Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Need advice on cleaning stinky jersey

I personally would not wash it, but thats just me.

Wash it on gentle cycle, hang to dry.

Whats the point of washing a game used jersey, to only wash off the game use out of it(grass stains, dirt, blood). Not only that, washing something from that timeframe could damage/ruin tagging/emblems/numbers on the jersey.

Like I said, I wouldnt wash it, but its not my jersey either.

Please sell me you Chris Doleman Pitt jersey and don't worry about cleaning it. I want that jersey! Lets go Pitt!

The only game used item I washed was Frank Viola's 1990 Mets pants. It smelled of mold and didn't have game used dirt or grass so it had to be done. Besides it was used in the minors so Viola wasn't the last to wear it. But it smelled that bad and would have contaminated other items. I just followed the label instructions and machine washed it and I was very happy I did. Besides smelling better it's softer and seems less brittle/dry. I have it in a display with other items so cleaning in this example was necessary.

The jersey doesn't have any stains, dirt,or anything on it because it was last worn in the 1982 Sugar Bowl which was indoors. I really want to be careful with it due to an interesting fact. The jersey has 3 nameplates attached on the back. (PITT did not remove the nameplates from their jerseys apparently) I can not tell whos name is on the bottom nameplate, but the second one is"GRIMM". That can only be Russ Grimm who was #56 before Doleman. That means that 2 possible NFL HOF players used this jersey in college. That has to make this jersey a rare item. Right now I am leaning toward just the Febreeze and air out. Glad I started this thread as all this info has been great!!

I have a Pitt 1982 Sugar Bowl jersey as well, Eric Schubert #1. There is another nameplate beneath it, looks like "Trout" which would of course be previous kicker Dave Trout. They definitely just sewed new nameplates over the old ones!