X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moustache Gang
    • Mar 2007

A Quick Note on the Decline of Baseball Cards

Members,

I have not collected a baseball card since the early 70's and my sons just never got into them favoring Pokemon cards instead. I just saw a video news story on www.foxnews.com showing the sports card industry has fallen from $1B a year in sales to $200M or an 80% drop. What was also interesting is that the MLB gave exclusivity rights to Topps for all baseball cards. Other companies like Upper Deck must airbrush off the names and logos from the jerseys and batting helmets.

Mark

Always collecting Oakland A's game used jerseys from 1968 to 1980.
  • godwulf
    • Aug 2007

Re: A Quick Note on the Decline of Baseball Cards

Too many other things for kids to be distracted and entertained by, I guess.

I collected cards when I was in grade school, in the early '60s, and a lot of kids I knew were into it even in junior high...but even younger kids today have access to so much more stuff than even the well-off kids 40-50 years ago did.

Heck, why collect cards so you can look at the players' photos and read their stats, when you can do a Google image search and get all the stats at the Baseball Cube? Then print out a hard copy, anytime you want one.

The card companies have to bear some of the responsibility, too. They saw their major revenue source - kids, and their nickels - disappearing, and made a conscious decision to gear everything toward the adult collector. I remember five-cent Baseball card packs; even with inflation and higher allowances, what kid is going to want to shell out between three and fifteen dollars for a few baseball cards? Why would an adult?

Enter the "memorabilia card" - a gimmick to keep people buying those single packs, instead of just waiting for the factory set to come out...and now, I believe, more and more folks are losing interest in those monstrosities and frauds - those manufactured and artificial rarities.
    Jeff
    godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• cohibasmoker
      Banned
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by godwulf
      Too many other things for kids to be distracted and entertained by, I guess.

I collected cards when I was in grade school, in the early '60s, and a lot of kids I knew were into it even in junior high...but even younger kids today have access to so much more stuff than even the well-off kids 40-50 years ago did.

Heck, why collect cards so you can look at the players' photos and read their stats, when you can do a Google image search and get all the stats at the Baseball Cube? Then print out a hard copy, anytime you want one.

The card companies have to bear some of the responsibility, too. They saw their major revenue source - kids, and their nickels - disappearing, and made a conscious decision to gear everything toward the adult collector. I remember five-cent Baseball card packs; even with inflation and higher allowances, what kid is going to want to shell out between three and fifteen dollars for a few baseball cards? Why would an adult?

Enter the "memorabilia card" - a gimmick to keep people buying those single packs, instead of just waiting for the factory set to come out...and now, I believe, more and more folks are losing interest in those monstrosities and frauds - those manufactured and artificial rarities.
      This past weekend I went to my first show in years. As I walked around, I noticed a few things:

1) Almost every major auction house was present looking for "consignments";
      2) Some dealers were asking way too much for their items but offering way too little to buy stuff; and,
      3) the ONLY people I saw looking for cards were collector's looking to complete their team sets and those collectors looked to be in the 40+ age group;
      4) The majority of dealers all had "modern" insert cards displayed in display cases and none of those dealers seemed to be doing any business at all.

Of course all of the dealers were complaining about how bad business was but even when they are making money, they complain Right?

Here's a show tip: The best way to enjoy the show is to walk around and see what the dealers are offering. After that, just stand back and look for a collector carrying any sort of large bag. Follow that person around until he stops at a dealer's table and the dealer says, "let's see what you have". Walk beside them and pretend you're examining the dealer's table but pay attention to their conversations. If the collector has something you want but a deal isn't made, follow the collector until he/she goes down the next isle, stop them and make them a offer. Works for me.

Jim

Comment

• godwulf
        • Aug 2007

There will probably always be a strong, secondary collector's market for cards, especially older ones - but the card companies will not benefit in any way, because they sold those cards many years ago and are out of the loop.
        Jeff
        godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
          • Sep 2007

I used to be heavily involved in collecting cards. My mother still collect pre war stuff and has almost 2 full T206 sets, myself I really stick to only buying Bowman at this point so I get the draft guys and get them autographed during Arizona Fall League and spring training.

Comment

• schubert1970
            Banned
            • Jun 2008

Card collecting = scratching off a lottery ticket.

It's all about the big $ insert.

I bought a few packs when I was at Target and received a signed card......actually the card wasn't signed, but this transparent sticker was signed, then placed on the card. Why would anyone want one of these is beyond my me.

Comment

• bigtruck260
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by schubert1970
              Card collecting = scratching off a lottery ticket.

It's all about the big $ insert.

I bought a few packs when I was at Target and received a signed card......actually the card wasn't signed, but this transparent sticker was signed, then placed on the card. Why would anyone want one of these is beyond my me.

Very true. And ESPECIALLY at my local Target, I still see these losers leafing through each and every retail back, bending them, and in one case WEIGHING packs to find the "super secret" crap card.

I still collect the Allen and Ginter (Topps) set every year because it's actually fun to complete. No relics, No autographs, just the regular set and short prints. It's a great item if you buy the sealed hobby box and still enjoy putting the set together. Plus the cards are designed after a set from the 1880's, so it's kinda throwback.

None of this hologrammed, numbered, jersey/autograph, smothered, covered and chunked garbage. That stuff created more problems than anything for collectors because it drove the price of the packs up to ridiculous amounts.

