Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Re: thoughts about game used joe jackson bat on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by bat_master

Can you please check your facts before you post? Thanks
    Batmaster please check my facts? Umm i didnt state a fact I stated an opinion which I told fence took look up it up on here and research for himself.
    I never said for certain if it was bluechip investments or sports or too take my word for it!!!
    So please think before you post!! Thanks

Thumbs up Re: thoughts about game used joe jackson bat on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477
    fence i dont know if your second chance offer is real or not but someone recently just mentioned Bluechip investments in one of the other posts questioning there items. Find that post and judge for yourself from all the advice given to you and try to make the right decsion!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by suave1477
    Batmaster please check my facts? Umm i didnt state a fact I stated an opinion which I told fence took look up it up on here and research for himself.
    I never said for certain if it was bluechip investments or sports or too take my word for it!!!
    So please think before you post!! Thanks
    SUAVE: You didn't mention if it was bluechip investments or sports? Are you sure? It's right there in print. Someone new to the forum that for some reason only read your post could be thinking that Bluechip Investments has questionable items. Is that really the message that was was intended?

I always think before I post. It's how I avoid spelling mistakes and the use of words like "bcuz".

Tim Byington
    www.tjsportsmn.com

Banned

BatMasters ok I didnt realize I did specify Bluechip investments but again it was an opinion and I did tell the fence too look it up for himself to find read the thread and judge for himself.

As far as my grammar, you have to excuse me I am at work and my grammar tends to be off BCUZ I am trying to do 2 things at once also I use the word BCUZ its quicker to type. So it is mispelled on purpose!!!!

Fencepost, you are about to be scammed. For a while there, I was getting these second chance offers on every item that went for over $1000. Like you, I was wondering why they would make an offer to the person 5 places down on the bid list for 1/3 the selling price. I usually pursue these as a lark, but never send money. I'll bet you 5 bucks they will want you to pay by Western Union, and they are offshore, although I did find one idiot who twice tried to scam me from Baltimore. The offer came because they broke into the real seller's account; I had it happen to me.

Go with your gut and delete the offer. Or, you could compliment them on their creativity and excellence of detail. Once I tried to make conversation with the SOB and ask how many people fall for these scams; I'd love to know how much $$ they pull in, but he cut off communication.

Ken

I've found that if you are ever in doubt, ask the seller to send you another scan of the item and ask them to include something simple in the scan like a quarter or a postage stamp. This will prove that they at least have the item.

ken,
    my ebay account was highjacked once. this person was able to get my account info, take over my account and was listing high priced season tickets to the lakers and other events. i emailed him and he was very resonsive to me. as i was cursing him out, he was replying to me to calm down, i'll have my account back in a couple of days. he said he does this all the time and he was bragging how much money he was making. he told me $40,000 in two days.

fence,
    its got to be a scam, be very careful. i havent received one of these second chance offers, then again, i havent bid on anything over $1,000 in a long time.

Banned

Bulbus, im sorry after i was hysterical laughing on the floor i had to ask you for sure!!!
    Did he actually tell you to calm down? and that he will give you your account back in a couple of days?
    Im sorry man i dont mean to laugh but that is the funniest thing I heard in a long time lmaooooooooooo

suave, i thought it was pretty funny too. not for the poor fools that sent him money though. and yes, he told me to calm down he didnt even curse back at me. we exchanged a few emails, i think i still have the print out of them. he didnt answer some of my questions though, like where do you live or how did you get my info. after i had my account back i received a couple of emails from the people who were scammed. they said he was in australia. who would send money to australia for lakers tickets???

Just my two cents here-- I would be very suspicious of the legitimacy of the second chance offer--- as a seller on ebay, I have twice had people contact me about "Second Chance Offers" that I had supposedly sent to them that I had not sent, and knew nothing about. The two times it happened I contacted Ebay who said basically that this is a common scam and please have the contacted person forward Ebay the "Offer" and they would attempt to pursue it from their end. This happened, of course, on fairly high-priced items. Go through the steps Sammy suggested (My Ebay, etc.) and contact the seller by telephone if possible...also contact the winning bidder through Ebay mail and see if the deal actually fell through.

Secondly, about the bat itself-- I believe that often times, on Ebay and in Auction House listings, both the description and the Letter of Opinion/Authenticity should be read very closely as they don't always match up well. In the description of this bat, it states "certified game-used by Shoeless Joe Jackson," then talks about barnstorming, Babe Ruth, etc. However, the LOA, issued by Mears and Graded A4 doesn't actually say that. What the LOA states is that the bat was manufactured in the early 1930s, some 10 years or so after Jackson's last appearance in organized professional baseball and when he was at least 41 years old, and that it is shown in a 1930 manufacturer's catalogue. The history of the bat stops there. The letter also states that there is no additional provenance. From that, I would reason that the bat matches Hanna Batrite "factory records" by appearing in a catalogue of bats that were available for purchase by the public and by and through retailers. From there, how does the seller place the bat into Shoeless Joe's hands? Maybe I should revisit those Ted Williams' Sears bats

The letter also shows Joe Jackson as a "Pre-war Hall of Famer." I guess i missed that election.

Mike

Just to add a few things to this, when I realized that the guy last week was trying to scam me, he and I actually exchanged emails where I told him he was a dumb jack&%$ if he thought people would fall for this. He told me many had. I told him I reported him to ebay and the authorities. He told me if I correctly guessed the country he was in he would swear to tell me the truth. Based on the grammer and speech patterns in the emails I concluded (wild guess here) Germany, Austria, Hungary etc. He never responded when I told him that and that is the very last I heard from him. Apparently this type of thing does go on all the time.

That story of Bulbus is hilarious. You are right, who would send money down under for Lakers tickets. Then again, Phil Jackson does like to vacation in Australia, maybe he has a big fan base down there.

Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht
    The letter also shows Joe Jackson as a "Pre-war Hall of Famer."
    Dear Rand McNally,
    There seems to be a war that was unmentioned in my textbook.