Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dwight Gooden '87 Tidewater jersey

Does anyone have any thoughts on if this is legit or not?? The person who has it claims it comes with a LOA from Tidewater. It's a size 44... Anyone seen this in the hobby before?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Dwight Gooden '87 Tidewater jersey

Did Gooden have a rehab stint for Tidewater in '87 ? I never knew this. I saw him pitch for the Lynchburg Mets in 1983. Every great Met of the 80s played with Tidewater at one time or another.

Dwight Gooden in fact played in 4 games for the Tides in 1987.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=gooden001dwi

If this jersey comes with a team letter backing up him having worn it, I would find it completely plausible.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Did Gooden have a rehab stint for Tidewater in '87 ? I never knew this. I saw him pitch for the Lynchburg Mets in 1983. Every great Met of the 80s played with Tidewater at one time or another.

Gooden did two rehab stints. First in drug rehab in April 87 missing the start of the season and then baseball rehab with the Tides.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Yeah- the reason why this jersey is so intriguing for me is because I saw Gooden pitch in Portland, Maine against the Maine Guides during one of his rehab starts in 87. I was 10 years old at the time and I loved the Mets!

I just wanted to check with the knowledgable members (and Met experts) of the forum before making an offer for this jersey. If it really seems legit, then there's no way I can't try to have this dream piece with amazing sentimental value to me! I just hope it is legit...

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I recall it being a big deal in the hobby at the time because Tidewater included a card of Gooden in their team issued card set that summer.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/13/sp...inor-test.html

I found one article (May 87) reporting Gooden wearing no. 16 in a home pinestripe "Tides" uniform.

Here's a google article showing Doc in his Tides home uniform.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0bM...age&q=&f=false

I'm sure if you look hard enough you may be able to find a photo of him wearing the road grey Tides jersey.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Thanks for the info Metsbats! After doing some homework and looking at the scans of the LOA from the Tides which was from 1988, I've decided to purchase the jersey. The seller looks to be very reputable, and I'm very happy and comfortable with going for the purchase of a jersey worn by one of my childhood favorites in a game that represents a great childhood memory. I appeciate everyone's input from this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by cruwet View Post
    Thanks for the info Metsbats! After doing some homework and looking at the scans of the LOA from the Tides which was from 1988, I've decided to purchase the jersey. The seller looks to be very reputable, and I'm very happy and comfortable with going for the purchase of a jersey worn by one of my childhood favorites in a game that represents a great childhood memory. I appeciate everyone's input from this forum!

The letter states the jersey is an 87 and not an 88 right? I don't believe Gooden play with the Tides in 88.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Yes- the letter was written in 1988 and states that the jersey was used during the 1987 season by Gooden.