Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stadium Names

Stadium Names

Maybe I'm a purist, and I know I'll draw criticism here, but it angers me every time I see or hear a ballpark named after a corporation... What makes me more upset is when the park's name changes after several years, example Skydome to Roger's Centre...Jacob's Field to Progressive Field... If a stadium is named then leave it alone.

I know, Navin Field to Brigg's to Tiger Stadium. I know, Wrigley Field is/was the chewing gum company... One thing when it is named after a corp., the changes just tick me off.

Anybody on board, or am I alone??

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Re: Stadium Names

I think the same exact thing. I don't even remember the new names when there is a change. I still call them Comiskey, SkyDome, Jacobs Field, etc. I have to say that I hate the Yankees, but I completely tip my hat to them for keeping the old name with the new stadium when it would have made them a ton of money selling it to a corportation. I thought that was fantastic.
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by staindsox View Post
    I think the same exact thing. I don't even remember the new names when there is a change. I still call them Comiskey, SkyDome, Jacobs Field, etc. I have to say that I hate the Yankees, but I completely tip my hat to them for keeping the old name with the new stadium when it would have made them a ton of money selling it to a corportation. I thought that was fantastic.
    I feel the same about the Yankees decision on park name. A tip of the cap exposing my grey head...........
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Banned

Bob,

I'm with you, and I'm only 29. Candlestick is and was always Candlestick to me, Pac Bell Park is the same, not At&T or what ever other names it had. Its the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum, not McAfee or whatever else it was. I hate the corporate names, unless however, that was the original name of the stadium.

Aaron

Banned

I agree, we should still call the new twins stadium the metrodome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauer7 View Post
    I agree, we should still call the new twins stadium the metrodome.
    You can if ya want to Mauer. Nobody will blame you. What's the new name going to be?
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Banned

Target Field

It killed me when Angels Stadium became Edison Field. Even with that name change, most around here still referred to it as the Big A. At least it's back to Angel Stadium now.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

I've always just said, "The ballpark" - never paid much attention when my local one was called "Bank One Ballpark", or "The BOB" (entirely too cute). Now that it's "Chase Field", it's a little less annoying; I think it sounds like an airfield.

When they were soliciting bids for naming rights on the Arizona Cardinals stadium in Glendale, for a while it looked like the owners of a local restaurant were going to be the winners, but somebody put the kabosh on their bid, and the name "Pink Taco Stadium". Now that's a shame.

So long as they don't put advertisements on their jerseys like the golfers and auto racers I can generally deal with it.

I say this watching (on TV) the green screen Taco Bell rolling ad at the Dodgers game behind home plate.....

Stadium naming rights is just another form of advertising. Almost a necessary evil for most franchises to raise money. There isn't a larger single revenue generator that a team can do on their own than stadium naming rights.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500