Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to get rich in America...

... but have no conscience or friends

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SP8I19R0FM.DTL

Really? Highway robbery?? Let the "fan" keep the ball a while, see what it gets him.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Re: How to get rich in America...

That's sad.

For some reason, I thought this was a STL 'hoosier' type thing. And 'hoosier' in STL is not a flattering statement the way it is in Indiana.

I have been present when more than one ball has been caught - and the person with the ball starts saying things like eBay, sell and cash.

Most fans would just keep the ball for a memory (and in most cases) give a milestone back to the player for a handshake and autograph or photo with the player.

Asking for money is kind of like the guy who sues the club for being hit by a foul ball while sitting in the front row of the 3rd base box seats. They are looking for a way to be bailed out of life's problems and taking a baseball hostage apparently is the way to pay off credit card debt.

Hoosier.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Its obvious the ball didn't really mean anything to the fan or they wouldn't have offered to sell it for any price. Just wanted to try to rip the player off. And a player hitting his first home run is probably not in the pay bracket for that kind of ridiculous offer as opposed to someone hitting his 400th. If I had a player I really liked who hit a big home run I caught I would be torn between giving it to him and keeping it. I think the fact I liked him would win out and I'd ask him to autograph a ball with the inscription that I had caught whatever the home run was and have a picture taken with me giving him the ball. I think that would be worth more than the fan who now has a ball that doesn't really mean anything to him and he isn't going to sell it on ebay for $10,000.

whats funny is now he has a ball that really means nothing to him that really isn't worth much cause Carson is a great guy but by no means a highly touted prospect. He could have had a nice autographed and inscribed bat instead he has to get greedy and has nothing but the ball. Oh well screw him.

Re: How to get "stupid" in Italy...

Francesco Tortti is one of the greatest italian soccer player and in Rome is (or was..) a eroe....during the last mounth he has not good feeling with the supporters.
    At the end of the game vs Fiorentina (won 4 - 1 ) Totti throw his jersey to the supporters and the jersey bounce back to him.....
    the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDr0H5dd3GE

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    whats funny is now he has a ball that really means nothing to him that really isn't worth much cause Carson is a great guy but by no means a highly touted prospect. He could have had a nice autographed and inscribed bat instead he has to get greedy and has nothing but the ball. Oh well screw him.
    exactly....his uppance came: he asked for too much, the player called his bluff, and now the fan's left with something worth very little. That's the problem with rejecting the one person in the world who really wants what you're selling.

although maybe that's too harsh. maybe he really needs cash and so auto'ed bats are worth next-to-nothing to him. he just asked for too much cash...

I have to chime in being as I was just in this situation on 9/9/09 at Coors Field when I retrieved Eric Young Jr's 1st MLB HR.

Although I felt a bit 'rushed' by the Rockies personnel, I already have every intent of getting the ball back to EY in exchange for an AUTOd GU Ball. Unfortunately, the Rockies didn't give me enough time with EY to really even ask for an inscription, so I will have to do that on my own with EY whenever I catch him signing autos or at Spring Training next year.

As far as the fan wanting cash? What a douchebag.

Although, I have to say that my friends asked if I would have held out for more if it wasn't a player I had already met and liked...

My response was that I could only think of one player I would 'hold hostage' for his 1st MLB HR and that's Stephen Strasburg. After he and Bore@$$ held the Nationals and MLB Hostage, I would have no problem keeping his 1st MLB HR in my man cave... Yes, I know he's a pitcher - I'm just making a point... I'm sure there are others that I would 'hold hostage' because of how I have seen them slight or treat others...

How about any of you? Any players you wouldn't feel bad telling to suck it unless they wanted to meet your demands?

- Chris

Banned

Once the guy left the Stadium with the baseball, it was worth nada, zilch, zero. Why? because it can't be authenticated. Suppose the guy now decides that he wants to deal the baseball. There will always be a doubt if the baseball he is offering is truly the EXACT baseball that he caught. I hope he's happy with his $19.99 MLB.

Just my thoughts,

Jim

Banned

How about any of you? Any players you wouldn't feel bad telling to suck it unless they wanted to meet your demands?

- Chris[/quote]

ANY steroid douchebag!

Also, guys who have screwed me over on requests for GU items (Matt Stairs, Tim Redding, Jason Giambi).

Dave M.
    Chicago area