X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Re: thoughts about game used joe jackson bat on ebay

Bulbus, im sorry after i was hysterical laughing on the floor i had to ask you for sure!!!
    Did he actually tell you to calm down? and that he will give you your account back in a couple of days?
    Im sorry man i dont mean to laugh but that is the funniest thing I heard in a long time lmaooooooooooo

Comment

• BULBUS
      • Nov 2005

suave, i thought it was pretty funny too. not for the poor fools that sent him money though. and yes, he told me to calm down he didnt even curse back at me. we exchanged a few emails, i think i still have the print out of them. he didnt answer some of my questions though, like where do you live or how did you get my info. after i had my account back i received a couple of emails from the people who were scammed. they said he was in australia. who would send money to australia for lakers tickets???
      Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
      sigpic
      donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• MSpecht
        • Oct 2005

Just my two cents here-- I would be very suspicious of the legitimacy of the second chance offer--- as a seller on ebay, I have twice had people contact me about "Second Chance Offers" that I had supposedly sent to them that I had not sent, and knew nothing about. The two times it happened I contacted Ebay who said basically that this is a common scam and please have the contacted person forward Ebay the "Offer" and they would attempt to pursue it from their end. This happened, of course, on fairly high-priced items. Go through the steps Sammy suggested (My Ebay, etc.) and contact the seller by telephone if possible...also contact the winning bidder through Ebay mail and see if the deal actually fell through.

Secondly, about the bat itself-- I believe that often times, on Ebay and in Auction House listings, both the description and the Letter of Opinion/Authenticity should be read very closely as they don't always match up well. In the description of this bat, it states "certified game-used by Shoeless Joe Jackson," then talks about barnstorming, Babe Ruth, etc. However, the LOA, issued by Mears and Graded A4 doesn't actually say that. What the LOA states is that the bat was manufactured in the early 1930s, some 10 years or so after Jackson's last appearance in organized professional baseball and when he was at least 41 years old, and that it is shown in a 1930 manufacturer's catalogue. The history of the bat stops there. The letter also states that there is no additional provenance. From that, I would reason that the bat matches Hanna Batrite "factory records" by appearing in a catalogue of bats that were available for purchase by the public and by and through retailers. From there, how does the seller place the bat into Shoeless Joe's hands? Maybe I should revisit those Ted Williams' Sears bats

The letter also shows Joe Jackson as a "Pre-war Hall of Famer." I guess i missed that election.

Mike

Comment

• mr.miracle
          • Apr 2006

Just to add a few things to this, when I realized that the guy last week was trying to scam me, he and I actually exchanged emails where I told him he was a dumb jack&%$ if he thought people would fall for this. He told me many had. I told him I reported him to ebay and the authorities. He told me if I correctly guessed the country he was in he would swear to tell me the truth. Based on the grammer and speech patterns in the emails I concluded (wild guess here) Germany, Austria, Hungary etc. He never responded when I told him that and that is the very last I heard from him. Apparently this type of thing does go on all the time.

That story of Bulbus is hilarious. You are right, who would send money down under for Lakers tickets. Then again, Phil Jackson does like to vacation in Australia, maybe he has a big fan base down there.
          Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by MSpecht
            The letter also shows Joe Jackson as a "Pre-war Hall of Famer."
            Dear Rand McNally,
            There seems to be a war that was unmentioned in my textbook.

Comment

Working...