I was in a local store last year and noticed that some packs (yes, packs) of 3-5 cards were going for hundreds of dollars. Lottery tickets indeed. Most of those cards are not kept in collections. They are immediately sold on eBay for a profit (if they make a profit from a $500 pack of cards).

Vent over.
              Dave
              Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
              River City Redbird Authentics
              http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• David
                • Sep 2024

I think you can differentiate between current cards and vintage cards. T206s and Old Judges are essentially antiques with eternally limited populations.

Comment

• David
                  • Sep 2024

Except for prospect and rookie card prospecting, the modern card hobby and it's spending $$ is always focused on the current, the now, this year's issue. The problem with this is that in a year this year's cards are last year's cards, and priced accordingly (lower). Anyone who collects modern cards will soon realize this is the way it works.

Compare that to a 1933 Goudey which you bought specifically because it's out old fashioned and out of date.

Comment

• joelsabi
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by cohibasmoker
                    This past weekend I went to my first show in years. As I walked around, I noticed a few things:

1) Almost every major auction house was present looking for "consignments";
                    2) Some dealers were asking way too much for their items but offering way too little to buy stuff; and,
                    3) the ONLY people I saw looking for cards were collector's looking to complete their team sets and those collectors looked to be in the 40+ age group;
                    4) The majority of dealers all had "modern" insert cards displayed in display cases and none of those dealers seemed to be doing any business at all.

Of course all of the dealers were complaining about how bad business was but even when they are making money, they complain Right?

Here's a show tip: The best way to enjoy the show is to walk around and see what the dealers are offering. After that, just stand back and look for a collector carrying any sort of large bag. Follow that person around until he stops at a dealer's table and the dealer says, "let's see what you have". Walk beside them and pretend you're examining the dealer's table but pay attention to their conversations. If the collector has something you want but a deal isn't made, follow the collector until he/she goes down the next isle, stop them and make them a offer. Works for me.

Jim
                    you described to the T on how it was when i went to cards shows in the early 90s. i guess nothing has changed.

i too noticed collectors trying to sell stuff to dealers. just be discreet because at most shows i think its prohibited for collectors to try to sell to nondealers.
                    Regards,
                    Joel S.
                    joelsabi @ gmail.com
                    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• David
                      • Sep 2024

I should add that I sometimes see the marketing of modern game used as not so far different than modern cards (Steiner/Yankees prices only the insane rich could afford, Rafael Palmeiro wearing a different jersey each inning when going for 500, etc).

There's nothing wrong with collecting the stuff-- and I mean that--, but an eye should be kept on valuation.

Comment

• joelsabi
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Moustache Gang
                        Members,

I have not collected a baseball card since the early 70's and my sons just never got into them favoring Pokemon cards instead. I just saw a video news story on www.foxnews.com showing the sports card industry has fallen from $1B a year in sales to $200M or an 80% drop. What was also interesting is that the MLB gave exclusivity rights to Topps for all baseball cards. Other companies like Upper Deck must airbrush off the names and logos from the jerseys and batting helmets.

Mark

Always collecting Oakland A's game used jerseys from 1968 to 1980.
                        its very prudent of the MLB and NBA to create a bidding war for rights from the card companies, similar to tv networks getting rights to the NBA Final or the Superbowl.

Half the fun is the collector's identification to team logo and names. Also in basketball Upperdeck has exclusive rights with kobe and lebron so it will be interesting to see how Panini will handle this.
                        Regards,
                        Joel S.
                        joelsabi @ gmail.com
                        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• godwulf
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by OaklandAsFan
                          I used to be heavily involved in collecting cards. My mother still collect pre war stuff and has almost 2 full T206 sets, myself I really stick to only buying Bowman at this point so I get the draft guys and get them autographed during Arizona Fall League and spring training.
                          I just got a postcard today, about an AFL Rising Stars pre-season "family cookout" in Mesa, at HoHoKam Stadium, on October 12th. "Hot dogs and refreshments, Baseball memorabilia silent auction, Special baseball guest speaker", etc. $12 admission for charity. I believe I will try to be there.
                          Jeff
                          godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• jake33
                            • Nov 2005

back when i was growing up in the 80's it was clear and simple tog et your favorite players best cards/rookie cards. for me getting the 3 matting rc's donruss,topps and fleer were a delight. I remember in 1993 when the finest refractors came out and mattingly's card ahd a book value around $300!

I couldn't believe that any card would be mroe valuable than his rc or even his 82 tcma card. I was done after that.

However, I am currently and continously collecting 1 autograph of everone who ever played for the tampa bay devil rays/rays. and getting the auto signed on a card takes up the least amount of space. Also, i will get a few jersey or abt cards to get signed which looks neat with an auto. I recently got a jumbo patch card (the jersey takes up 80% of the card) of carl crawford and got him to autograph the jersey part of the card at a recent game it it looks real neat. Right after I got the auto, some guy saw it and said " wow! how much is that worth now" -- I replied, "maybe $5.00"

Comment

• NEFAN
                              • Jul 2008

I don't know much about Baseball, but Football seemed to start it's decline in 1993 . I miss the days of one set of topps, bowman etc... per year and that's it. The card companies got greedy and are paying dearly for it now.

Comment

Working...