Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Game used baseballs

When I think of a game used baseball I think of the actual ball that was hit for a particular achievement. Homerun #100 of a platers career, Hit number 1000 of a players career, etc. I don't like when MLB saves all the balls from a game and then puts them in their auctions as game used ball from the game when so and so reached XXX accomplishment. I think this is kind of misleading and someone could believe that that ball was the actual hit or thrown ball when that milestone was accomplished.

Re: Game used baseballs

I agree. I actually started to think that mlb.com never sells actual hit balls, which for hits in a regular season game, I have never seen. I did manage to pick up a couple of game used baseballs from the futures game which were actual hits in that game. Thats as close as I have gotten though.

you guys should have seen mlb officials hording all the baseballs during the WBC a few years back. After every hit or foul tip they were grabbing them up and noting what inning and what happened. my buddy was a clubby for the USA team and even he couldnt get a baseball from it. Thankfully I got to know some of the guys on the South African team and I got one of them to give me a foul ball from their gave vs Mexico in Scottsdale.

Interesting thread...
    Last year at Angels Stadium they would often toss out lots of game used baseballs after the game ended. This year, after Garret Andersons 10 Rbi game (vs. Yankees) I noticed (when entering the stadium) they were selling MLB authenticated "game-used" baseballs.

After that, I havent seen them toss out a single ball! Plenty for sale though!

Sean

Yeah, but they never sell the balls that were actually used for a hit. They probably sell it to the player or keep it themselves...

Greed

You know, the Cardinals sell game used baseballs for $50 - and frankly, it's not a terrible idea. I mean, I have seen Photomints with a sliver of game used baseball (enough to fit a hologram on) sell for $50 and more. I buy them occasionally...for two reasons. I have some items from the 2006 season that would look good framed with something else...and having a game ball from that particular day is kinda cool...

I took my toddler son to a game earlier this year, and bought a ball from that day as a keepsake a few months later...not really an investment, but it's not real practical to make a 100 foot net and attempt to catch every foul ball in the surrounding sections...

It gets kind of crazy when World Series balls are selling for $2500 and the bag is labled "Vizcaino tip in dirt". That's a little overboard. But for regular game balls - $50 isn't too bad to memorialize a good game...heck, I spend $75 to $100 on beer and food.

I agree with you on that note. Having a game used piece from a memorable game can be nice. But why don't they sell the actual hit balls. I can tell you, I am a HUGE fan of Adrian Cardenas, and I paid $100 for the ball he hit for a bloop single in the Futures Game and I am ecstatic about it as it is a hit ball from my favorite player. Now the chances of me coming across another game used ball that was actually counting for a hit by Mr. Cardenas is not good considering the past history on the actual availability of balls like this.
    We want more balls that were a result of actual hits, which may mean more attention and documentation on MLB's part.

Brian B

I had 4 of the baseballs from isringhausen in games he saved for the A's in 2001. He threw them to either me or my daughter after each of those 4 games then signed them later on with save #. Alas they are gone now cause my vindictive b**** of an ex wife stole half my collection and sold or destroyed it before i could get to it when we separated. Aside from that the only game used baseball I have any longer is from the WBC South Africa vs Mexico game.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    Alas they are gone now cause my vindictive b**** of an ex wife stole half my collection and sold or destroyed it before i could get to it when we separated
    If it wasn't for mothers throwing away our old baseball cards and vindictive ex wifes we would have some great stuff

I feel your pain

Richard