Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for Barry Meisel: NBA Finals Balls

Do you know anything about game or practice used NBA Finals basketballs? I have one from 2008 (Lakers v. Celtics), 2004 (Lakers v. Pistons) and 2001 (Lakers v. 76ers) and a few questions about them.

Re: Question for Barry Meisel: NBA Finals Balls

Hi ER,

Can't help you on 2004 and 2001, but might be able to help on 2008, since our NBA & MeiGray Authentication Program was already established.

What is your question?

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by BarryMeisel View Post
    Hi ER,

Can't help you on 2004 and 2001, but might be able to help on 2008, since our NBA & MeiGray Authentication Program was already established.

What is your question?

Barry
    I have a question for you also. I bought the two game used jerseys from the hornets. It was the Bucs throwbacks and on their it has Meigray tag and has a authentication number. Where do you type that number in on the website, if one would want to check it?

Thanks Barry, that' s why I'm asking. I tried to go after the 2009 balls, but was out-bid, but did pick-up the Josh Powell Finals jersey for my collection.

First, is there a way to determine whether a ball is game used or practice used, other than from the provenanace?

Second, I'm comfortable with the 2008 ball becasue I got it from Dan C.. It's all leather (Not I/O) Spaudling with a circled "S" states "Official Game Ball" J.West NBA logo, signed by Stern and has " Los Angeles Lakers" stamped on bottom near the inflation hole. It has "The Finals, 2008" with the NBA Trophy printed in gold, shows great use. "Made inChina."

I've photo-style matched it with Gettyimages and the balls you were auctioning and they seem identical.

With regard to the 2001 ball, it's a Spaulding ball (no circle "S") and states it is an "Official Game Ball" under "NBA" with Stern's signature. No J. West logo. It says its "Seleceted Grain Geniune Letter" near the inflation hole with a "C" on the left side and a "EX" on the other side. "Moisten Needle and Inflate to 7 to 9 lbs. Made in China."

There's a gold "The Finals 2004" with a NBA Trophy and a gold "Los Angeles Lakers" stamped in gold on the side. Again, good game wear.

Photo-style match with Gettyimages.

With regard to the 2004 ball, it is a Spaudling ball (no circle "S") but has a J. West NBA logo and large block "NBA" on the front. Near the inflation hole it states "Selected Grain Genuine Leather" and there's a "C" and a "JK" on opposite sides of the hole. There is also a serial number which is difficult to read but appears to be"029321311184." There is a Lakers logo v. 76ers logo and a "NBA Finals 2001" logo. It is also says "Official Game Ball" but no reference to a team. Stern signature. Game wear. No team stamp on the ball

I've photo-styled matched it with Gettyimages.

I got this one from 310 Management on ebay which sells alot of gu balls from various teams and other stuff.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Gremillion, j View Post
    I have a question for you also. I bought the two game used jerseys from the hornets. It was the Bucs throwbacks and on their it has Meigray tag and has a authentication number. Where do you type that number in on the website, if one would want to check it?

http://www.nbaauthenticated.com/

basketballs used in games should have a marking done by the referee on it, usually one or several X's", in black ink.

My Nigerian friend: Pictures not shown. Do all ref's do this and, if so, how long have they been doing this? Didn't see the "x's" when Meigray was selling their game balls (they went for about $3,000, if I'm not mistaken).

Sorry, home with the flu (who isn't?)

I'll respond as soon as I get back into the office.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by encinorick View Post
    My Nigerian friend: Pictures not shown. Do all ref's do this and, if so, how long have they been doing this? Didn't see the "x's" when Meigray was selling their game balls (they went for about $3,000, if I'm not mistaken).
    I had problems earlier, but now I see all the photos. please try refreshing your page and see if they appear.

Barry, feel better soon.

I vaguely remember this, but if it helps any with photomatching a game used basketball from this year's NBA Finals.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...als+basketball

Barry, feel better. You should move from Brooklyn to Los Angeles it's 80 degrees today.

You can see the 2008 ball on Getty Image #81594003. The ball with the x x x appears to be from 2005. Getty Image #50944351 (and others) for the 2004 ball and Gettyimage #71222755 for the 2001 ball.

The Final logo varies from year to year as to the various other imprinted logos, but I was told only real NBA balls are made from "Selected Grain Genuine Leather."