Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice on cleaning stinky jersey

Hello to all
    I recently purchased a very nice Chris Doleman Pitt Panthers jersey. Only problem is the smell since it came from an obvious cigar smoking owner. Anyone ever encounter this problem? Any suggestion on removing the odor? Thanks

Re: Need advice on cleaning stinky jersey

I had a Pens Ron Francis jersey that reeked of cigarette smoke, sold it as a "clunker" because of it, buyer said he soaked it in Oxyclean and not only did it get the smell out it became bright white. Try at your own risk though, I have no first-hand experience! I just bought Doleman's sideline warmup jacket...your jersey is the only other Sugar Bowl jersey I have seen besides mine (kicker Eric Schubert). Great item!

Try spraying febreze on it and let it hang on the clothes line for a while. See if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    Try spraying febreze on it and let it hang on the clothes line for a while. See if that helps.
    Agreed. Letting it air out for a few days is your best bet. Out in the garage or someplace safe at night and then put it out for some fresh air during the day.

Another thing that you can do is toss it in the dryer, low heat, no FS Sheets though. This helps to air it out as well.

Do not wash it, or soak it! This will ultimately alter the condition of the jersey. If you do you FeBreeze, use a VERY SMALL amount. Spray it from a distance so it doesn't soak the fabric. Spray it while its outside on the line or something.

Good luck

When I use to do Civil War re-enacting, I wanted to make my uniform tolerable without resorting to modern methods. I had good success by hanging my uniform outside where the sun and breeze could reach it. A couple of sunny/windy days would freshen it up pretty well without taking off any dirt, grass stains, etc... You might want to tie a cord through the neck and arm holes to secure it from getting blown off the hanger. Of course, you want to do it in a relatively secure place. If such a place is not available outside, you might be able to set up something near a sun-lit, screened in window.

Quote Originally Posted by uhgrad2002 View Post
    When I use to do Civil War re-enacting, I wanted to make my uniform tolerable without resorting to modern methods. I had good success by hanging my uniform outside where the sun and breeze could reach it. A couple of sunny/windy days would freshen it up pretty well without taking off any dirt, grass stains, etc... You might want to tie a cord through the neck and arm holes to secure it from getting blown off the hanger. Of course, you want to do it in a relatively secure place. If such a place is not available outside, you might be able to set up something near a sun-lit, screened in window.
    Agreed....However, be weary that sunlight, especially direct sunlight, can and will fade a jersey.

g-d forbid you wsh it... u really believe the player was the last to put it on?

Just wash it. 99% of the jerseys that come from the teams were washed before being sold.

I'm scared to wash it due to the age, and screened on numbers. Plus the threads are loose on the sleeves and i know they will come out in a wash cycle. The info so far has been fantastic. Thanks to everyone. How do you feel about dry cleaning?????

I agree with a very light Febreeze and let it hang outside to get some fresh air. This should do the trick. I wouldn't dry clean as that is a chemical process and it could damage it. If the odor is still there repeat the air out process a few times. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Scott