Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT: Workplace Athlete Sightings - Today's George Brett - share yours

George Brett is sitting in my office's cafeteria...

Spotting an athlete/celebrity is not a first at my office, though being in KC we don't have a ton of guys stay in town in retirement. That said, I work for a large investment advisor, so we do see a lot of traffic.

Some regulars are Chiefs Legend Safety Deron Cherry and former Chiefs QB Trent Green. Couple times a year I see Gale Sayers - he's on some of our mutual fund boards. Lance Armstrong a couple times, we have a branding arrangement with LIVESTRONG... Saw Marcus Allen once years ago and just missed Joe Montana another time.

And then there is George... I've seen him here before, he's kind of a regular. But usually just an elevator ride at the most as he comes in for some meetings but usually keeps a fairly low profile...

Today, he's all lounged out eating lunch with one of our sales people, going over his investments. But what is shocking is he's sitting right in the middle of the cafeteria. There's no privacy where they're sitting and its difficult to leave the cafeteria without walking right past him. Usually, I'd expect them to find a table in the back corner.

Anyhow all this begs the question: Why do I never have a baseball when I need one? And is this a sign that I need to reconsider the Brett gu bat purchase I was mulling over this morning?

Oh well. I wouldn't have interrupted them anyhow, and would probably get bored waiting for them to get up to leave.

Anybody have any good workplace athlete sightings?

Re: OT: Workplace Athlete Sightings - Today's George Brett - share yours

Bobby Orr sat on my company's board of directors ca. 1988 and I chatted with him in our R&D center lobby.

That's it at work though!

Working for 10 years at Toronto's SkyDome Hotel, I had daily (in season) and weekly (off season) sightings and personal interactions with athletes such as Hank Aaron, Roger Clemens, Dave Winfield, Robbie Alomar, Kobe and Shaq, Vince Carter, Carlos Delgado, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle...etc. Many stories, a few autographs and some game used gear obtained. chris
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

I worked in a hotel years ago in NJ and shared an elevator ride with Jennifer Capriotti. The hotel sponsored a tennis match.

When I was 15, I worked at one of those fancy car washes, for about 9 days... Based on the location near the part of the suburbs where most of the players lived, it was pretty much an endless stream of Chiefs and Royals players. I got to drive Derrick Thomas's car, etc. Most of the guys were really nice, but surprisingly several were very poor tippers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    I worked in a hotel years ago in NJ and shared an elevator ride with Jennifer Capriotti. The hotel sponsored a tennis match.

Vintage:

My best friend was supposed to be Jennifer's personal trainer a few years ago but he had no room in his busy schedule. I always made fun of him for not fitting her in. You have to fit someone like that in.

Aaron

Banned

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Molitor at my old job. It was a bio tech company and he does work for one of the drugs that we made. His father had a lung disease I believe and he came to speak. I got to meet him after his speach. He's a nice guy. I shook his hand and thanked him for the way he played the game....with class. He looked up surprised and was pleased that a young person like me appreciated his style of play.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    Vintage:

My best friend was supposed to be Jennifer's personal trainer a few years ago but he had no room in his busy schedule. I always made fun of him for not fitting her in. You have to fit someone like that in.

Aaron
    Yeah she's a cutie!

Warren Spahn Used to come into the Ace Hardware I worked at in Broken Arrow Oklahoma. John Smiley comes into my lumber yard when he's hunting here in kansas.

Banned

Before I dated my current and only wife, a girlfriend and I (we worked in different bureaus of the same Federal agency) used our lunch break to roam around and dine at Water Tower Place on Chicago's Michigan Ave. We stepped on an escalator, looked up, and two steps above us was Bob Gibson. I didn't have a baseball, so we just said hi (of course, she had no clue who Bob Gibson was).

Dave M.
    Chicago area