Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht View Post
Hi Kevin--

I appreciate both your comments and Justin's. As he correctly mentions, I place significant value on documented records where those records exist and are in sufficient enough number to establish an apparently reliable pattern. Is that too conservative ? Maybe some collectors think so. Regardless, for the most part, I believe that the records speak for themselves -- as collectors and potential buyers, each of us has to determine what reasonable conclusions can be drawn from a complete analytical examination of all existing facts.

Are there 'reliable records' other than documented factory records? Certainly. Photographic evidence is often compelling in determining individual use characteristics. But, again, conclusions should be reasoned. For instance, show me a photo of, say, Mickey Cochrane at bat using a Kork Grip H & B bat, and it is clear evidence that he used a Kork Grip bat (on at least one occasion) even though there is no documented notation in his factory records. That is compelling and reasonable. However, show me a photo of Cochrane standing in front of the Tiger dugout talking to a teammate, and 20 feet away lying on the ground is a Kork Grip bat ?? Don't try to convince me that it is reasonable to use this as 'evidence' that Cochrane used or even may have used a Kork Grip bat.

Relative to the Cobb bat, since the original post and responses I have seen a photo, while doing non-related research, that suggests a Cobb model (made for him), indexed and diagrammed at what appears to be 34 inches in length, I am attempting to get some clarification on the photo, but have had no response from wither the photographer or author of the book to date. For those interested, check out page 44 of Bob Hill's Crack of the Bat.

So, the question here is how, and through what reasoning, do you place a 33 inch bat into Cobb's hands? Numerous players ordered Cobb model bats during the period, including Joe Sewell, Riggs Stephenson, and Heine Manush. The stamping on those bats is unclear. How about some of Cobb's own teammates, such as Pinky Hargrove, Chick Galloway, and Jackie Tavener, all of whom were physically between 5 and 8 inches shorter than Cobb, and would possibly be comfortable with a 33 inch bat of their famous teammate. What is the answer?

That's the problem -- we just don't know. We can speculate all day and night about 'what might have been," but ultimately, the decision is how comfortable is a collector with any given conclusion based on demonstrable facts. In this case, would you be $50 confortable, $12,000 confortable, or $40,000 confortable with a 33 inch Ty Cobb professional model bat (not documented in Cobb's existing records -- either in 18 orders from 1921-1928, two diagrammed index bats, or his H & B display bat) with professional game use that is difficult to attribute to any specific player?

Again, there is no right or wrong answer, just information to help in establishing a comfort level.

Good Luck in future collecting, and thanks for the thought-provoking posts.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com
I agree, COMFORTABILITY (is that a word??) is exactly it. Also, demand, timing, auctions play a part too, when you start talking about THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars, these items can flunctuate up and down..up and down..

When I purchase, I look for the "Good Deals"...I feel "comfortable" with.

A 34 inch Cobb bat with "Cobb" characteristics, photo, tape pattern..etc..blah blah blah at a "good deal" price... Im all over it..

A 33 inch " " " " " " " at what price?? well that depends...with my COMFORTABILITY!! (i think its a word...)