Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Incredible Alworth San Diego Chargers Jersey on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-LANCE-ALWO...QQcmdZViewItem
    Super rare jersey...seller is completely trustworthy!

Re: Incredible Alworth San Diego Chargers Jersey on eBay!

Looks amazing. Can you tell me your observations about the jersey?
    What do you know about the seller?
    Eric

I have purchased MANY items from that seller without a single problem. He's here in Texas, and lists alot of Astros/Colt .45's items as well as Texas League items. I have purchased a few jerseys, and all have been superb.

Marcus

My research tells me the Alworth jersey was used in the 1963 or 1964 season. It appears to be made of a lightweight stretchy nylon knit. Not thick "doubleknit" or thick durene or dureen. It appears from the ad I posted and other photos that the "blue" SD jerseys were durene, but not the white.
    In 1963 and 1964 the Chargers white jerseys used a smaller font on the front and back numerals. I have found photos of SD players from the era with front and back numbers as small as the Alworth. In some photos, the front and back numbers seem like the exact same size. In 1965, the Chargers changed numeral fonts-not as stylized and MUCH larger. The small numbers may have been hard to see on T.V. This jersey was originally "elbow length", then trimmed. The lightweight knit and durene variations could be attributed to hot and cold weather use.

Banned

Ok, bold predictions, where do you think the bidding will end for this jersey? Right now there is still a week to go.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent
    Ok, bold predictions, where do you think the bidding will end for this jersey? Right now there is still a week to go.
    I'll guess 3 Gs...at least twice that with the original NOB. The question is...what will it get from the auction house when it is consigned by the eBay buyer? In November, I was closely watching a Fran Tarkenton durene on eBay. The seller didn't sell sports stuff, and made a poor listing that wasn't seen by many. I was prepared to spend $1,500. It sold for $1,700. The buyer consigned it to AMI. AMI sold it for $27,000. Yes that's what I said....twenty-seven thousand dollars. Needless to say, I had regrets.

It just goes to show that, despite all the cr*p that one is forced to wade through on eBay, the occasional gem does rise to the surface. An example, which makes a case for doing your homework and knowing what it is that you're looking for...

A recent eBay listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8804525118) somewhat clandestinely described a jersey as an "Authentic Vintage Broncos Practice Jersey Number 87". Aware that the the Broncos didn't start purchasing dedicated practice jerseys, until the early to mid-70s, any practice jerseys from the late '60s were usually recycled game jerseys from the previous season(s). Matching the unique style specifically to the 1967-'68 period, uni #87 was worn then by Broncos' Ring of Famer Rich "Tombstone" Jackson. With these clues being sleuthed out by only one other astute bidder, I was able to obtain this well-worn piece for what I considered a bargain price (considering a "common" Broncos Durene jersey from this same era recently sold for $2,315 at one of the major auction houses).

Lesson to be learned is keep your eyes open and study, study, study.

And just in case anyone is curious... No, the Jackson jersey (http://pscoggin.com/Endzone/Graphics...JacksonR_f.jpg) is not for sale and will not be consigned to one of the auction houses' upcoming events.

Best Regards,

Patrick W. Scoggin
    Endzone Sports Charities
    www.EndzoneSportsCharities.org

Quote Originally Posted by EndzoneSports
    Matching the unique style specifically to the 1967-'68 period, uni #87 was worn then by Broncos' Ring of Famer Rich "Tombstone" Jackson.
    Great find, Patrick! Glad to see it is in the hands of a true Broncos fan...

The seller of the Alworth has added this information to the listing:
    On Jun-05-06 at 08:12:44 PDT, seller added the following information:

JUST SPOKE WITH NOTED GAME WORN JERSEY AND AFL FOOTBALL EXPERT LOU LAMPSON, AND HE BELIEVES THIS LANCE ALWORTH SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAME WORN JERSEY IS FROM 1963.

How the heck did he talk to Lou Lampson? I know a lot of people who would like to talk to Lou Lampson (see numerous threads on $4000 St. Patrick's Day Cal Ripken jersey w/ Lampson Letter- the style never existed)