Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How to get rich in America...

Hey Chris,

I know we are talking about DB's who want money for the balls they catch, but if you don't get to return to EYJ and are in the market to sell it, let me know...

BB

Quote Originally Posted by brianborsch View Post
    Hey Chris,

I know we are talking about DB's who want money for the balls they catch, but if you don't get to return to EYJ and are in the market to sell it, let me know...

BB
    BB -

I guess it wasn't quit clear in my 1st post... I already returned the HR ball to EY that night - there was no question in my mind it was the right thing to do.

Could I have held out for something more than a GU AU Ball from EY in exchange? Probably, but EY has always been cool when I met him at the 2005 Winter Meetings and a few times at Spring Training.

I wanted him to inscribe the ball I got with something referring to the homer so there would never be any doubt about - and NO, the MLB authenticators would NOT authenticate the ball he gave me because it was pulled by a Rockies rep after I got EY's homer and never talken to the authenticators. Unfortunately, because I was pretty well rushed by the Rockies reps (almost to the point of rudeness by some) I was barely able to ask him to inscribe the ball to me... I will take it with me and get him to add an inscription referring to the HR and see if he might give up a bat or batting gloves to be displayed with the ball I rcvd. I will aslo get my ticket signed as proof as it will match the card that is now on file in the Rockies archives with my name, date, seat, etc...

- Chris

As someone who participates a LOT in running down home run balls at games (mainly in Los Angeles and San Francisco), I have to say I agree that the fan who caught that first career homer of Carson's had passed rediculous, whizzed by greedy, and ended up overtaking outlandishly mindless when asking for $10,000 for it.

He could still do the right thing, contact the A's organization, and offer a reconciliation meeting to exchange the ball for something reasonable. But to take an a-hole stance like that from a young ballplayer who isn't going to be a 500 home run hitter......was just irritatingly stupid.

If I were a guy in Chris's situation, I would have handled it in s similar fashion.....with one possible difference. I would have told the rep's to "back off" and allow you the time to do as YOU see fit. That way you may have been able to ask for what you wanted, instead of worrying about it now. After all, you were intending to do the decent thing. You were in the driver's seat. But I also know when things are moving fast, you just do the best you can and the situation does get hectic...full of pressure. I think you did a nice thing. EY Jr. was lucky it was you that ran down his first homer.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    How about any of you? Any players you wouldn't feel bad telling to suck it unless they wanted to meet your demands?

- Chris
    ANY steroid douchebag!

Also, guys who have screwed me over on requests for GU items (Matt Stairs, Tim Redding, Jason Giambi).

Dave M.
    Chicago area[/quote]

Dave,

What happened with Matt Stairs? As a Phillies fan he is one of my favorites.

In addition, the guy that I would screw over if I caught an important ball of his is JD Drew. Ever since he ( and Scott Boras) snubbed the Phillies in the draft, he has been public enemy #1 for me.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    How about any of you? Any players you wouldn't feel bad telling to suck it unless they wanted to meet your demands?

- Chris
    ANY steroid douchebag!

Also, guys who have screwed me over on requests for GU items (Matt Stairs, Tim Redding, Jason Giambi).

Dave M.
    Chicago area[/quote]

I'd be interested to hear your stories about Giambi and Stairs. Both of them have always been great to me and my family in regards to GU equipment.

Banned

In Giambi's case, he accepted a matted 1950s Mickey Mantle magazine ad (he and his brother Jeremy both consider Mantle a hero), agreed to swap a cap for them, and stiffed me, ducking me every time he went past.

In Stairs' case, at Wrigley Field (2002 or 2003, some point before they wouldn't let fans down to the wall to get autographs, etc. during BP) I saw him break a bat, As he left the field, I asked him if I could have the cracked bat. He denied that it was cracked, then tapped it on the ground, discovered it was, indeed, cracked, and totally ignored me while given the lumber to some young brat next to me. I know the general impression of both these guys is favorable, but, as far as I'm concerned, they're both turds.

Dave M.
    Chicago area