the Addie Joss day game and go through a 1880's Spalding Store. Here's a couple of store's I'd like to go through.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

1 - what was the best deal that you ever got on an item?

Hard to say since I attend a lot of auctions in person and numerous times I have picked up an item for $1 or 2 that is worth hundreds of dollars. I did pick up a 19th Century Victor Sporting Goods bat for $5 at a flea market. Just a few weeks ago I picked up a lot of baseball items off of ebay which had a baseball certificate signed by Kennesaw Landis - I paid $10 shipped for the whole lot (I had no clue that this was even in the lot until I got it - it was a very poorly posted auction).

2 - which item in your collection is your "holy grail"?

This book is extremely difficult to come by...according to the inside cover only 20,000 copies were printed in 1907 so I imagine not very many survived. Clint has one just like this, but I have never seen another or heard of another anywhere---and I've been looking for quite a while.

3 - if you had access to a time machine and could go back to the 1860's-1940's to see one team or player play the game, who would it be. Also, if you bring back one relic with you, what would it be?

I would go back to 1897 to watch the Nebraska Indians with Sam Crawford pitching (Yes, pitching) against the University of Nebraska....I would bring back the uniform that Crawford used that day.

Mike H.
    40 yrs. of age
    Ann Arbor, MI

1. Jimmie Foxx Hanna Batrite (flying bat logo) for $3.00 or Rocky Colavito gamer for $15.00

2. D&M figural trophy or Piper ball knob bat.

3. I would probably see the 1927 yanks, but I would need to go back further in time to pick up a brand new 36" Joe Jackson decal bat. Or would I go back even further and get a 38" mint ring bat? Ohhh probably the Jackson.

Clint, were did you get those AMAZING photos!?!?!?

Smile Re: Question(s) of the day.

Greg T
    45 years old
    Rhode Island

Have been "collecting" pre-1920 Red Sox for only three years but have collected old brewery advertising of the same era with my dad for thirty.

So far, haven't had a great "deal" or bargain with the Sox stuff as I really haven't been doing it for that long, but have numerous great deals with the brewery advertising (and a lot of great not so great deals) which is extremely (thank goodness!!) underpriced when compared to sports stuff of the same era.

My "Holy Grail" of the collection.....whatever happens to be the newest thing I've picked up. Right now it's a couple of beautiful pennants that we have hanging in our bedroom.

If I could go back in time to meet someone and pick up a souvenier or two....that would be a tough one... but I would probably narrow it down to hanging out at Nuf Ced's Third Base during any of the series with the original Royal Rooters and the Sox that would visit. Beer and Baseball.....doesn't get any better than that. Does a complete Pub count as a "relic" I could bring back? If it does, that would be my choice

Hi- I'll respond to Ryan's questions later this weekend when I have more time, but I also had to say that Clint those store pictures are amazing. Love the Spalding Athlettic Library and the bats sitting on the rack, BUT that GoldSmith picture is incredible....I'd say c.1925. So many neat pieces of equipment to pic out from the picture. Thanks for sharing!!

-Joe

Clint - right before we went to the see a movie last night, I saw your photos. I dont even remember driving to the theatre. I was in a daze. A couple times during the movie, my wife whispered to me..."are you zoning out"...then she said..."let me guess, your thinking about the photos!" After the movie, I broke speed limits to get home and examine the photos closer. Awesome photos!!!

Anaheim Hills, Ca.
    vintage baseball and football equipment

Best deal - just happend about 7 months ago. In FL on business, I walked into an antique shop and there in the corner was a 36' ring bat. I walked with it for $40.

Holy grail - 1870's Brooklyn Excelsiors team silk

Time machine - love to go to Chicago around 1880-1885 and watch Mike King Kelly with his teamate Cap. I would like to sit in the stands next to Spalding and discuss his playing career while watching his team. After the game, I would do anything to get the uniform that King Kelly wore.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I picked one up on ebay, and the other my dad bought at a flea market. It's always been a dream of mine to find some old building that still had all that great stuff in it. I guess that's what we are all doing, trying to rebuild an old sporting goods store.

Ryan tell your wife I'm sorry I ruined her movie night with you.

Clint

Clint, do you mind if I snag that photo for my wallpaper? Speaking of stores lost in time do you happen to remember the ebayer from Kansas that had supposedly bought an old drug store in a small town with tons of old store stock left in the back? They auctioned off an unopened Fan Craze card set...I was the underbidder on that. Wish I'd gone higher.