Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New collecting theme: Baseball's worst hitters

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...xid%3DFanHouse

Most of us focus our collecting based on a players or teams successes.

How about starting a collection of baseballs bottom ten worst hitters.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Re: New collecting theme: Baseball's worst hitters

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...xid%3DFanHouse

Most of us focus our collecting based on a players or teams successes.

How about starting a collection of baseballs bottom ten worst hitters.
    if anyone starts a collection of players who hit a lower average than Mario Mendoza, I wanna know. I like to know what the estimated budget for this collection.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    if anyone starts a collection of players who hit a lower average than Mario Mendoza, I wanna know. I like to know what the estimated budget for this collection.
    Unfortunately Mendoza fell 4700 Abs short of the required at bats to be evaluated. However one must wonder if the addition plate appearances would have helped him bring his average above the Mendoza line.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

There has been times that I have thought about collecting the worst player or the whipping boy for each Reds season. I have not gone through with it yet, but I think one day I may take on the challenge.

Last year would have been Corey Patterson.... votes also going to Paul Bako
    This season would have been Wily Taveras
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

One of the two guys I collect is a career .224 hitter. The other guy I collect is a .327 career hitter. I have to say, the .224 guy is far more fun to collect.

Chris
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Wouldn't the worst 10 hitters show no wear on the bats lol?
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Unfortunately Mendoza fell 4700 Abs short of the required at bats to be evaluated. However one must wonder if the addition plate appearances would have helped him bring his average above the Mendoza line.
    It worked for The Wizard but he is an exception just like Belanger before him. There is a point where the defensive output does not outweigh the offensive output and most players just aren't as brilliant as Belanger or Ozzie on the defensive end to make that happen. Nowadays i think the tolerance for poor hitting is lower because shortstops and second basemen are now expected to have some pop so getting those additional plate appearance can't be justified unless you are a defensive genius like Ozzie.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

I got a Bill Plummer 73-75 Reds bat. I believe he has one of the worst batting averages in baseball history for a position player. .190 or something. Yea, cracked handle, but not much use..lol.

Weird this thread just popped up. I actually had my 78-79 Mendoza down last night and was looking it over for the first time in a few years. The bat is absolutely hammered. Perhaps he only used 4 a season...

Being a Mariners collector it is safe to say I have bats from many, many players that hit below the MLB average for their careers.

I actually have a small Aurelio Rodriguez collection (he was on the list of ten worst hitters, apparently) - a couple of bats, one of them signed, a White Sox jersey, a signed ball, and a field jacket he wore when he was managing in the Mexican League. And, of course, one of his famous Rookie cards, with the photo of the batboy Aurelio sent in his place as a joke on the photographer.

How about a collection of hitters who have a ML batting average of 1.000? I met one last night, at the Arizona Fall League opener at Scottsdale Stadium. Jeff Bannister, managing the Scorpions this year; he had one major league at bat, and got a hit.