Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT - If You Didn't Collect Sports Memorabilia...

what would you collect? how about 60 million-year-old fossils? if so you may want to check bonhams & butterfields october auction which will feature a friggin t. rex named "samson". interestingly the same house auctioned off another t. rex a few years back that fetched a disappointing $80k (roughly the same price the jurassic park mechanical t. rex head is expected to fetch next month) despite estimates of around a million. ouch. doubly ouch given that in the late 90s a t. rex sold for $8.3 million! if you want to start a little smaller, it appears that heritage gets their hands on t. rex teeth which seem to sell for around $10k each....

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publi...FR5HagodditY_w

http://file770.com/?p=1477

robert

Re: OT - If You Didn't Collect Sports Memorabilia...

WoW! That's insanely expensive. It seems that other museums would be the sole buyers of that auction.

If I didn't collect what I collect(Sports Memorabilia- Seahawks) I would probably collect vintage Japanese toys, mostly science fiction type. I actually do have a small collection now. I love the super diecast stuff from the 70s.

I would probably collect old Lionel Trains or Rock and Roll Memorabilia. I love old concert posters with the psychedelic designs. Unfortunately I only have so much money to spend and Baseball was my first love.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I actually used to collect fossils when I was in high school. It was part of a 3 year science fair project. I live in Florida, so we don't have T-Rex stuff here. It's all Ice Age stuff. I had a tooth from a horse or a camel, a pelvis from an unknown animal, turtle shells, etc. Found it all myself too. I'd love to do that again sometime.

My best friend collects beer bottles - and when they are displayed (all over his basement) - they look pretty cool. It's not a real expensive hobby since there are so many micro-brews out there...and we have a bar here called Growlers that has literally EVERY beer made in the world.

He probably has over 1000. When he moved into a new house, it was a crazy day. He's still single, so it's not been much of an issue yet....
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I already collect stuff other than Baseball... Comic Books (just getting back into it as the kidbecame interested and he couldn't care less about the baseball stuff), some concert posters (only bands I have seen and like), some auto'd cd's of people I have seen...

As far as the comics though, when I think about it, I almost cry... I collected Silver Age Marvel KEY Issues up until about 1990 and then sold my entire collection to pay for college for a semester or two (Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1, etc...) at the time, my collection (being fair on grade) was worth just about 5k and that's about what I got out of it at a Comic Book show in Dallas...

My FF1 (Fantasic Four #1) was Near Mint with a small (1/4") professional repair on the spine, cover was white as could be - and it was signed by Stan lee and Jack Kirby. I paid $300 for it at a shop in Dallas when it was booking at $900 in MINT (and had been for about 15 years) due to the repair. A frined who needed #1 for his collection begged me for MONTHS to sell to him. When he hit $750 I said sure... I just made a $450 profit in three months!

In late 1991 or early 1992, Silver Age Marvel books went nuts... pricing started climbing and they became extremely hot and valuable... my collection by today's prices (still being fair for grading) would be worth somewhere near 1/4 million... yes $250,000...

And that FF#1? By itself - books now in MINT at almost $40,000 - just 18 years later... should have kept my invesyment!!!

Love to hear other's stories...

- Chris

My collecting interests are many.

Screen worn jockey silks from the 30s or 40s. Pink silk with polka-dots (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Official gavel used by Charles Halleck at the 1960 Republican National Convention. Halleck helped LBJ push the 1965 Civil Rights Act through congress.

Action figures made in the 70s, especially examples made by Shindana and Mego. "Hanging in a chow line."

I'm not an 'active' collector but I'm always on the lookout for antique marbles, both handmade and machine made up to around 1960.

If you have any, let me know

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    My collecting interests are many.

Screen worn jockey silks from the 30s or 40s. Pink silk with polka-dots (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Official gavel used by Charles Halleck at the 1960 Republican National Convention. Halleck helped LBJ push the 1965 Civil Rights Act through congress.

Action figures made in the 70s, especially examples made by Shindana and Mego. "Hanging in a chow line."

I have been on this board for a few years now, and nobody...NOBODY here has me as interested in meeting them in person as you, Warren.
    If you are ever near STL - I would love to sit and talk 70's Blaxploitation movies with you.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're looking for an example of off topic to game used football helmets and Steiner authenticated jock straps, below's my gallery of original fashion photographs.

http://www.cycleback.com/fashionphotos/