Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: A Quick Note on the Decline of Baseball Cards

I should add that I sometimes see the marketing of modern game used as not so far different than modern cards (Steiner/Yankees prices only the insane rich could afford, Rafael Palmeiro wearing a different jersey each inning when going for 500, etc).

There's nothing wrong with collecting the stuff-- and I mean that--, but an eye should be kept on valuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache Gang View Post
    Members,

I have not collected a baseball card since the early 70's and my sons just never got into them favoring Pokemon cards instead. I just saw a video news story on www.foxnews.com showing the sports card industry has fallen from $1B a year in sales to $200M or an 80% drop. What was also interesting is that the MLB gave exclusivity rights to Topps for all baseball cards. Other companies like Upper Deck must airbrush off the names and logos from the jerseys and batting helmets.

Mark

Always collecting Oakland A's game used jerseys from 1968 to 1980.
    its very prudent of the MLB and NBA to create a bidding war for rights from the card companies, similar to tv networks getting rights to the NBA Final or the Superbowl.

Half the fun is the collector's identification to team logo and names. Also in basketball Upperdeck has exclusive rights with kobe and lebron so it will be interesting to see how Panini will handle this.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    I used to be heavily involved in collecting cards. My mother still collect pre war stuff and has almost 2 full T206 sets, myself I really stick to only buying Bowman at this point so I get the draft guys and get them autographed during Arizona Fall League and spring training.
    I just got a postcard today, about an AFL Rising Stars pre-season "family cookout" in Mesa, at HoHoKam Stadium, on October 12th. "Hot dogs and refreshments, Baseball memorabilia silent auction, Special baseball guest speaker", etc. $12 admission for charity. I believe I will try to be there.

back when i was growing up in the 80's it was clear and simple tog et your favorite players best cards/rookie cards. for me getting the 3 matting rc's donruss,topps and fleer were a delight. I remember in 1993 when the finest refractors came out and mattingly's card ahd a book value around $300!

I couldn't believe that any card would be mroe valuable than his rc or even his 82 tcma card. I was done after that.

However, I am currently and continously collecting 1 autograph of everone who ever played for the tampa bay devil rays/rays. and getting the auto signed on a card takes up the least amount of space. Also, i will get a few jersey or abt cards to get signed which looks neat with an auto. I recently got a jumbo patch card (the jersey takes up 80% of the card) of carl crawford and got him to autograph the jersey part of the card at a recent game it it looks real neat. Right after I got the auto, some guy saw it and said " wow! how much is that worth now" -- I replied, "maybe $5.00"

I don't know much about Baseball, but Football seemed to start it's decline in 1993 . I miss the days of one set of topps, bowman etc... per year and that's it. The card companies got greedy and are paying dearly for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    I recently got a jumbo patch card (the jersey takes up 80% of the card) of carl crawford and got him to autograph the jersey part of the card at a recent game it it looks real neat. Right after I got the auto, some guy saw it and said " wow! how much is that worth now" -- I replied, "maybe $5.00"
    I think I can pretty reliably trace the beginnings of my skepticism regarding card collecting, generally, to the time I heard someone trying to explain how a card could actually be devalued by getting the player, whose card it was, to sign it.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I think I can pretty reliably trace the beginnings of my skepticism regarding card collecting, generally, to the time I heard someone trying to explain how a card could actually be devalued by getting the player, whose card it was, to sign it.
    I have a run of autographed concepcion topps card from 1971 - 1988. I think its one of the cooler stuff in my concepcion collection. card purist would say i devalued the cards too. would i rather have a rc or a signed rc? id rather have one that is signed.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Two different animals here...the card IS worth more signed, but the potential market for it is diminished, as far more people collect as-issued baseball cards than autographed ones. I agree with your preference, though...I love autographed cards as well.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I just got a postcard today, about an AFL Rising Stars pre-season "family cookout" in Mesa, at HoHoKam Stadium, on October 12th. "Hot dogs and refreshments, Baseball memorabilia silent auction, Special baseball guest speaker", etc. $12 admission for charity. I believe I will try to be there.

yeah we got that postcard as well. We plan on going. Maybe we can finally meet

Each table at the dinner will also have an AFL player sitting.

Back in the late 80's early 90's I had a Reggie Jackson rookie that basically looked like someone had taken it in their hand and crushed it into a ball. At the time he was my idol (I was young what can I say) and I bought it real cheap because of the condition. I got him to sign it one day while he was visiting the A's during spring training and he lectured me about keeping my cards in good condition to keep their value high and even questioned whether I really wanted him to sign that card cause it might make the card worth less money.