Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What do you do if you collect a certain team or player?

Hi Everyone,

I'm just curious about how you guys handle your collections. As for me, I'm specifically a Houston Gamblers collector, and am always looking for uniforms, cards, souvenirs, etc. related to the team. When I acquire such an item, it is OFF THE TABLE as far as trading or selling goes. I consider these items a permanent part of my Gamblers collection.

I've noticed other collectors who also collect a certain team, or sometimes a certain player, but then I'll see them selling items that are what they collect. Is it because money is limited, and they found another item they wanted even more? Is it because of space issues? I'm sure there are dozens of reasons, but I'm curious to hear some replies. I know most of us pick up the occasional random item for a great price, with the intention of "flipping" it. But probably not from the team or player we collect...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: What do you do if you collect a certain team or player?

I am a big Mets collector and have sold a lot of Mets items or traded for others pieces that collectors were looking for..I have a couple oddball pieces but my collection centers on the late 70's early 80's.But I have narrowed that down to certain players from that era Joel Youngblood,Doug Flynn,Pat Zachary,Craig Swan and Frank Taveras I even picked of a few Tampa Bay Rays jerseys that Steve Henderson wore..Also from 95-98 Jason Isringhausen,Bill Pulsipher and Paul Wilson...Money is an issue sometimes my wife has health problems so if I see something I can make a profit on to help my expense I have no problem..It is unlikely you will see me selling any of the above players because they were my favorites growing up..
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

In my case, I've narrowed the focus of my collecting from when I started, about eleven years ago...and some of the items that I bought back then, I'm not so interested in keeping, anymore.

It used to be that when a player came to my team (the Diamondbacks) I would immediately look for and buy anything from that player - bats, jerseys, etc, from his previous teams. If a guy had been bouncing around for some years, like Lenny Harris or Bernard Gilkey, I might end up with bats from six or seven other teams. Then the guy leaves after a season or two, time passes, and my interest in all those other-team items begins, in a lot of cases, to diminish.

Certain players, probably only a half-dozen or so, I will still buy and hold onto their other-team items, but that's it.

This past week, I went through the list of my bats, and have identified sixty or seventy that I really won't miss, and I'd rather they were in the collections of folks who appreciated and valued them more.

I collect Mark Brunell stuff, mostly Jaguars. I occasionally will sell an item that I am replacing with a different item. Case in point, I recently sold an autographed full size Huskies helmet because I got an autographed throw- back Jaguars helmet and I just don't really have the space for another helmet. Plus buying another display case costs almost as much as the hlemt I am putting in it, which is a bummer!

I have been known on occasion to sell an item ,or two. It turns out that there is usually an item that I want more. Since I'm not a Rockefeller, I must make a choice. I too have certain items that I never plan to move. Sorry,Bob. No pants for you.
    Roger Ward- Thomecollector
    thomecollector@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by thomecollector View Post
    I have been known on occasion to sell an item ,or two. It turns out that there is usually an item that I want more. Since I'm not a Rockefeller, I must make a choice. I too have certain items that I never plan to move. Sorry,Bob. No pants for you.
    But, but, but Roger..........................
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

This is a great topic. My main guy is David Justice. Any of his items are strictly off limits and remain in my collection.

I also collect other teams/players but not as die hard about them as DJ. Any other items I have are always open for sale or trade...except for my Arod bat. I may buy an item that i like but later down the road decide to trade or sell it. thats always a possibility except for the DJ items.

Banned

I collect several player, none of which I plan to sell. The top two being McGwire and Byrnesie. With those two players all I have to say is: from my cold dead hands!!

What do I do? I check e-bay every day for items on Mets game used/worn, Robin Ventura,Swoboda,Viola,Dave Mlicki,Jay Payton,Bill Madlock,Van Slyke,etc. I wouldn't sell the Ventura,Viola,Swoboda,Mlicki stuff, the rest, who knows. It's funny how there are items that are so important to get and then once obtained you say what did I do that for?

I primarily collect Frank Thomas and typically obsess over it when given the right opprotunity...scanning auction houses, ebay, and this site almost religously. Any Thomas item I get goes into my vault and locked away or put on display in my house. I have recently been trying to branch out and collect other items that I find to be interesting and fun...however Thomas items still seem to make me the happiest all around. I really enjoy focusing my collecting efforts on one person and feel that I do a decent job obsessing over it Enjoy your collecting...I see myself as being very fortunate to partake in such an amazing hobby that hasn't been discovered by everybody and their brother just yet.

wade