Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This Thome stuff is exhausting!!!.......

I know something like this should go under the "Items wanted" posts, but there is a bit of a story to go along with this...

I have been going to every single game (alone, mind you, because my wife thinks I'm a nut) just to try to get to the lucky fan that may catch Thome's first home run as a Dodger.

I really don't care that it's the first......I just want an authentic Jim Thome home run ball. It's a major void in my home run ball collection.

Can anyone here that might have one help put me out of my misery and sell it to me? It has to have great provenance, but I'll pay you for it. The only prerequisite is that it has to be easily identifiable as real, based on what you have that comes with it (pictures, witnesses, etc.).

If I am lucky enough to get to the fan who catches his first one, assuming there will BE a first one since he is only getting one at bat a game (if he even has an appearance), or unbelieveably lucky enough to catch it myself, I'll post pics.

Well, I'm off to the Dodger game. Maybe my awaits me tonight.

Don't hold your breath......I'm sure not.

Re: This Thome stuff is exhausting!!!.......

Being a Thome fan myself, I scratch my head still at this move. A great hitter he is - but to stick him on the pine thru Sept and a week of Oct for what, one AB 'maybe' a game to be lifted by for pinch runner just makes no sense at all........

What would have made sense would have been a trade to another AL contender so he could DH, get his 4 AB's in and be more productive. You'll be spending ALOT of $$ at Dodger games that is for sure.................

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    I know something like this should go under the "Items wanted" posts, but there is a bit of a story to go along with this...

I have been going to every single game (alone, mind you, because my wife thinks I'm a nut) just to try to get to the lucky fan that may catch Thome's first home run as a Dodger.

I really don't care that it's the first......I just want an authentic Jim Thome home run ball. It's a major void in my home run ball collection.
    I wish you luck on your pursuit. I too am a fan of Thome, but I don't own any of his game-used stuff.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Thome had a no-trade clause, right? Maybe the Dodgers were the only contender who came knocking, so Thome figured he'd rather be a PH for a play-off team for a few weeks, then use the off-season to see what kind of market he can draw for being a full-time player.

My wife and your wife can compare notes.

I admire your tenacity in trying to secure the prize! The chase will all be worth it if you get the treasure!

By the way, these nuts are great!

Name:  product-img-Cashews.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  41.5 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Steve - Do you want to do something really nutty and fly to Washington for the Dodgers series at the end of the month? With the low attendence, you have a better shot of getting a Thome HR ball in Washington!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Well, had a moment of a heart blurb last night. Was sitting in the left field bleachers (with a right field bleachers ticket in my back pocket just in case....) when Thome got under one which at first had the stadium screaming. It was heading right towards me.....but fell short and was caught for an out. It's so depressing to see Mark Loretta running out of the dugout for the ninth to play first. I mean, c'mon....leave Thome in the game. This "one-at-bat" every other game just doesn't work. It's not going to keep Thome sharp.

Andrew, I'm checking out airline tickets as we speak. I just may do that, thanks a ton for the suggestion. You seem to be one of the rare ones in this hobby who can understand when another collector "has it bad". You "get it", Andrew.

I have to agree with RK (skyking26). Even though Thome himself called the Dodgers 1/2 an hour before last Friday nights deadline to say "bring me on over", this move really makes little sense.

If his bat is so special, and we know it can be, then make a bit of playing time for the guy. I don't care if he hasn't played regularly at first base for two years, I'm sure he can still handle the leather just fine.

Being a DH for two years is different than being a PH.

He has already stated he wants to play one more year next year, his last stint for an American league team as a DH, so this was his one last attempt at a shot at a ring. I understand all of that. But ONE at bat every other game? What's the point? When you aren't getting more rips at professional pitching than ONE at bat.....it's just not going to happen.

And Les, thanks for the well wishes, I really appreciate it.

Here's a few pictures.....(From Saturdays game)....
    Attached Images Attached Images     

steve...

email sent buddy.

wade

Well, had a moment of a heart blurb last night. Was sitting in the left field bleachers (with a right field bleachers ticket in my back pocket just in case....) when Thome got under one which at first had the stadium screaming. It was heading right towards me.....but fell short and was caught for an out. It's so depressing to see Mark Loretta running out of the dugout for the ninth to play first. I mean, c'mon....leave Thome in the game. This "one-at-bat" every other game just doesn't work. It's not going to keep Thome sharp.

Andrew, I'm checking out airline tickets as we speak. I just may do that, thanks a ton for the suggestion. You seem to be one of the rare ones in this hobby who can understand when another collector "has it bad". You "get it", Andrew.

I have to agree with RK (skyking26). Even though Thome himself called the Dodgers 1/2 an hour before last Friday nights deadline to say "bring me on over", this move really makes little sense.

If his bat is so special, and we know it can be, then make a bit of playing time for the guy. I don't care if he hasn't played regularly at first base for two years, I'm sure he can still handle the leather just fine.

Being a DH for two years is different than being a PH.

He has already stated he wants to play one more year next year, his last stint for an American league team as a DH, so this was his one last attempt at a shot at a ring. I understand all of that. But ONE at bat every other game? What's the point? When you aren't getting more rips at professional pitching than ONE at bat.....it's just not going to happen.

And Les, thanks for the well wishes, I really appreciate it.

Here's a few pictures.....(From Saturdays game)....
    Steve: All well said. I think in hindsight if Thome does not regret the move now, he'll regret it later......... At this stage of the game he needs to stay in the AL.

Thome was a good defensive guy. Far better then many HR guys often are. He's went on record stating that his back will not hold up to 1st base anymore, and that would be about the only spot for him. He's DH all the way. He way never reach 600 now...
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

I don't quite get this thinking. Its like you are saying that 600 HRs should be more important to him than a World Series Ring. If the Dodgers don't make the World Series, whats he going to regret? Not staying in Chicago and getting maybe 5 more HRs this year? I guarantee he would have regretted not accepting the trade a million times more if the Dodgers do win the World Series.

Seems to me that Thome is thinking the right way here. I can't understand how anyone is second guessing anything. A player who wants in the worst way to win over padding his stats is wrong?